Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is my son's backpack inappropriate?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son's first day of second grade is tomorrow. He picked out a star wars back pack at Toys R Us about a month ago. I didn't really look at it right then (I have a 22 month old as an excuse). About a week ago, I realized that the storm trooper on the backpack is holding a huge gun! I keep going back and forth between thinking that no one will notice or care, and thinking that the principal is going to call me in. I'm worried that my family will be in trouble over this - and as a result famous at the school for the wrong reason! I've tried to not worry about it - but here I am at 7pm thinking about a mad dash to the store.

Here's a link that shows the backpack:  http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11654256

What do you think?

Thanks for the opinions!

by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
Aphrodisiac
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM

No

vannadahlia
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
It's just a backpack. Should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supermommyof423
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM
With everything that has been going on in our world I don't think having anything with guns or knives should be the thing to do. It starts way to much trouble. I would make everything my kids wear or use kid friendly. Star wars isn't kid friendly if you ask me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Radarma
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

How did it go? Be sure to let us know if the school had anything to say.

(I highly doubt they will btw)

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I don't think so

ohio_momof2
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM

No one said anything to him about it yesterday. But that doesn't mean that it won't get noticed in the future. I think our school is pretty strict about this kind of stuff. I got the suggestion from another mom to cover the gun with a sticker. I like that idea so I'm going to try to find the right thing to stick on top of that.

I appreciate all of the opinions on here! I've had the full scope of comments from those of you who think that there is nothing wrong with it to those who think that the backpack is inappropriate no matter what the school's opinion is. It's great to have such honesty and all of the food for thought.

If anything happens with the backpack at school I'll let you all know right away!

Thanks,

Elaine

motheroprincess
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I don't think so, but the school might. I would pick up another backpack just to be safe and keep this one for sleepovers or whatever. 

SavdNSanctified
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I think it's fine.

pampire
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM

If they have a problem with it they are idiots.  It's a picture of a fictional character holding a fictional item.  On a backpack.

gina-hufford
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM

they may not like it now even more with that shooting that just happends but that sticker this dose sound like a good idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN