Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My hair is falling out!!! **edit

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM
  • 12 Replies
The Preggo hormones have departed and sadly so is my hair. In large clumps! I'm so sad right now I have long long hair and I can't even run my fingers through it because so much comes out! Anyone have any ideas on how to save my hair?

**I have super super long long hair. Do you think that if I cut the weight off that would help??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angie2568
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

The hair dresser told me that its very common during pregnancy. She told me to use conditioner, brush easier but more frequent.

:(

MsEmma88
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM
More frequent? Wouldn't that make more fall out?

Quoting angie2568:

The hair dresser told me that its very common during pregnancy. She told me to use conditioner, brush easier but more frequent.

:(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie2568
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Well thats what i thought, but she said normally we shed hundreds of hairs per day & when we dont brush it weighs the others down, so when we do brush it can jerk out the good follicles.

? I would ask OB doctor or pharmacist as well - they may can recommend something that can slow it down.

Schleetle
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:37 PM
It happened to me for a couple months after having DD. It didn't last too long, but it wasn't nice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Wry common during and after pregnancy. I have heard that if you keep taking prenatals it helps (also helps with lots of other stuff too!) and also if you get some black tea, let it steep for a couple hours and then pour it into a spray bottle. During your shower, spray your hair and let it sit there for a while and then shampoo and condition as normal. After a couple weeks you should see improvement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsEmma88
by Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Black tea. Thanks I'll try that I'm still taking my prenatals hoping that it will help some. With my first I lost tons of hair and I'm trying sooo hard to not have that happen to that extreme again.

Quoting baquick:

Wry common during and after pregnancy. I have heard that if you keep taking prenatals it helps (also helps with lots of other stuff too!) and also if you get some black tea, let it steep for a couple hours and then pour it into a spray bottle. During your shower, spray your hair and let it sit there for a while and then shampoo and condition as normal. After a couple weeks you should see improvement.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lawgirlmom
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

No way to stop this 100%, but there are ways to reduce amount of loss and protect your hair. Proper nutrition is super important. Foods containing  vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and vitamin E can help or supplements including previous vitamins +biotin, zinc and certain co enzymes helps the natural hair re-growth cycle.

Decrease the use of excessive shampoos and conditioners they increase the breakage of hair and makes it weak. Combing wet hair should be avoided and only use wide toothed combs   Hair  products shouldn't be used, curling and  straightening should be avoided as well.  Hair should not pulled or tightened into elastics.

use hot oil treatment to massage the scalp. Stimulates the hair follicles and hair growth.  drink plenty of water. Avoid hot showers  Hot water breaks the hair follicles and also strips the scalp of natural oils. Always wash your scalp with warm water and then end with cold water to close the pores. 

Also, I believe there's a site called folica that carries a variety of growth, concealer, and vitamin products exclusively for hair. 

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I have always heard eat more protein.....

goddess99
by Michelle on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Eat more protein.

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Booo :(.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN