Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Frustrated with an attention needy baby

Posted by   + Show Post
My son is almost five months old and he is drastically changing for the worse. Every day for the first 12 hours he's up he is so needy for attention. He's teething as well but I know he's not crying bc of his teeth bc when I pick him up or stand up w him he stops. Ive started letting him cry for extended time periods now so hell understand crying is not the way to get good attention but he is not getting the picture. I lose patience with him and feel helpless and angry about him not being the sweet baby he's been before a week and a half ago. Any advice or motivation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Replies (21-26):
SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Oh ok, lol.  I learned most of that from Ashley Mongtagu's anthropological research.  He's awesome!

Quoting Bmama1:

Yeah it's pretty good. Although it might be pointless for you to read it because your reply pretty much sums up the whole book. Lol.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

No, I haven't read that one.  Is it good?

Quoting Bmama1:

Did you read "The Happiest Baby on the Block"?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Even if he stops crying when you hold him, it could still be his teeth.  The comfort of your touch, the smell of your skin could be enough to calm him down through the pain.  At 5 months, a baby still very much needs his mother's frequent touch and hold.  Humans are born about 9 months earlier than other mammals due to our large head size.  Because of this, babies continue to gestate for about 9 more months outside of the womb.  This is know as exterogestation.  During this time, babies crave/need a womb like environment where they are safely in the arms of a care provider, preferably mom.  Other mammals come right out of the birth canal and get up and run around, lol.  But humans are born too soon.  If they stayed inside long enough, their heads would be too big to fit through the birth canal.  Throughout time, mothers have historically worn their babies with fabric to make it easier.  Today we have tons of modern baby carriers and I would highly recommend getting a good ergonomic baby carrier like an Ergo, Beco or woven wrap.  This way you can hold your baby close and keep him calm and comforted and still be able to do things for yourself. It's a win/win!

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

You. Are. AWESOME. Although I haven't had any anthro classes since my early days of college. :(

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Oh ok, lol.  I learned most of that from Ashley Mongtagu's anthropological research.  He's awesome!

Quoting Bmama1:

Yeah it's pretty good. Although it might be pointless for you to read it because your reply pretty much sums up the whole book. Lol.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

No, I haven't read that one.  Is it good?

Quoting Bmama1:

Did you read "The Happiest Baby on the Block"?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Even if he stops crying when you hold him, it could still be his teeth.  The comfort of your touch, the smell of your skin could be enough to calm him down through the pain.  At 5 months, a baby still very much needs his mother's frequent touch and hold.  Humans are born about 9 months earlier than other mammals due to our large head size.  Because of this, babies continue to gestate for about 9 more months outside of the womb.  This is know as exterogestation.  During this time, babies crave/need a womb like environment where they are safely in the arms of a care provider, preferably mom.  Other mammals come right out of the birth canal and get up and run around, lol.  But humans are born too soon.  If they stayed inside long enough, their heads would be too big to fit through the birth canal.  Throughout time, mothers have historically worn their babies with fabric to make it easier.  Today we have tons of modern baby carriers and I would highly recommend getting a good ergonomic baby carrier like an Ergo, Beco or woven wrap.  This way you can hold your baby close and keep him calm and comforted and still be able to do things for yourself. It's a win/win!

Click on me to see what it's all about!

kcorbell0906
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I can symphathize...my son is 6 months and he thinks I have to be right in his face or holding him 24/7 and as much as I love to be with my baby sometimes I just need a second to breathe! Or pee! Lol. I've never been one to supoort the crying it out method, and in fact, studies show that babies do not understand this method before 6 months old. It's call the Ferber method and babies are not advanced enough to begin understanding what you're doing until 6 months at least. And even then it's not suggested because it's been proved ineffective because it doesn't instil trust and confidence in your young one. I would suggest a carrier that staps to you so that you can do the things you want without hurting and upsetting your baby. It could still be his teeth and being near you helps him....best of luck to you. 

cl1998
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM
My B is exactly the same way. He is now 7 months and when he started teething, OMG it was awful! He stops fussing when I pick him up but I think it's cause when I hold him it makes him feel better:) Honestly I would keep loving on him and help him through this! It will get better and remember there are other women out there going through the same thing!! Like me;)
achorney
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I had an attention needy baby myself. I put him in a backpack carrier and carried him around the house so i could do normal stuff, like vacuum and cook and clean and grocery shop. He would often sleep in my hair, but he was calm and content. 

it does get better, and it's probably just teething. it is frustrating, but there are options out there.

As a bonus, my figure was nice and curvy from carrying the boy on my back all the time. It was a great exercise tool! 

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Me too

Quoting jltplk25:

All I'm going to say is this: I agree with slapithigh and shadowlark.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)