Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (101-110):
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting Cafe Beth:

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

Instead of coffee this time, could I have a large glass of chocolate milk, please?  :)  Thank you.  :)

1. My thoughts are this, it is only going to get worse before it gets better. If it gets better. As a whole, our society has lost something precious over the last 30 years or so.  It's get them  before they get me. We don't think about respecting another person's views and how they would feel if we did something that may or may not be in-apprpriate to anyone else.  This is sad really.  

2. No, I do not think that children  are safe at school anymore. 

3. I'm not exactly sure there is a miracle solution to this problem, but, I do know that what we are doing is NOT working. Its time we found another idea that might work.  Something is better than doing nothing at all. 

And that, is my 2 cents worth on the matter. 

undefined

Star.in.the.Sky
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Can I have a raspberry mocha please?

I heard people say that their school might have metal detectors at every enterence of the school and hand out clear backpacks so teachers can see what is in the backpacks. This seems completely insane but I'll let the staff do whatever they gotta do to keep our children safe.
I feel safe about ds's preschool. There's a walk in door then the next door you need to put in a passcode that parents receive in the mail. If u forget your passcode or have someone who don't know the code picking up ur child there's a buzzer that u hit and it leads u to a teacher. U then have to say "I'm (child's name) grandpa" or whatever. Then they let in and u cant take the child with u until u show identification-- passcode or no passcode. Also if u have 3 failed attempts on the passcode it results in an alarm going off and the cops arriving.
LittleBirdFly
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM

sad but true they will need metal detectors in every school.

Playitagain
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I have a friend who is freaking out that I am flying cross country on Sept. 11, I was in NYC on 9/11. Fear wont stop me from flying or from going to NYC. I look at school shootings and other things very much the same way. I live outside Detroit, I have 5 kids, and do not fear them going to school. Things have happend in our district and the local news when school is in session always has some HS student doing something harmful to another person, mostly in Detroit itself. I know my kids schools have plans that they practice during the school year for all kinds of things. I used to do airraid drills they do shooter drills, its the world we live in and living in fear wont help. I dont think there is one good way to prevent this type of thing, mental detectors at doors, cops in the halls, if there is something Detroit Public Schools has shown in recent years its that when somebody really wants to do something bad they will. 

forbiddenfun344
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I would not feel that my child is safe at school. I am glad that for now my daughter is not in school. It seems like there are so many shootings lately. Really scary :( I hope that the victim will be okay. I would be so devestated if my child got shot at school!

diamondblue
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I work in a school where we have several hundred open enrolled students from surrounding districts who choose our school beause of our dedication to quality education and lack of violence.  That being said, it's not just students who do these things.  As an employee, I have been afraid of angry parents who may lose control over custody disputes, marrital strife, money, depression, etc...  The best we can do is be informed by those who know and put the school in lock down.  I'm glad I didn't hear about this shooting on the news.  There would have been more, I'm sure.  I believe prayer goes a long way, and it's the only thing I have that gives me peace of mind when I know situations are beyond my control.  May all your children and family members who work in schools remain safe!

pampire
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I need a margarita.

This is the first I've heard of it.  Yay for not watching TV!  It sounds like he either planned to kill himself or make the cops do it for him.  The fact that he was taken alive is great.  Talking to the aggressors in these situations I think will be the best way for us to learn how to prevent future shootings.

I think kids are as safe at school as they are anywhere.  Random violence is just that.  A crazed gunman can choose any location for a shooting.

There are two things that we need to do to prevent more shootings.  Parents need to be more attentive to their kids.  Teens are moody, we kniow this.  But if your kid is progressively moodier and more withdrawn get in his grill and find out what is bothering him.  Accept whatever the answer is and help him deal.  We also need to teach our kids how to recognize someone in crisis and reach out to them.  Or get them on an adult's radar.

smokisses
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

There was a shooting in Little Rock by Baseline street.  A kid brought a gun and shot another kid's hand.  THIS WAS AT THE BUS STOP!!!

smokisses
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM

This was LAST WEEK. 

Quoting smokisses:

There was a shooting in Little Rock by Baseline street.  A kid brought a gun and shot another kid's hand.  THIS WAS AT THE BUS STOP!!!

Christie1952
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I do not feel that our children or grandchildren are safe in public school. Between shootings, abusive teachers and predators who frequent schools children are not safe!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)