Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (181-190):
babygirl3112005
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to say i disagree. I have guns in my home and my children have been taught from day one gun safety and respect. I was also raised around guns.  

Quoting taina361:

white chocolate frappuchino

This is why I am againt guns. People love their guns and fight to be able to get them easier and faster, but plenty of people are to stupid to own one. I think anybody with kids at home shouldnt have guns period. 

MoonStruckMom
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this
JMO, we need to start parenting more. We are not supposed to be our kids friends, we are supposed to be their parents. That said, more structure in the home is needed, not more structure in the school. The teachers are no longer allowed to discipline children as they were just a couple generations back. Yet they are expected to control twice as many kids ... Who are completely disrespectful, are rude, cruel and even go so far as to threaten the teachers and laugh/brag about it. Structure and discipline is severely lacking, and incidents like these are far more common because of it.
MrsMae
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

NO GOD, NO PEACE! KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE! When I was in the fifth grade, I learned the 23rd Psalms and we always said a prayer and our Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. Niow, there's not much prayer in the homes, some children have never been to Church and have no clue who God is.  So, as long as there is NO  God in these children lives and we keep allowing the type of tv programs our children watch we will keep on having devestation in our schools and anywhere eles in this world. People think it funny to hear a child tell their parents how they hate them!  Well, there nothing funny about that.  Some of the programs are training that it's ok to live any way we want and there's no consequencies to our actions.  If you don't believe me, just keep watching! It will not get any better. Let us pray for our children and teach them about God.  Tell them that Jesus died for our sins.  THIS IS FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!

MrsMae
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM

moonstruckmom THANKS! You said part of what I was thinking.  You are so right! It starts in the home.  Teachers are not able to teach because of disrespectful children.  I can remember sitting in my son's class and it took the teacher more than 25 minutes to get these rudely children under control, then it was time to change class.  Therefore, nothing was taught or learned that day. Teachers should receive the same salaries as the NBA Players!  Just the other day in Nashville, TN a child videoed a teacher snatching a 15 yr. old child out of his chair and on the floor they went fighting!  It was stated that the child was cursing at the teacher and laughing about it.  Now, the child's parent have retained an Attorney.  Can you believe this?

babbo10.07
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM
How is this an issue of needing more cops at school? Isnt't this a gun Control problem? Why are guns so readily available? Why did this kid have such easy access to the gun? And why do the parents have the gun if they can't keep it safely locked away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MOMMYJM
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Mocha Frap please!

No, I dont think schools are safe. 

I think this is a very unfortunate event and my prayers go out to all families affected.

Unfortunately this is the world we currently live in and we as a society are breaking down.  Yes parents should be actively parenting and yes morals and values should be taught to our kids.  I for one, refuse to allow this broken down society and public schools to teach my daughter what is right and wrong which is why I now Homeschool her.  I know I cant protect her and shelter her from everything but I can build a strong foundation and pray she makes the right choices once shes able to!! I know homeschooling is not the solution for everyone but it was for me!

One_Awesome_Mom
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 3:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Homeschooling.... It's kids like that that make me want to homeschool more and more. I don't know what I would do if my baby didn't come home from school... Hope the other child makes a full recovery.
GrannyM.
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM

How did he get the gun...who did it belong to?  Sadly todays society is full of angry young men capable of going over the edge at any given moment. Blame can come from many directions but somehow as a society we are failing our young people. This kind of thing is just going to happen more and more in my opinion. How do we stop it?   I don't know.....

rosestevens85
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not guns that are the problem. It's how you handle guns. Cars kill people every day. It's not the car thats the problem it's the person driving the car.

Quoting babygirl3112005:

I have to say i disagree. I have guns in my home and my children have been taught from day one gun safety and respect. I was also raised around guns.  

Quoting taina361:

white chocolate frappuchino

This is why I am againt guns. People love their guns and fight to be able to get them easier and faster, but plenty of people are to stupid to own one. I think anybody with kids at home shouldnt have guns period. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teqrose66
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I come from Middle Tennessee ... and there is no way my son could ever get one of our guns .....short of blowing up our safe there is no way. I think that we need to parent a little closer and by this I mean .... really spend actual time with our kids ...... know who there friends are what music they are listening to .....what they are seeing on the Internet ... most parents of teen are raising someone they really don't even know. They comfort themselves with facts like .... I bought him everything he asked for .... I was right here if he needed me. That's not good enough especially when they are teenagers..... They need you the parent to constantly should love and true interest in their lifes. I think that a lot of parents start out as helicopter parents and end up being absent parent .... A parent that turns around one day and they have this kid that wants nothing to do with them so they  the parents feel rejected so they give up trying .... and in turn that makes the kid feel more rejected. Just my thoughts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)