Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (131-140):
devildogtigress
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Yes...my children are a sage as humanly possible in school....because we homeschool. We do so for a plethora if reasons, not really because of violence (that would actually be towards the bottom of our list if reasons) but it certainly is a perk to not have to worry about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
recanada
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM
I'm a teacher too and homeschooling now. Even the socialization options are better. Shootings aren't my only reason but it's not a bad one. I've opened up my home to other parents who want to homeschool but can't cause they have to work. Maybe you can do something like that. We all need to work together to get these kids safe. Praying for both those boys families.

Quoting JJDSilva:

Goid God this is getting out of hand already! In the past 20 years school shootings have increased almost 40%. Thats insane!!!!! I am thinking maybe home schooling is not such a bad deal amyways. Im already a teacher, might as well teach my own kids in the safety of my home. I know, cant keep them in bubbles, neex to expose them but screw it id rather they be safe. My heart goes out to that injured child and the family. So so sad!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Mocho frapp please. This is so sad.

crazyheart232
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

It's sad to hear there was a shooting on the first day of school. Right now I feel that my children are safe in school. there is obousily something wrong with the kids today for them to want to kill their class mates. I think that kids today are meaner than they were when I was in school but then we got in a lot of trouble if we were mean to another class mate.

bobbysangel2006
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I don't belong to this group but this school is about 30 minutes from me and everyone in all school in Maryland are in an uproar. The irony of it, there IS a police officer in ALL middle and high schools in MD and it was not this officer who intervened to disarm the boy but a counsellor and other teachers. They did announce today that he is being charged as an adult with attempted murder, harrassment and weaprons charges.

startupscafe
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Solution:  Train and arm each faculty member of each school.  Shooting will never happen again.

Quoting Janet:

They should have police at every high school. Metal detectors maybe. Other than that there isn't much they can do.

mamaeagle216
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1. I think any school shooting is a tragedy.
2. My kids are in a amazing school. However, they will never be completely safe anywhere.
3. I don't think there IS a way to prevent the school shootings. We teach our children to be intelligent. They will always be one step ahead of us. They will always find way around it. We teach kids to anticipate anymore. They know what adults are gonna do before they do it and adjust accordingly. I don't like it but it is what it is.
startupscafe
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember in my high school days when there were no school shootings, and kids drove pickup trucks to school with their shotguns hanging in their back windows and there was no problem with that.  Nowadays, most kids are freaked out by guns.

Also, back then, there was more discipline.  Parents spanked their children because they loved them enough to show them that they will have consequences to bad behavior, saving them from having to end up in jail because they didn't know self-control.  Spanking was a corrective action to having temper tantrums as youngsters, but now that there is no longer much spanking going on to correct the temper tantrums, they grow up still throwing temper tantrums.  And as they get older, the temper tantrums are much more violent in nature.

Quoting crazyheart232:

It's sad to hear there was a shooting on the first day of school. Right now I feel that my children are safe in school. there is obousily something wrong with the kids today for them to want to kill their class mates. I think that kids today are meaner than they were when I was in school but then we got in a lot of trouble if we were mean to another class mate.

noTimetothink
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

i don't worry to much here. we have NEVER had an issue even close to this and we are in a very small town. i feel good about sending my kids to their school.

i would like a cappuccino with whipped cream and cinnamon on it please. oh and one of those cookie straws, thank you!!!

Jaybo
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

As long as the US upholds the outdated second amendment, "the right to keep and bear arms,"  originally passed in the days of our forefathers who's only manner of "arms" was a one shot musket, kids will never be safe in schools.

With so many high powered rifles and automatic weapons owned and carried by so many Americans nowadays, kids will never be safe in the streets, the parks, the pools, at fast food outlets, in coffee shops, in shopping malls, in parking lots, etc. etc.

To make it even worse. Americans are now permitted  to carry a concealed weapon into a bar, & college & university students are now permitted to carry a concealed gun while on campus. 

When and if, America ever quits being so gung ho, shoot before you look, gun happy, maybe ALL our children and grandchildren will have a chance to live to adulthood.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)