Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

kids throwing fits

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM
  • 46 Replies
So I started babysitting one of my best friends daughter today. She will be 2 on Sunday. She was taking a nap after lunch like she has for ever. Iv been in this little life since she was 3 months old. My middle daughter decides she is gonna there a fit because strawberry shortcake wasn't on. I told her to go to her room till she is done. She goes up stairs n starts throwing stuff around. Stomps her feet and wakes up the girl im babysitting. Who takes an hour nap on a good day. She ended up take a 30min nap. She woke up freaking out. So i let her up. She payed down the my 5 years old Dd for maybe 2 sec. When my friend came to pick his daughter up she wanted to beheld. He brought her home and she was being a brat. So shout her down for a nap. So i promised him I'd make sure she would get a better tomorrow...so now I have to think of a way that my middle child wont wake up her and my son. Any ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nursegramma
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

How old is the one throwing the tantrums? Is she old enough to  reason with or capable?   I can think of a few things but need to know how ol she is first. Thanks

arilolojrsmom
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM
She is 3 will be 4 in Oct. It was like after lunch she started before lunch I didn't hear a peep out of them what so ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Art projects, play dough, coloring, a movie, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arilolojrsmom
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:06 AM
That what she was doing but she wanted to watch tv. My sd is here today so maybe ill have her take her outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Why don't you lay the one you babysit down somewhere else so your child can watch tv?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arilolojrsmom
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:02 AM
She is in my step daughters room. And they did watch tv yesterday hut since the show 3 year old want to watch wasn't on she threw a fit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM
You aren't going to be able to avoid all meltdowns with kids although its great to think of ways to reduce them. I think your biggest help is going to be learning how to deal with them when they start. A child doesn't have all the same skills, experience or brain development in the prefrontal lobe that adults have in order to handle their emotions when things don't go their way. Sending them away to their room doesn't give them any tools to handle it either, it just maes them feel more upset. The two biggest things you can do when a meltdown begins is offer validation and empathy. You'll be surprised how well they calm. Give her other sugestions for how she can deal with her frustrations...maybe blowing, counting, using words calmly (this only works if mom is willing to listen with respect), or even making up sily words. Diffusing the situation with play/fun makes things much more enjoyable than anger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arilolojrsmom
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Iv tried everything it seems like when i talk to her calmly she freaks out more. Ill hug her and try to explain to her that what she did was not nice. And she will push me away and tell me she hates me and that shes going to her room. She my little diva as my sister puts it.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

You aren't going to be able to avoid all meltdowns with kids although its great to think of ways to reduce them. I think your biggest help is going to be learning how to deal with them when they start. A child doesn't have all the same skills, experience or brain development in the prefrontal lobe that adults have in order to handle their emotions when things don't go their way. Sending them away to their room doesn't give them any tools to handle it either, it just maes them feel more upset. The two biggest things you can do when a meltdown begins is offer validation and empathy. You'll be surprised how well they calm. Give her other sugestions for how she can deal with her frustrations...maybe blowing, counting, using words calmly (this only works if mom is willing to listen with respect), or even making up sily words. Diffusing the situation with play/fun makes things much more enjoyable than anger.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Since you are babysitting and if you plan to do so for a long while I might invest in some Strawberry Shortcake dvds.

startupscafe
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM

She needs authority.  Children do respect their parents better and are more secure when their parents are firm and consistent with discipline.  My son was about 18 months old when he threw a temper tantrum once.  I whacked his diapered bottom and he pouted for a few minutes, and then he never did it again.  He is 23 now and remembers it.  He remembers thinking that it didn't give him the attention he wanted, so throwing a temper tantrum didn't work.  He also learned self-control.

BTW, it isn't a good idea to reward her with cartoons, toys, and such, until she can show that she can restrain herself from throwing a temper tantrum.  Remember, she will grow up into an adult someday and might throw tempers when she is older if not corrected and shown to use self-control.

Quoting arilolojrsmom:

Iv tried everything it seems like when i talk to her calmly she freaks out more. Ill hug her and try to explain to her that what she did was not nice. And she will push me away and tell me she hates me and that shes going to her room. She my little diva as my sister puts it.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)