Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
sissyboogs
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM

French Vanilla Cappucino please. 

First, I think we need to stop making these shootings so highly publicized. Clearly, this kid wasn't out to end his own life as he suggested in his facebook post. If that were the case, he could have done so quietly in his own home. Instead, he took a gun to school and shot someone else. That tells me he wanted the "fame" that comes from such an act, and that's what he's getting. 

The status was posted hours before school started--someone had to have seen it. Nobody said anything? Nobody questioned it? 

Did this child have signs of any kind of psychological disturbances prior to this? Was there a history of depression? I'm sure we don't know these details, but I just have to wonder about any child (or really, any person that does something like this without any real provocation) what causes them to decide to take a gun and shoot someone. I mean, if it was the middle of the year, and there was evidence they had been bullied to the point of feeling tortured, I could almost understand their desperation...but this, I just don't understand. 

As far as my own children, they are 2 and 4. My 4 year old is starting preschool this year, and I am not concerned about him and his school. We are hoping to be moved by the time he starts public school next year because we do not like the school district we are currently living in. Really though, this can happen anywhere, and no school is safe. How long ago was it that the amish school was shot up in PA? Movie theaters, malls, it's everywhere. 

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Along with the physical wound there is a whole lot of emotional healing that will need to happen in a lot of people.

Here is your hot cocoa. I hope you enjoy it!

Quoting delanna6two:

Hot Cocoa please...

So very sorry to hear this....I think any of these type situations are very sad....hope those hurt will be ok....

MonicaV1982
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Can we stop focus on the statistically insignificant events? This is very sad, but this is not something that occurs very often. It only seems like that because the news focuses on negativity.

RockinPiscesMom
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM
White chocolate latte please.

It's very sad when a student any age feels that taking out their emotions through violence is the only way to deal. Kids shooting other kids is insane to me!

My son isn't in school yet, but I do think it will be a little nerve racking for me when he does start because geez the age that kids are able to get their hands on guns and other weapons is getting younger and younger!

Besides the obvious ways to prevent events like this, there isn't much else schools can do without making the students feel imprisoned. These kids just don't have the coping strategies to handle their emotions in a non-violent way...it starts with the parents not the schools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM

It is not known yet where or how he got the gun.

Enjoy your trenta iced coffee!

Quoting mmtosam06:

I need a trenta iced coffee please. I think this is a sad situation all around. I put my daughter in a charter school (private school without tuition). I would be devastated if something like that happened in her school:(. I wanty to knwo why the parents left the gun out in easy reach of the child? Why wasn't the gun locked up? If i were the parent of the child that got shot I would be suing (no joke) the kid who was the shooter's family. That is pure plain negligent on their part for being reckless and not putting up that gun.

MomOf2LilGirls
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I'll take a caramel iced coffee :]

I hadn't heard about this.  But I agree w/ some of the other ladies.  I "feel" safe atm w/ my kids in Elementary school but as I think about them moving onto Middle school and High school it frightens me.  I don't care if you think you live in a safe area or not kids who are neglected or feeling as they are missing something can snap.  It's not just the kids from the low poverty area's that snap and start shooting every one.  It's sad, it really is but this is the day and age that we live in.  There isn't much we can do to prevent it besides all start home schooling and I unfortunately have to work to feed my family. <------  And this scares me the most because I know I can't prevent crazy stuff from happening.  If something did happen to one of my kids at school I think I would feel a little bit to blame because I couldn't prevent it :(

kimscorner
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Coffee, no cream, lots of sugar :)

Our school district has a "lockdown system" too, no one can access the entire building, you can only access the office, and even that door is locked.  There is only a window you speak through.

But the worry isn't a random person coming into the building shooting, it's the student that has severe mental issues that is the worry.  As a pp stated, no school is safe.  Any public place isn't anymore.  Grocery stores, malls, you name it.  Very sad.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for your replies. I think it was definitely helpful that they had a police officer on hand.

Here's your Caramel Frappe. Enjoy!

Quoting Janet:

I'll take a Carmel Frap. please..

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you

Quoting Cafe Beth:

It is not known yet where or how he got the gun.

Enjoy your trenta iced coffee!

Quoting mmtosam06:

I need a trenta iced coffee please. I think this is a sad situation all around. I put my daughter in a charter school (private school without tuition). I would be devastated if something like that happened in her school:(. I wanty to knwo why the parents left the gun out in easy reach of the child? Why wasn't the gun locked up? If i were the parent of the child that got shot I would be suing (no joke) the kid who was the shooter's family. That is pure plain negligent on their part for being reckless and not putting up that gun.

Stephanie nice to meet you.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. :)

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Thanks for your replies. I think it was definitely helpful that they had a police officer on hand.

Here's your Caramel Frappe. Enjoy!

Quoting Janet:

I'll take a Carmel Frap. please..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)