Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

He slapped his 4 year old in her face!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM
  • 18 Replies

My boyfriend is the sales manager at a Dodge dealership. Today, he texted me SUPER pissed off. A customer slapped his 4 year old daughter in her face and it really set my bf off.

I'm not bashing a smack on the behind. I have friends whose children only respond to a smack on the butt. I come from parents/family who use hitting to discipline, so I'm accustomed to that.

Our daughter is only 11 months old, so obviously, discipline/punishment is not something we have dealt with yet. I honestly don't even know how I feel about smacking her on the bum when that time comes around. 

Anywho, I told him that I think the law is it isn't considered "abuse" unless it's hitting with a closed fist, kicking, etc (basically extremes), leaves a mark/bruise/wound on the child, or if an object is used to hit. I don't know 100% bc I haven't looked into that much. 

He said, "Why? That's fucking stupid! If I slapped YOU in the face, it would be illegal!"

Good, valid point. So what's the difference? Is it because it's "their child to discipline" or what? A child is a human being with the same rights as any other human being.

I agree with him about it after he put it like that. 

* I'd like to add that being hit as a child didn't keep me from being rebellious. It had very little to no effect on my behavior as a child/adolescent. 

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM
It's sad but I agree I don't think it's illegal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Wow! That is just crazy!

smem24
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:38 PM

That is so sad

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Terrible :(.

happinessforyou
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I always wonder if people will do this in front of you- what will they do in private?

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Depends. Was is a very hard slap across the face or a little pop to her mouth? I have tapped my DS on the mouth at four because he wouldn't quit spitting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mummy1990
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Anything on the head I would consider abuse. A smack on the bum is nothing, but slapping a 4 year old.......thats abuse. No 4 year old should get slapped, ever. 

ltmana
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM
When we would get in trouble while in public, my parents would lean down to us and say,"do we need to make a trip to the bathroom?" At least they had the decency to remove us from public when we needed a spank on the behind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidenmommy2011
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM
I have often wondered the same thing. So sad

Quoting happinessforyou:

I always wonder if people will do this in front of you- what will they do in private?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM
This. I've also tapped my kids on the mouth for that type of thing. My SIL and her DH outright slap their kids (they are all three under 5).

When they came for a visit last month, they stayed at our house. The night they stayed, my SIL and I went to my girls' dance recital and her DH and mine stayed home with their 3 kids and our youngest. My DH said their middle child (3) was getting mouthy with her dad and he warned her "one more time and..." like 5 times and she kept doing it so he slapped her. On her cheek, open hand. My DH said the crack made him jump. He was so pissed! I was too when he told me. But he had wisely waited until the left to tell me cuz I would have jumped all over his ass.

Quoting andersongirl562:

Depends. Was is a very hard slap across the face or a little pop to her mouth? I have tapped my DS on the mouth at four because he wouldn't quit spitting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN