Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (141-150):
crazyheart232
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

that is so true. There is a lot of abuse going on but the ones that are always in the eye of DCFS or CPS are the ones who are just trying to show their kids that there are consquences for the actions they have chosen to have at that time. I personally think that many of these shooting would not happen if the parents whould take a different approach in raising their children.

sterlstephsean3
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

When kids are doing these sort of crimes..........where are the parents and what are they saying? what is so wrong with the generation of today, that everything seems to result in violence? They have everything  and resources to things we didn't have. Before the "no spanking your child law" was put out there, seriously how many kids where doing these things. idk, it's sad that this was his last result to his life's problems. We need to stand together and take our children lives in our hands before we have a problem that is to difficult to find a solution to.  I hope the kid that was shot turns out to be fine.

Mommy2mine
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Sadly its just as likely this student was able to obtain the gun of the street in baltimore and assemble it with him parents ever knowing. Only negligence could be that they didn't notice how depressed and dispondant he'd become to hit the low to that he'd gotten to in order to decide his only only solution was to open fire on his classmates :(

Quoting mmtosam06:

I need a trenta iced coffee please. I think this is a sad situation all around. I put my daughter in a charter school (private school without tuition). I would be devastated if something like that happened in her school:(. I wanty to knwo why the parents left the gun out in easy reach of the child? Why wasn't the gun locked up? If i were the parent of the child that got shot I would be suing (no joke) the kid who was the shooter's family. That is pure plain negligent on their part for being reckless and not putting up that gun.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Not let my kids go to school blah if only..just scary
msuknow
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Unfortunately this is.the world.we live n now. ALL schools need cameras all over, metal detectors, n pat downs. Our kids r not safe anywhere....how sad iz that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sterlstephsean3
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM

What approach would that be? Like I said, if you think about it, were not like this generation.  Well, i am 38 and This was never heard of. the laws also need to change too. We need to get out of the damn t.v and the salons,  and shopping malls and freak'n raise them seriously.  what do you really think the problem is?

devildogtigress
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Really? Because shooting rates are so low in countries who banned guns? And criminals obey laws?

Quoting Jaybo:

As long as the US upholds the outdated second amendment, "the right to keep and bear arms,"  originally passed in the days of our forefathers who's only manner of "arms" was a one shot musket, kids will never be safe in schools.

With so many high powered rifles and automatic weapons owned and carried by so many Americans nowadays, kids will never be safe in the streets, the parks, the pools, at fast food outlets, in coffee shops, in shopping malls, in parking lots, etc. etc.

To make it even worse. Americans are now permitted  to carry a concealed weapon into a bar, & college & university students are now permitted to carry a concealed gun while on campus. 

When and if, America ever quits being so gung ho, shoot before you look, gun happy, maybe ALL our children and grandchildren will have a chance to live to adulthood.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nynaeve24
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM
First, I don't think a 15 year old is a child, and apparently either does the State of MD, who has charged him as an adult, and second of all, if anybody is under the delusion that you could lock your own weapons up in your own house for 15 years from your own family and them not know how to get to them at a certain point. Then what would the point be of having them? It just doesn't seem plausible to me. Does anyone know if they hunted with them? He was 15 not 5, it is not unreasonable that he should know where they are, for home protection and have access to them for what ever reason they had them. No parent can imagine what either of these parents are going through, this boys, or the boys parents sitting in Shock Trauma, or the parents trying to calm their probable waking students at night from the trauma of such events. My prayers go out to all of the families.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
startupscafe
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Jaybo,

If you have no gun in your household, how will you protect yourself from a rapist that has broken into your home, or defend your family if someone comes into your home while you are asleep?  How will you defend yourself? 

If every faculty member carries a gun at school there will be no more shootings.  If these kids who want to shoot sees every faculty member carrying a gun, they will think twice about bringing a gun to school.  Like I said in another comment, when I was in high school kids drove to school in their pickup trucks with their shotgun hanging in the back window.  There were no shootings, and there was no problem with the guns hanging in the back window.

While temper tantrums go unabated, the kids grow older still throwing temper tantrums becoming much more violent in nature.  In the old days, parents spanked their children because they loved them enough to correct them so that they wouldn't end up in jail later because they have not learned self-control.

Quoting Jaybo:

As long as the US upholds the outdated second amendment, "the right to keep and bear arms,"  originally passed in the days of our forefathers who's only manner of "arms" was a one shot musket, kids will never be safe in schools.

With so many high powered rifles and automatic weapons owned and carried by so many Americans nowadays, kids will never be safe in the streets, the parks, the pools, at fast food outlets, in coffee shops, in shopping malls, in parking lots, etc. etc.

To make it even worse. Americans are now permitted  to carry a concealed weapon into a bar, & college & university students are now permitted to carry a concealed gun while on campus. 

When and if, America ever quits being so gung ho, shoot before you look, gun happy, maybe ALL our children and grandchildren will have a chance to live to adulthood.  

startupscafe
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

If schools won't arm and train the faculty members in schools, then the only other solution is for everyone to homeschool.  One or the other will bring an end to this.

Quoting msuknow:

Unfortunately this is.the world.we live n now. ALL schools need cameras all over, metal detectors, n pat downs. Our kids r not safe anywhere....how sad iz that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN