Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Math learning at school...

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi Moms,

I'm posting this because of an article (or book chapter, I can't remember which) I read recently.  With the school year starting soon, I thought it was important to spread the important message.

I'm an elementary school teacher. I can't tell you how many times over the course of my career I've had parents tell me, "Well, my child isn't good at math and I wasn't either, so I know he'll be ok."  It sort of dismisses their difficulties. I have NEVER had a parent tell me "Well, I wasn't good at reading, so it's ok."

When your children start back to school and start getting math homework, if they struggle with it, please don't tell them that it's ok to be bad at math. I know so many people who do this and think they are comforting their child. Really, they are making it ok to not try hard and to fail at it.

If your child has difficulties with math, talk to their teacher. Get them help. Just never tell them it's ok to be bad at math. You wouldn't say that about reading.

Thanks for reading!  Wishing your children a successful school year!

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Replies (11-12):
ltmana
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:25 AM
I was always believed "I'm just bad at math". I truly believed I was stupid. Just couldn't get it. I struggled and failed and dreaded math.
I'm a 24 year old senior in undergrad and was just 'diagnosed' with dyscalculia last semester. I really wish I had gotten proper help as a child/adolescent.

Sometimes, it really is more than just not trying hard enough. if it seems to be a big problem for them, it probably is and should be looked into.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MathFour
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Crazy enough, people do math everyday. In fact, the only way you don't do math is if you're dead. 

If moms would just point this out (I did subtraction to decide what time to set my alarm, or I had to estimate because I'm using a different coffee scoop) we can improve math confidence in our kids like crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN