Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

THE SWITCH.... going from a working woman to a stay at home Mommy

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

Dont get me wrong I am glad to be home with my little boy and soon to be little girl but it is quite the adjustment! I live in a very small town and dont have many friends and to go from working 48 hour weeks to home 24/7 is proving kind of difficult. I am also a newly wed as of Friday actually :) sometimes I worry that I am going to mess up my marriage by wanting to spend so much time with my hubby when he is not working... I just get lonely and look forward to having him home with me. Anyway I just wanted some feed back any would be great :)

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a SAHM to my three (almost 4) kiddos.  I became a SAHM in '07 while pregnant with my second child.  When she was about 18 months, I went back to school.  I graduated in Nov '10 and worked for like 3 months.  I quit my job cuz I missed my kids and I was pregnant with my third.  I also worked for Satan and Satan's sister and HATED my job.  I've been home with them since.  

It IS definitely an adjustment!  Between being at home with my kiddos all day and then with DH after he gets home, I'm never alone.  Seriously, I don't remember the last time I was literally by myself.  lol  But thankfully, DH understands and he likes being with me just as much.  We aren't ever apart, and it's not because he's gone all day.  Seriously, I think becoming a SAHM made us closer.  It was weird at first, I felt like since I wasn't earning any money, that I needed to ask to spend money (which he quickly put an end to).  Just have realistic expectations.  And make sure you and DH understand that while you aren't working outside the home, you DO have a job.  You are working!  I'm home all day and when DH comes home from work, he always cleans up after dinner and cleans the kitchen.  Always.  I usually try to help, but he says I made the dinner so he'll clean it up.  Sometimes you're going to get lonely (that's what CM is for!).  

It helps to try to find other SAHM's in the area, and try to make play dates.  I actually met my best friend when they moved to town and her DD was in my DD's class.  Then she found me on here and her DD recognized my DD.  

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved becoming a sahm. I worked front desk at a hotel before that and I was just missing too much. So it was very easy to leave. I'm home alone alot, I mean all day every day. But I just find things to do besides cleaning the house and domestic goddess stuff like that. I'm online alot during the day. I also love spending time with my dh when he's home. You'll be busy, much busier than me anyway, you'll see - it won't be so bad.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Hope things work out.....I go online, hobbies, crafts, recipes, etc. to take up some of my time.

magenta_purdy
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Thank u all for ur input
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a hard time with the transition at first. It's a big change! I joined some moms groups to get the kids together with other kids and made some great friends that way. I also started a hobby that lead to me becoming a freelance designer working from home with a major magazine publisher. I also became active in local politics and eventually local activism for something that I feel strongly about. Have made great like-minded friends that way.

Dh and I love spending time together and the more we do, it only helps our marriage. We want to start our own business when he retires, so we can work together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaitybird
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 4:13 AM
1 mom liked this

It was hard for me to make the transition.  I only had been working really again since 2003 and left my job in 2008 when our dd hit the 6th grade and now she will be in the 10th.  I don't regret it, I love being able to go to all of her functions and being home when she gets home after school.  Also when dh is off we get that time together.  He usually off anywhere from 4-5 days every 4-5 days.  Once dd graduates I may go back in to the work force to work with elderly people.  Dh and I are lucky and we are able to spend all of our free time together.  We have fun.  Everyone is different in that aspect.  Right now we are currently remodeling our home and have a ton of projects going at once.  As they say when one thing happens they all start happening and there is really NO slowing down for awhile.  

Do some soul searching on you!  What do you want, friends, alone time, time with dh.  Interest that you might want.  Everything usually works out the way that it shouldn.  Good luck to you.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN