Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Birth Control Question...

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 33 Replies
I have been on the Depo shot, but I want to switch off of it. Any suggestions at what I should switch to? I have been doing research but I just don't know, I'm thinking of trying implanon.

I want to get off of the shot because I can't seem to lose weight no matter what I try and I seem to be more tired I've been on it.

What would you suggest?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I was going to go on the Implanon except I got pregnant.  :)

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM
I went from Depo to the Nuvaring after five years. I wanted the IUD, but after reading about the insertion, I chickened out. I read that all progestin-only methods are similar to each other. The con about Implanon is it might be difficult for the physician to remove and the scarring. There is supposed to be another method similar and easier for physician removal on the market soon, if it is not already.
I was considering the mini pill when I can longer afford Nuvaring-it can cost up to $80 a ring.
Good luck in your decision making.
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Congrats to you! Are you still considering Implanon?
WifeyMommy2011
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Haha, at least you get a present! :-)

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeyMommy2011
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Yea, the iud thing kinda scares me, I don't want the pill cuz that's what I was on when I got pregnant. Lol. I'm still gonna be looking and asking more about everyone elses experiences to try to help me decide.

Do you like nuvaring?

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

I went from Depo to the Nuvaring after five years. I wanted the IUD, but after reading about the insertion, I chickened out. I read that all progestin-only methods are similar to each other. The con about Implanon is it might be difficult for the physician to remove and the scarring. There is supposed to be another method similar and easier for physician removal on the market soon, if it is not already.

I was considering the mini pill when I can longer afford Nuvaring-it can cost up to $80 a ring.

Good luck in your decision making.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM
I like it. You can prolong your cycle.However, in order to use it, you must be very comfortable with your body. Some women claimed it give them yeast infections. I only experienced one since I have been on it and it was due to my elevated sugar levels; I have Type II Diabetes. Which brings me to another point, if you have high blood pressure or uncomtrollable diabetes, doctors will lead you away from the pill, ring, and patch. Was that the reason why you were using Depo or was it the every three month convenience factor (it certainly was for me)?
WifeyMommy2011
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Convenience. Lol. I forgot a lot of things when I was new to being a mom so I didn't want to have to remember to take a pill everyday at the same time. I didn't see that happening so I decided to try Depo, been on it for over a year now.

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

I like it. You can prolong your cycle.However, in order to use it, you must be very comfortable with your body. Some women claimed it give them yeast infections. I only experienced one since I have been on it and it was due to my elevated sugar levels; I have Type II Diabetes. Which brings me to another point, if you have high blood pressure or uncomtrollable diabetes, doctors will lead you away from the pill, ring, and patch. Was that the reason why you were using Depo or was it the every three month convenience factor (it certainly was for me)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Quoting WifeyMommy2011:

Convenience. Lol. I forgot a lot of things when I was new to being a mom so I didn't want to have to remember to take a pill everyday at the same time. I didn't see that happening so I decided to try Depo, been on it for over a year now.

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

With the Nuvaring, it is once a month.I know that it cannot compare to every three months, but it is better than every day at a certain time (especially with the mini pill). You take it out every three weeks, have withdrawl bleeding (a "period") and put it back in a week later. However, for the last couple of months, I prolonged my cycle or skipped my period, but taking out the ring and putting a new one in. The drawback is spotting every so often when you decide to skip a period. 

The box comes with stickers to put on your calender for "in" and "out". There is also bedside.org that emails you when it is time to put the ring and take it out (it also has reminders for pills, depo, and other hormonal methods-just go to the website and select which method you're using).

WifeyMommy2011
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Thanks! I'm gonna have to check that out!

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

Quoting WifeyMommy2011:

Quoting Mbpeaceful12:

With the Nuvaring, it is once a month.I know that it cannot compare to every three months, but it is better than every day at a certain time (especially with the mini pill). You take it out every three weeks, have withdrawl bleeding (a "period") and put it back in a week later. However, for the last couple of months, I prolonged my cycle or skipped my period, but taking out the ring and putting a new one in. The drawback is spotting every so often when you decide to skip a period. 

The box comes with stickers to put on your calender for "in" and "out". There is also bedside.org that emails you when it is time to put the ring and take it out (it also has reminders for pills, depo, and other hormonal methods-just go to the website and select which method you're using).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I haven't used any BC since May 2006. I was using Nuvaring then and loved it. When I decided to go back on BC I will be going back to it. My insurance covers it all except my copay which is 10.00 for a month supply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN