Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Where Do You Stand on the Gun Control Debate?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 15 Replies

Where Do You Stand on the Gun Control Debate?

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier on July 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

FlickrLast week's tragic shooting in Colorado has turned America's focus to gun control.

The gunman, 24-year-old James Holmes, was armed with a military-style semi-automatic rifle, a shotgun, a pistol, and gas canisters. Officials say he bought four guns in four different gun shops over the last 60 days, as well as 6,000 rounds of ammunition.

Some, including New York mayor Michael Bloomberg,  are now questioning the ease with which people like Holmes can buy guns.

"Soothing words are nice, but maybe it's time that the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it," he told a radio station on Friday. "I don't think there's any other developed country in the world that has remotely the problem we have. We have more guns than people in this country."

This week, we're asking our political bloggers what they think about America's gun control laws. And we'd like to hear from you, too.

Despite public calls for tighter gun laws, experts say the Colorado tragedy is unlikely to change anything. Further, a large number of Americans approve of the current gun laws.

According to a Gallup poll, in 2010 only 44 percent of Americans favored making gun control laws "more strict." That's down from 78 percent in 1990.

Those who oppose tighter laws cite cases of mass shootings in Europe, where gun control laws are far more strict. They say that's evidence that tighter laws won't keep tragedies from happening.

But an incident like the one in Colorado will always open the gun control debate once again. Heath Ledger's father spoke out publicly on the matter. "The guy's obviously a nut case," he told Australia's Herald Sun, referring to the gunman in Colorado. "He has obviously lost it. I think what America should be doing is restricting the availability of ammunition or revisiting their gun laws -- that's what they should be doing.''

We'll hear from our political bloggers on the subject all week long -- in the meantime, what do you think?

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starreyedcutie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think more people should use the second amendment. I think people should educate themselves on guns, and gun.safety and actually LEARN how to use the gun WELL. Bottom line criminals will always find a way to get guns and hurt people. Weather they restrict gun sales, try to ban guns ect....criminals will.always find a.way to get guns and all it'll.do is make it harder for responsible gun owners. I think.people need to learn how to and be ready to defend themselves. Yes this man got guns legally ect but if he couldn't he would have found another way. You can make bombs out of farming fertilizer and household chemicals does that mean we should ban cleaning supplies ect....millions use the chemicals the right way every day should those people suffer because of lunatics? No! You can make drugs that kill tons of people with household shit...but same goes for this instance. Educate yourself...and learn how to PROTECT yourself and your family!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I oppose gun control and cases like this are proof that gun control regulations don't work to prevent this type of thing.  It amazes me that when something doesn't work in this country, we want more of it.  This guy does not care about the law.  The law didn't stop him from doing anything.

abmaddox1981
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I totally agree with this! If people would educate themselves......Stricter gun control laws won't do anything but increase the amount of people purchasing guns illegally. Call me a redneck, call me white trash, but you can bet your tail if someone breaks into my home with the intention of robbing or harming my family they'll be scraping them up off my floor full of .357 bullets. My dad taught me to shoot when I was 5, I'm teaching my 10yo now (who's a girly girl, but she can for sure hit the target!) And I will start teaching my boys how to shoot when they're tall enough to see over the table at the range! My 3 yo knows where my pistol is, he knows that if you shoot someone with it they will be dead, and he also knows if he touches I will tan his hide!

Quoting starreyedcutie:

I think more people should use the second amendment. I think people should educate themselves on guns, and gun.safety and actually LEARN how to use the gun WELL. Bottom line criminals will always find a way to get guns and hurt people. Weather they restrict gun sales, try to ban guns ect....criminals will.always find a.way to get guns and all it'll.do is make it harder for responsible gun owners. I think.people need to learn how to and be ready to defend themselves. Yes this man got guns legally ect but if he couldn't he would have found another way. You can make bombs out of farming fertilizer and household chemicals does that mean we should ban cleaning supplies ect....millions use the chemicals the right way every day should those people suffer because of lunatics? No! You can make drugs that kill tons of people with household shit...but same goes for this instance. Educate yourself...and learn how to PROTECT yourself and your family!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Oh yeah, because there is so much evidence that gun control laws stop crimes from happening. Those criminals are awesome at following the law. Duh. If a criminal, or anyone else for that matter, wants to break the law, they will get a hold of a gun. Despite all of these "laws" meant to stop them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhyllisGB
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM

We have a right to bear arms.  I sincerely hope the govt doesn't use this incident as the impetus to erode our rights.  Our forefathers knew something of tyranny!!!!

Kaya529
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM
I think it is a stupid debate.

1) The whole purpose of the amendment was to allow people to protect themselves against the government. Unfortunately unless you have nuclear weapons, tanks, etc. it really won't work.

2) if more people had guns in the movie theater then someone could have taken out the guy and less people would have died.

3) Even if you outlaw guns there will still be crazy people who will kill. It really isn't that hard to build a bomb or get illegal weapons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I think no matter what the gun laws are or will become people will always find a way to get what they need to do what they want to do.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM

This

Quoting goddess99:

I think no matter what the gun laws are or will become people will always find a way to get what they need to do what they want to do.

johnsmama98
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Gun control only works on the honest, law-abiding people. The crooks, psychos, and truly evil can and will find a way to get their hands on guns somehow, even if they have to break in somewhere and steal them. The saying "When guns are OUTLAWED, only the OUTLAWS will have guns" is true. We do not need more gun control laws, we need a better way to deal with those that misuse them.

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Funny, most of us are on the same side of this debate :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN