Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Math learning at school...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi Moms,

I'm posting this because of an article (or book chapter, I can't remember which) I read recently.  With the school year starting soon, I thought it was important to spread the important message.

I'm an elementary school teacher. I can't tell you how many times over the course of my career I've had parents tell me, "Well, my child isn't good at math and I wasn't either, so I know he'll be ok."  It sort of dismisses their difficulties. I have NEVER had a parent tell me "Well, I wasn't good at reading, so it's ok."

When your children start back to school and start getting math homework, if they struggle with it, please don't tell them that it's ok to be bad at math. I know so many people who do this and think they are comforting their child. Really, they are making it ok to not try hard and to fail at it.

If your child has difficulties with math, talk to their teacher. Get them help. Just never tell them it's ok to be bad at math. You wouldn't say that about reading.

Thanks for reading!  Wishing your children a successful school year!

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Thank you!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Thank you, I have trouble with math also.

OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think parents own fears and anxieties rub off. My boys love math and i have to keep my own distaste for it out of the equation (did you like that, lol). However, my DH is an engineer, so his excitement makes up for it, I hope!

Remind those parents that jobs with strong backgrounds in math and science pay more!

MomoLS
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Good post.  It's very true.

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 23, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Me being bad at math is even more reason to push my son to try harder at it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaitybird
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thanks for that, but there are more subjects in school than just that.  I was TERRIBLE in english, but am so Thankful my daughter likes it and is good at it along with math, science, history and whatever else may come her way.  WE try to  help when we can and we push her to do much better than I or her father ever did in school.  :)

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Thanks

MomTeacher621
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Oh Kaitybird, I know there are. I hope you didn't take offense! None was meant! I just see it so often in elementary that parents dismiss math difficulties because it was hard for them. That's all I meant. I don't see it often with them dismissing other subject areas. I'm hoping to help change that one class at a time. Best to you!

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experiences as a teacher.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN