Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Selling the President's Signature

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Do you remember back in January 2009 when Cynthia Arnold wrote a heartfelt letter to President Obama saying "please make our troops one of your priorities."? She wrote the letter after receiving a call from her son, Matthew, a soldier who had just arrived at Fort Hood in Texas and needed to know who might make funeral arrangements if he died serving.

President Obama responded with a personal, handwritten letter and now Cynthia is now selling it to help her son transition to civilian life.

1. What do you think about Cynthia selling something so personal?

2. Would you buy something that was personalized to someone else?

3. If you received a personalized letter from a President of the U.S.A. would YOU ever consider selling it?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
you let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And make sure you check out these posts while you wait!

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilyPondOasis
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM
5 moms liked this

No I would not sell it -- being it was for my son.

I would not buy something personalized to some one else with their name on it -- like an autographed photo of a celeb, etc.

I would not sell a letter from the President -- to make a profit.

Only cause there are other ways to make a profit but not selling a letter and honestly -- how many people would buy it? 

Good luck to her and Thanks Matthew for serving our country but I sure hope all works out, but something that personal, and hand written to him. I would not sell it. I'd frame and it be thankful he took the time to write back. 

ladyluke2007
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't buy it.  But then again, I wouldn't write to the president of the U.S.,.......not because of who he is but more because of I don't like writing people that I don't know personally.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Here is a coffee beverage for you. :)

Quoting LilyPondOasis:

No I would not sell it -- being it was for my son.

I would not buy something personalized to some one else with their name on it -- like an autographed photo of a celeb, etc.

I would not sell a letter from the President -- to make a profit.

Only cause there are other ways to make a profit but not selling a letter and honestly -- how many people would buy it? 

Good luck to her and Thanks Matthew for serving our country but I sure hope all works out, but something that personal, and hand written to him. I would not sell it. I'd frame and it be thankful he took the time to write back. 

Threes.Company
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

1)  Well, he gave her the letter, and she read it.  What she does with it beyond that is honestly up to her.  Had she just thrown it in the trash, no one would know the difference and we would not even be talking about this.  She doesn't have to hang onto it forever if she doesn't want to.  And if someone else really wants it because they want to treasure it, then I don't see the problem.

2)  I would not personally buy something that was written out to someone else.  That seems kind of weird.  Unless maybe if it was personalized to someone else, but the famous person was deceased...  I mean, then your chances of getting your own personalized one are zero.  So if you collect items related to a certain celebrity, I can see buying something personalized for someone else in that case.  But, I personally do not collect that stuff.  I can totally see how someone else would buy this, though.

3)  In her shoes, no.  I would not sell the letter.  If the president of the United States took the time to write me a letter like that, I would be hanging onto it to share it with my kids and my grandkids and my great-grandkids, etc.  That would become a piece of history for our family to share.

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I'm glad you shared this with us.

I hope you enjoy this:

Quoting ladyluke2007:

I wouldn't buy it.  But then again, I wouldn't write to the president of the U.S.,.......not because of who he is but more because of I don't like writing people that I don't know personally.

DixieFlower
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

1. I'd say she must not see a reason to hang on to it.

2. It really depends. The US has a lot of historical documents that are archived that at one time were personalized items. So for me it would just depend on who and what.

3. No I would not sell it. For me this is part of my family's history and should stay with my family.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

We appreciate you sharing this with us. That was very well thought out!

Enjoy!

Quoting Threes.Company:

1)  Well, he gave her the letter, and she read it.  What she does with it beyond that is honestly up to her.  Had she just thrown it in the trash, no one would know the difference and we would not even be talking about this.  She doesn't have to hang onto it forever if she doesn't want to.  And if someone else really wants it because they want to treasure it, then I don't see the problem.

2)  I would not personally buy something that was written out to someone else.  That seems kind of weird.  Unless maybe if it was personalized to someone else, but the famous person was deceased...  I mean, then your chances of getting your own personalized one are zero.  So if you collect items related to a certain celebrity, I can see buying something personalized for someone else in that case.  But, I personally do not collect that stuff.  I can totally see how someone else would buy this, though.

3)  In her shoes, no.  I would not sell the letter.  If the president of the United States took the time to write me a letter like that, I would be hanging onto it to share it with my kids and my grandkids and my great-grandkids, etc.  That would become a piece of history for our family to share.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Thanks for stopping by and sharing with us. I hope you enjoy this!

Quoting DixieFlower:

1. I'd say she must not see a reason to hang on to it.

2. It really depends. The US has a lot of historical documents that are archived that at one time were personalized items. So for me it would just depend on who and what.

3. No I would not sell it. For me this is part of my family's history and should stay with my family.

MichelleMc
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it is totally up to the person. Like the president or not ( and I surely don't ), I don't see it as such a great thing. I would rather have her sons signature, the true celebrity. 

I think it would depend. There are alot of old day things where it would be to someone else that would be neat, to me or not.

Sadly, Our veterans are not a priority to people now a days. They say so, but don't live so. If that is how she needs to get money to help her son deal with the change to civillian life, then so be it. No one understands how hard it is, til they actually have to do it themselves. Sadly our veterans are not cared for, add in those that don't retire out, they especially are not cared for AT ALL. My husband is a service connected disabled veteran. but most discounts or whatnots are ONLY for retirees or active. As if the 9 years he served didn't matter at all because it wasn't 20, which is a BUNCH OF BS. 

justme_onlyme7
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I think it's a good idea for Cynthia to sell it since it's for her son. Would I buy it? No!!!  Would I sell it? Not if it's from a President I really like.

Could I get a Long Island Ice Tea please?  I will give it to my husband since he likes that stuff. :)

Have a wonderful day Cafe Beth ~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN