Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Selling the President's Signature

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Do you remember back in January 2009 when Cynthia Arnold wrote a heartfelt letter to President Obama saying "please make our troops one of your priorities."? She wrote the letter after receiving a call from her son, Matthew, a soldier who had just arrived at Fort Hood in Texas and needed to know who might make funeral arrangements if he died serving.

President Obama responded with a personal, handwritten letter and now Cynthia is now selling it to help her son transition to civilian life.

1. What do you think about Cynthia selling something so personal?

2. Would you buy something that was personalized to someone else?

3. If you received a personalized letter from a President of the U.S.A. would YOU ever consider selling it?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
you let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And make sure you check out these posts while you wait!

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
furbabymum
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh it was worth a lot more after he died! lol Ebay went nuts after Jobs died. If Obama died that letter would sell like crazy!

Quoting Cafe Beth:

I wonder if it was worth more at that point?

Here's a little something for you!

Quoting furbabymum:

I had a friend who sold a letter from Steve Jobs after he died to help pay for some debts.

lasombrs
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM
4 moms liked this

I dont see why she cant sell it. I would probably photocopy it for proof I ever had it but if her son needs the help and people are willing to buy it why not.

I might if it was from an artist or celebrity I really liked and there was no way to get my own. I have several Jim Morrison items. I could never go get one written to me so buying from others is the only way t go.

If my child needed help I would sell everything I owned to help them. Including a small hand written letter I couldn't use for anything else

cjsmom1
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I think it'swrong

Uhura
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM

People sell autographs all the time, there's not much difference here. Yes, even personalized ones get sold.

I wouldn't buy a personalized one, no, but if someone wants to, that's their choice. It's also her choice to sell it because it is hers.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

mamadrama15
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I think her selling it makes her look very desperate to others. 

I would not buy something that was personalized to someone else.

No I would not sell it seems like it would make a hell of a story to tell others. 

TashaB82
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I have a birth announcement for my son signed by Barack and Michelle and I would never sell it. I guess things are just tough for her and she needs the money....

lovingwifey
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I find it odd that she wrote the letter on behalf of her son.  IDK its kinda common sense, but then again, I was in the Army and maybe they gave him a different breif that he did not understand.  

So now her son is out of the Army and does not have a car so she is selling the letter so he can have a car?  Seems like he wasted a lot of money while in the service.  (which I saw quite a few Soldier's do) So now they are going to make a profit because the President was kind enough to personally respond.  Wow.

Sorry, I just do not agree with that she is doing. 

blg5484
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

These are tough economic times do what you have to do i guess LOL I wouldn't buy it but if i had something like that and could get some money for it and needed something else like a car I would sell it

eevers55
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Wow. I have his signature in his book. I got it during the NH primaries right before he was elected. Maybe I should try to get a car with it. But I wouldn't even know how to go about starting that and the effort it takes is probably more than I'd want to deal with right now.

Liz132
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I don't even like Obama but if the president of the United States took the time to personally hand write me a letter, you better believe I would keep it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN