Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Frustrated with an attention needy baby

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 26 Replies
My son is almost five months old and he is drastically changing for the worse. Every day for the first 12 hours he's up he is so needy for attention. He's teething as well but I know he's not crying bc of his teeth bc when I pick him up or stand up w him he stops. Ive started letting him cry for extended time periods now so hell understand crying is not the way to get good attention but he is not getting the picture. I lose patience with him and feel helpless and angry about him not being the sweet baby he's been before a week and a half ago. Any advice or motivation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Scl032612
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I do help him w his teething, I use infant ibuprofen, teething rings and teething gel. I even let him bite my finger with his finger (glove) toothbrush
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM
6 moms liked this

Even if he stops crying when you hold him, it could still be his teeth.  The comfort of your touch, the smell of your skin could be enough to calm him down through the pain.  At 5 months, a baby still very much needs his mother's frequent touch and hold.  Humans are born about 9 months earlier than other mammals due to our large head size.  Because of this, babies continue to gestate for about 9 more months outside of the womb.  This is know as exterogestation.  During this time, babies crave/need a womb like environment where they are safely in the arms of a care provider, preferably mom.  Other mammals come right out of the birth canal and get up and run around, lol.  But humans are born too soon.  If they stayed inside long enough, their heads would be too big to fit through the birth canal.  Throughout time, mothers have historically worn their babies with fabric to make it easier.  Today we have tons of modern baby carriers and I would highly recommend getting a good ergonomic baby carrier like an Ergo, Beco or woven wrap.  This way you can hold your baby close and keep him calm and comforted and still be able to do things for yourself. It's a win/win!

dharmagirl
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Letting a baby cry for extended periods only tells them that you aren't there for them and make them feel insecure. If your baby is so fussy there is a reason and you need to figure out what it is, it could be so many things. The first thing you should do is go to the pediatrician and tell them what is going on, let them know about your frustration too, they will completely check your baby out to rule out any health issues and give you good advice on how to soothe your baby and keep your sanity.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM
I agree with slapit, at this age babies need your attention. letting him cry does nothing but make his anxiety worse. he us still learning.that he can rely on you, and is far too young to get the link between you putting home down and what he is supposed to be learning. invest in a good baby carrier and keep telling yourself, this too shall pass. it wont be long at all before he wants nothing to do with you.
and also...double check this, but i really thought that babies under six months were not supposed to have ibuprofen?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM
I agree also. And I've heard the same thing about the ibuprofen.

Quoting shadow_lark:

I agree with slapit, at this age babies need your attention. letting him cry does nothing but make his anxiety worse. he us still learning.that he can rely on you, and is far too young to get the link between you putting home down and what he is supposed to be learning. invest in a good baby carrier and keep telling yourself, this too shall pass. it wont be long at all before he wants nothing to do with you.

and also...double check this, but i really thought that babies under six months were not supposed to have ibuprofen?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:06 PM

This!

Quoting shadow_lark:

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:17 PM
All I'm going to say is this: I agree with slapithigh and shadowlark.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

He's teething. It's probably his teeth. I give my niece baby carrots, she loves them and they cut her teeth. That's how I cut my girls' teeth too... with veggies/fruits.

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Quoting dharmagirl:

Letting a baby cry for extended periods only tells them that you aren't there for them and make them feel insecure. If your baby is so fussy there is a reason and you need to figure out what it is, it could be so many things. The first thing you should do is go to the pediatrician and tell them what is going on, let them know about your frustration too, they will completely check your baby out to rule out any health issues and give you good advice on how to soothe your baby and keep your sanity.

Great advice.

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Quoting shadow_lark:

^you said it well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)