Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Where Do You Stand on the Gun Control Debate?

Posted by   + Show Post

Where Do You Stand on the Gun Control Debate?

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier on July 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

FlickrLast week's tragic shooting in Colorado has turned America's focus to gun control.

The gunman, 24-year-old James Holmes, was armed with a military-style semi-automatic rifle, a shotgun, a pistol, and gas canisters. Officials say he bought four guns in four different gun shops over the last 60 days, as well as 6,000 rounds of ammunition.

Some, including New York mayor Michael Bloomberg,  are now questioning the ease with which people like Holmes can buy guns.

"Soothing words are nice, but maybe it's time that the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it," he told a radio station on Friday. "I don't think there's any other developed country in the world that has remotely the problem we have. We have more guns than people in this country."

This week, we're asking our political bloggers what they think about America's gun control laws. And we'd like to hear from you, too.

Despite public calls for tighter gun laws, experts say the Colorado tragedy is unlikely to change anything. Further, a large number of Americans approve of the current gun laws.

According to a Gallup poll, in 2010 only 44 percent of Americans favored making gun control laws "more strict." That's down from 78 percent in 1990.

Those who oppose tighter laws cite cases of mass shootings in Europe, where gun control laws are far more strict. They say that's evidence that tighter laws won't keep tragedies from happening.

But an incident like the one in Colorado will always open the gun control debate once again. Heath Ledger's father spoke out publicly on the matter. "The guy's obviously a nut case," he told Australia's Herald Sun, referring to the gunman in Colorado. "He has obviously lost it. I think what America should be doing is restricting the availability of ammunition or revisiting their gun laws -- that's what they should be doing.''

We'll hear from our political bloggers on the subject all week long -- in the meantime, what do you think?

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Replies (11-15):
LadyBugMom09
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Mexico has banned guns all together...how's that working out for them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcf523
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM
I am in agreement with everyone that has added a comment so far. I have been around guns my entire life. My grandfather was a gunsmith, my dad was an avid shooter, and I have been shooting since I could hold a gun. The only thing that I shoot are clay pigeons and paper targets. This is my form of enjoyment, my hobby. I am a safety officer at the gun range were I belong. To join our club or shoot as a guest you have to show that you know safety rules and how to handle a gun. To join our club you have to be go through the requirements in the state that are needed to purchase a pistol. Got a little carried away to say that I we have the right to have guns.
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Exactly. Since when did criminals care about laws? Isnt that why we call them CRIMINALS? Lol

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I oppose gun control and cases like this are proof that gun control regulations don't work to prevent this type of thing.  It amazes me that when something doesn't work in this country, we want more of it.  This guy does not care about the law.  The law didn't stop him from doing anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I think guns are too easy to get. There should be better laws.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Agree.

Quoting Pammi86:

I think guns are too easy to get. There should be better laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)