Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (201-210):
Deryni28
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The kid could have gotten the gun from anywhere. He could have found a way to buy it, he could have stolen it. It's not always a family gun.  Sueing the family is not really a way to solve anything.

Quoting mmtosam06:

I need a trenta iced coffee please. I think this is a sad situation all around. I put my daughter in a charter school (private school without tuition). I would be devastated if something like that happened in her school:(. I wanty to knwo why the parents left the gun out in easy reach of the child? Why wasn't the gun locked up? If i were the parent of the child that got shot I would be suing (no joke) the kid who was the shooter's family. That is pure plain negligent on their part for being reckless and not putting up that gun.

BeachMommy07
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Quoting Janet:

This world is a total mess!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Yes, it is a sign of the times.

Quoting BeachMommy07:

Quoting Janet:

This world is a total mess!

Hottmomma607
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Kids are safe,ww aren't safe anywhere at anytime! We just have to hope that whatever nut with a gun don't start shooting where your at?! :-( *SMH*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vetNmommy
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM

A hot cup of tea, with a lot of sugar please. lol

On a more serious note.  I have to wonder if this student was doing this to get "attention".  We see it on the news all the time.  Shootings get mass coverage.  Maybe he wanted his 15 minutes of "fame".  Thank goodness the faculty handled this situation very well.  

Hottmomma607
by Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I need a mocha cookie crumble,please!! Thank you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ivy801
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Sad and terrifying, there's always more to the story unless the shooter is a total psychopath which is possible sometimes. I think parents need to address when their kids are in need or hurting, just cause your from a well of family doesn't mean everything is perfect. On same note even parents who talk to their kids see the whole picture is just sad so many kids are becoming desperate and see shooting as a way out or as a way to gain fame or attention, what is wrong with people now a days in general? 

anita111
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
I also want to know why these children are able to get to these guns!! Why are the parents not responsible enough to keep the guns locked up? Or like my parents, teach me to know better than to take a gun to school or any other place- without permission? I think "irresponsible" parents & gun owners need to held responsible for what their children do!! Metal detectors are a wonderful thing if it saves 1 life!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyKir
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I personally think all schools should have metal detectors, and random k-9 searches( our school would bring a dog in to sniff the school, even though our school had no violence) it was random and because it was random no one dared to bring anything bad in. I wouldnt be thrilled of my little ones having to walk through a metal detector everyday, but at the same time I would realise it was keeping them safe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)