Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Roller Coaster Stranded at Top of Hill for Hours Terrifies Riders

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

Roller Coaster Stranded at Top of Hill for Hours Terrifies Riders

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on July 30, 2012 at 7:25 AM

roller coaster stuckThe brand-new Superman Ultimate Flight roller coaster at Six Flags in Northern California stopped at the tippy top of the ride (about 150 feet in the air), stranding passengers and leaving authorities scrambling to get the dozen riders down safety. This, my friends, is the REAL reason to not ride roller coasters.

When I was younger, I lived for roller coasters. An avowed adrenaline junkie, it was a safe way to get a cheap fix with no broken speed limits, crappy bungee cords, or white water drowning to be concerned with. But the real danger with roller coasters isn't usually dying. It's getting stuck and being really, really uncomfortable, out of control, and bored for as long as it takes to fix the darn thing.

Spending two hours at the top of a hill in the air, half on a twist, stuck in one position is reason enough for me to leave those rides to the young'uns. See below:

Click HERE to see video.

Officials were able to use a crane with a bucket attached to reach the riders and give them water during the two hours they were stuck. The operators were eventually able to restore power and bring the ride back down (backwards).

The good news is that roller coasters are apparently designed to stop when there is something potentially dangerous on the tracks. The bad news is: then people get stuck.

In the end, this isn't a dangerous thing, it's just massively inconvenient and probably really uncomfortable, to boot. Being locked into one of those seats with the shoulder device above you isn't exactly sleeping in an easy chair. It sounds pretty much akin to torture.

No thanks!

I prefer real risks. Sure, they may be more dangerous, but they also have more reward.

I would so much rather mountain climb or raft through rapids with friends than ride a roller coaster at this point. Sure, the roller coaster is a much safer way to get thrills, but this is just a reminder that when you ride a ride, you're beholden not only to the other riders and lines and the park management, you're also just waiting for the mechanics to fail.

There is nothing fun about getting stuck on a roller coaster, but even on the worst day, mountain biking in the outdoors is a REAL roller coaster adventure with real risk. I'll take it over an annoying roller coaster any day.

Do you like amusement parks?

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Why oh why are all of these articles so poorly written?

FIND BETTER WRITERS CAFEMOM!

SlapItHigh
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I do like amusement parks.  Every time I get on a roller coaster, I do get slightly nervous about it getting stuck -- I remember when I was younger, one of them got stuck upside down.  I think if I was stuck upright, it would be fine...sucky but fine in the long run.  I just think I would have a panic attack if I was stuck upside down...plus there would be health concerns being upside down.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM
I like amusement parks but I don't ride roller coasters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZanderandBella
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

We were just there a couple weeks ago and as my husband and family were riding it, I was watching. That thing is seriously scary how it barely goes over the edge really slow (right where they got stuck). But anyways, this ride actually goes backwards so I can see why they took it down that way. Glad it wasn't on the day we were there.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I saw this on the news last night.  I just kept telling DH, "No effin way, no effin way."  lol

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I like amusement parks....but I don't ride the roller coasters....the last one I got on when I was 12...my body did not feel right so I don't get on them....

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Glad everybody is ok....

Cymbeline
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I agree.

I have seen a few that were well written, witty, and interesting. The qualifier is the important part in that sentence.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Why oh why are all of these articles so poorly written?

FIND BETTER WRITERS CAFEMOM!

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

That would suck! I would have completely lost it!

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I love amusement parks and roller coasters. Seeing news like that will not keep me from still riding on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)