Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Drinking and Newborns

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM
  • 20 Replies

Okay, so i have a friend who had a baby just a month ago . It was about 2 weeks ago she posted on facebook

"what worse than a hang over? Having to take care of a baby with a hang over and only having 3 hours of sleep". 

I mean for those moms that have newborns, did you go straight into drinking once baby was born? this girl just turned 21 today , but before she got pregnant she was a big partier . :/ Im just confused .. why would you act like this ? i mean .. I was pregnant when I turned 21 , yea i wanted a drink after baby was born, but I chose to breastfeed .. And yes, I have had a couple drinks .. (baby is 4 months old now) .. but I don't choose to have someone else watch my child or complain on facebook while hungover .. :/ 

It just bugs me .. there are soo many stupid things ppl could that are considered child endangerment .. wouldn't this fall into that catagory? Im just curious . :/ 

Im Erica .. Married to Adam .. (Sept. 2011) . Mommy to Ian (April 2012) . Im a Breastfeeding, CD'ing, Babywearing, Circin and Vacin, Apostolic Kinda Momma

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyTe684
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Nope. I'm still bf so I don't drink. I, had a taste of wine a few months ago though. But I, didn't nurse until about 9 hours later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM

My baby is almost 6 weeks (on wed) and I had my first glass of wine last night - one glass that is it lol. I wont get drunk while I am nursing! One glass of wine is fine but to get drunk to cause yourself a hangover is crossing the line :(

IansMommy2012
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Quoting LyTe684:

Nope. I'm still bf so I don't drink. I, had a taste of wine a few months ago though. But I, didn't nurse until about 9 hours later.

I didnt have my first drink after baby was born, (EBF) till he was about a month old. but it was a DRINK . (actually a shot of smirnoff) lol and that was it! Hardly enough to taste! and I had pumped so he drank that!

Im Erica .. Married to Adam .. (Sept. 2011) . Mommy to Ian (April 2012) . Im a Breastfeeding, CD'ing, Babywearing, Circin and Vacin, Apostolic Kinda Momma

IansMommy2012
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Quoting MDWife12:

My baby is almost 6 weeks (on wed) and I had my first glass of wine last night - one glass that is it lol. I wont get drunk while I am nursing! One glass of wine is fine but to get drunk to cause yourself a hangover is crossing the line :(

Yea Ian was 3 months old before I had my first "drink" .. it was a daquri at bdubs for dh's bday. i pumped out milk before i left , and then it was roughly 4 hours later before i nursed him . and i drank that followed by water for several hours . yea i mean i understand wanting to have a drink . but really a hangover?!! why can't ppl just have a beer and be done. :(  

mom2gr8tgirls
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never pumped and dumped.  If you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to bf.  

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

But concerning your post, OP, she's hungover and tired...not drunk.  Ya know?  I mean I've parented my kids completely exhausted before that I couldn't even think straight.  They're all still alive.  Should she have gone out and gotten blitzed??  Maybe, maybe not.  Not our call.  Is she doing it every night?  Is she drinking herself into a stupor while caring for her child?  That's when I'd start having an issue with it.  There are far worse things she could be doing, IMO.  Like beating her kid or feeding him/her alcohol.  She's young and eventually (hopefully) this is something she'll outgrow.  

I had my first baby at 22, and 9 days after she was born I went out and got HAMMERED (it was NYE).  DH and I probably went out once a month for the first year or so.  None of our friends had kids so we were attempting to "stay in the loop."  It didn't hurt my DD, she's an amazing kid now.  Nowadays, I think the last time we went out was before Thanksgiving last year.  Most people grow out of it, hopefully your friend will too.  

countrylife3
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I thought you weren't allowed to drink right after you have a newborn?
I wasn't allowed to drink until 6 months after birth with all three of my kids.

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM

As long as she had someone to care for her baby while she was drinking, then I can't see how it would be child endangerment.  I'm not big on drinking to get drunk so no, I didn't do that with my babies.  However, I can understand on someone's 21st birthday.

SlapItHigh
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I breastfeed but I can still drink.  I just choose not to get drunk.  Like mom2gr8tgirls said, as long as you are sober enough to drive, you can still BF without dumping.

IansMommy2012
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I realize she's not drunk . but what gets me is she still went out and drank enough to get hung over and then complained about the baby .. I just dont get it .. i mean no it's not my call .. i just didnt know if i was the only one out there thinking WTF>

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

I've never pumped and dumped.  If you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to bf.  

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

But concerning your post, OP, she's hungover and tired...not drunk.  Ya know?  I mean I've parented my kids completely exhausted before that I couldn't even think straight.  They're all still alive.  Should she have gone out and gotten blitzed??  Maybe, maybe not.  Not our call.  Is she doing it every night?  Is she drinking herself into a stupor while caring for her child?  That's when I'd start having an issue with it.  There are far worse things she could be doing, IMO.  Like beating her kid or feeding him/her alcohol.  She's young and eventually (hopefully) this is something she'll outgrow.  

I had my first baby at 22, and 9 days after she was born I went out and got HAMMERED (it was NYE).  DH and I probably went out once a month for the first year or so.  None of our friends had kids so we were attempting to "stay in the loop."  It didn't hurt my DD, she's an amazing kid now.  Nowadays, I think the last time we went out was before Thanksgiving last year.  Most people grow out of it, hopefully your friend will too.  

IansMommy2012
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Quoting countrylife3:

I thought you weren't allowed to drink right after you have a newborn?
I wasn't allowed to drink until 6 months after birth with all three of my kids.

I dunno .. never heard that one . :/ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)