Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (191-200):
Susan0202
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I live in a very small Canadian province where shootings are almost  awlays gang and drug-related, it seems. They make our local news as young men of color are more often than not the intended victims and the shooters, its seems. Its hard to grasp that this kind of gun violence goes on in your schools.I really  belie that better tighter gun control laws would put a real dent in all these US mass shootings, sprees, school shootings.I  think it will take a rewriting of Congressional  laws to end  gun violence that will  help to solve this problem. You have a right to bear arms' seems archaic and extremely dangerous in light of so many recent events. I do  know that the UK has had shool shootings, though they have much fewer guns in general.

IrishMama88
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I live in this area, and believe me, it was a pretty big shock.  This high school is located in a fairly affluent upper middle class neighborhood (we rented in the area for awhile, but couldn't buy a home there because we couldn't afford it -- we're living about 10 miles away in a slightly riskier area).  They don't have metal detectors or a huge security presence there because it was never deemed necessary.  The shooter targeted the special education table first for some reason (the boy who was shot has Down's), so clearly he didn't care who he hit.  Facts are still coming out, but this boy seems pretty disturbed.  It is a very sad situation and we're all still reeling from it.

SeLeNaMoMMii
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Iced Vanilla Coffee please!!
It's sad and makes me want to homeschool my kids because that way I know for sure that no student will come in and start shooting.
ms-superwoman
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I think that it is sad that this boy thought he had to go that far. Obviously, something was going on with him, bullying,, etc..? I believe that after something like this the schools are much safer than before. I feel that these situations usually happen because the kids are being bullied and tormented. I think paying more attention to the kids and getting them help before hand. Also, I believe that having more security at schools is a good idea.

twillison
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I am not afraid of elementary and middle school, it's high school that is scary for me. I do not believe there is a cut and dry answer, I think the problems come from many angles...

1) Parents don't seem to parent much anymore and almost seem to expect that someone else deal with their child.

2) Even if a parent wants to be there, we are in a society that makes it REALLY hard for a parent to stay at home and actually raise kids.... and too often as a society we view stay at home parents as not valid.

3) We keep taking funding away from schools and making the class rooms bigger and bigger and teaching each child seems to get lost.

I could keep going, but I really feel that as a society we have lost the idea of a family and our children are the ones that suffer. My son is only 3, but I could see what was happening with both of us parents working. We were too tired to really control what was going on and we'd put him in front of the t.v. when we got home. I have had this view of our society for a long time and yet here I was contributing to what I hate! We formulated a plan to get rid of most of our expenses. We moved to an inexpensive home and eventually I became a SAHM. Within the first month there was a dramatic change....

"Be the change you want to see in the world" ~ Gandhi

kolteastmom
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Carmel machiotto please... I spoon don't know how to spell that
my old hs had metal detectors.. I didn't mind it made me feel safe some pol complained about it but would you still if it was ur friend child or sibling who got shot or stabbedi say take precaution whether u think u need them or not..
Keep our children safe or mine went going to school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Iced coffee please extra cream and sugar in the raw

my dd goes to a small school there are about 80 kids total and its k-8, it is a very safe school every one is like a big extended family.  the parents a 100% involved which i think makes all the difference when it comes to issues like shootings or even bullying. I don't know that there is a way to "fix" or put a end to violence in schools i really believe it all has to start with parents being involved putting their child first and really listening to them . there really has to be something big missing from a child's life when he thinks its a good idea to bring a gun to school and hurt others and himself. Its just a very sad situation all around.  

LadyBear1
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM

With all the bullying in schools I don't believe they are safe....especially in higher grades.  These children get pushed to the breaking point by other children in many cases.  Yes....the parents should have all weapons locked up at ALL times.  We do!  We're hunters, but our children can't get to the guns.  That would be just irresponsible on our part.  But the violence is not going to end because of irresponsible people and children that are backed into corners like wild animals.  I would be suing the parents of the shooter personally. 

LuvMyHazelEyez
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Honestly, where I currently live, small town midwest USA I am not too worried about it, my brother went through the school system here and there were never any worrying incidents, my son is enrolled in the elementary school (well, the only elementary school for k-2, then they change schools to one closer to home) and I feel safe with him there. If that sense of security changes, it makes me really reconsider taking some college courses so that I can be fully capable of homeschooling him later in life if needed. I want to make sure my son is learning the most he possibly can, while continuing to excel with other students and being in a supportive environment. If I were talking about the area I grew up in though, which was not small town midwest ... I would be much more concerned. 

BabyBrooke13
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

the shooter was 15 yes, but the victim was a random target, a 17yo special needs student with downs syndrom . . . the shooter did this as an attempted suicide, he wanted to be shot and killed . . .

Quoting LilJenn82:

He was 15 years old and shot a 17 year old (who always bullied him)... He was charged 2day as an adult... Charged with attempted 1st degree murder and assault...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN