Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

He slapped his 4 year old in her face!

Posted by   + Show Post

My boyfriend is the sales manager at a Dodge dealership. Today, he texted me SUPER pissed off. A customer slapped his 4 year old daughter in her face and it really set my bf off.

I'm not bashing a smack on the behind. I have friends whose children only respond to a smack on the butt. I come from parents/family who use hitting to discipline, so I'm accustomed to that.

Our daughter is only 11 months old, so obviously, discipline/punishment is not something we have dealt with yet. I honestly don't even know how I feel about smacking her on the bum when that time comes around. 

Anywho, I told him that I think the law is it isn't considered "abuse" unless it's hitting with a closed fist, kicking, etc (basically extremes), leaves a mark/bruise/wound on the child, or if an object is used to hit. I don't know 100% bc I haven't looked into that much. 

He said, "Why? That's fucking stupid! If I slapped YOU in the face, it would be illegal!"

Good, valid point. So what's the difference? Is it because it's "their child to discipline" or what? A child is a human being with the same rights as any other human being.

I agree with him about it after he put it like that. 

* I'd like to add that being hit as a child didn't keep me from being rebellious. It had very little to no effect on my behavior as a child/adolescent. 

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-18):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Definitely a scary thought!

Quoting happinessforyou:

I always wonder if people will do this in front of you- what will they do in private?

splatz
by Sarah on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:36 PM
It is bs that it isn't illegal. CPS told me that legally they can't do anything unless the kid is being punched or something really extreme.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 2:16 AM

CPC woudn't stand for it here.

Dayna29
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I seen a mom do that once and I reported it to the teacher. The teacher told me that there was nothing that she could do unless the child came to her and told her. The child has darker skin so bruises didn't show up very well on him. She did a full swing at him. He was too scared to tell the teacher. I explained to him that is wasn't right and if he needed me to stand there with him, I would. I was a Girl Scout Leader and we had to report stuff like that. The mom talked to another mom and said that her kids would never tell on her because they were afraid of her. So that right there told me that she was use to hitting them. Sadly, she gave plenty of exscuses and got away with it. They moved out of county and nothing was ever done. She had also hit him in the head with a hair brush. I know that hurts. I guess I'm not use to seeing stuff like that, but I was a wreck and started crying talking to the teacher. I felt bad for the kids. A friend of mine didn't see something that happened but heard somewhat about a situation. She ended up on the child endangered list because she didn't report it. She was there but in another room. She didn't know exactly what happened. Well, it ended up hurting her because she was at the house. Now she will report everything. I don't blame her. 

mamabearlehman
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM
I've popped my kids in the mouth for talking back or spitting. Not hard, just a tap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zs_Wifey
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM
If he would have reported it the dad couple have been arrested. When w were stationed in KS dh's platoon sgt at the time slapped his 4 y.o. dd in the face at the mall for Tue way she was speaking/acting. Well someone called the cops and he was arrested. I feel the same as others who say if you treat your child like that in public what do you do to your children in private.
SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I love what CK Louis says about hitting children:

“I really think it’s crazy that we hit our kids. Here’s the crazy part about it; kids are the only people in the world that you’re allowed to hit. Do you realize that? They’re the most vulnerable and the most destroyed by being hit but it’s totally OK to hit them. And they’re the only ones! if you hit a dog they will put you in jail for that sh*t. You can’t hit a person unless you can prove that they were trying to kill you. But a little tiny person with a head this big who trusts you implicitly: ‘F**K ‘EM, WHO GIVES A SH*T! LET’S ALL HIT THEM!’ People want you to hit your kid. If your kid is making noise: ‘HIT HIM! HIT ‘EM!’”

slightlyperfect

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM
I would have lost it on that douche bag!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN