Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is my son's backpack inappropriate?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 41 Replies

My son's first day of second grade is tomorrow. He picked out a star wars back pack at Toys R Us about a month ago. I didn't really look at it right then (I have a 22 month old as an excuse). About a week ago, I realized that the storm trooper on the backpack is holding a huge gun! I keep going back and forth between thinking that no one will notice or care, and thinking that the principal is going to call me in. I'm worried that my family will be in trouble over this - and as a result famous at the school for the wrong reason! I've tried to not worry about it - but here I am at 7pm thinking about a mad dash to the store.

Here's a link that shows the backpack:  http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11654256

What do you think?

Thanks for the opinions!

by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmmaZate
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I don't think so... But the school might
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
enafaye
by Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I've seen that one, and it just seemed like a movie poster or something.   If in doubt, maybe take a moment and get a back up?  Will your son be upset? 

VioletPlacebo
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

If they have a zero tolerance policy about guns/knives/weapons on things at school, take it back. Otherwise let it slide and see. My nephew got suspended for a day for having what LOOKED like knives on his shirt. In all actuality it was a tie dye pattern and graffiti but it was the school against my sister and the school won because they have a zero tolerance policy.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I would not think its a huge deal but the school might. The one I work for is very strick and if the kids even say the word they flip!

1boy1girlmama
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Meh I bet it's fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

MichelleMc
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I see nothing wrong with it, however, I would get another one. Schools are BEYOND picky. Anything at all that even pertains to guns is a no no. No pictures at all. Even in star wars, it can be considered a situation that you don't even need your guy to go thru.

bizeemommy
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I would have a back up, just in case.   I think most are going to see it and say Star Wars and not have any concerns but there is always one that will say there is a gun and we can't have those at school.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM

So, what did you do?

ohio_momof2
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I sent him off on the bus this morning with the backpack. I asked one of the moms at the bus stop about it - she is a high school teacher. She didn't think it would be a big deal. But I just don't know - the school has never sent home any literature about a zero policy. But another mom told me a story last year about a child who was forced to go to therapy after pretending to shoot another kid with his forefinger and thumb in the gun sign. I thought that might just be a rumor - but of course you never know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)