Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM

It's interesting because so far not one (official) word has been said about the shooter's or the victim's parents. It will also be interesting what happens next in regards to security and precautions at this school.

Here is your coffee, cream and splenda. Have a good day!

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

Coffee with two cream one splenda please. 

And I hadnt heard  about this. Where are the parents when the kids are getting guns?! There are metal detectors and at least at my old high school there were police every morning in the cafeteria. There had never been an issue before, just precautions i think, but I feel like my kids will be safe at school. 

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate it! It's interesting because this particular school is actually rated one of the best in the state.

Here is a coffee for you. I hope you enjoy it!

Quoting illinoismommy83:

No one wants to send their kids to school in a "bad" district that needs metal detectors, even if it makes it safer. No one wants all kids to have mandatory monthly counceling to make sure everyone is happy as that would totally drain the school's budget. No district is going to instantly expel everyone who makes a comment that even vaguely resembles bullying. There is no fix for this.

The best campaign I can come up with is "If you feel the need to shoot someone, shoot yourself first" but that of course makes me come off as cold. 

We are going to end up either having everyone homeschooled or having every school treat the children like criminals and pat them down, inspect their bags, and send them through metal detectors.

I totally can picture a future where parents form groups of 5 families, and they take turns homeschool teaching all of the children from each family on one day per week so they can work the other days to support their families. With programs like K-12, a church could simply set up a computer lab for the children to use and have parent volunteers come in each day to keep the kids on track. But then, the groups would get smaller and smaller as parents became leary of each other and always worried who was going to snap and shoot everyone.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I do not believe anyone is guaranteed safety anywhere at anytime. However, as a mother with 2 little ones just starting school, I agree with you and this is exactly what helps me feel a little bit better.

Here's some coffee for you and a friend. :)

Quoting cupomeow:

This is horrible.  Our schools have lockdown so nobody can get into the building without checking at the door wth a buzzer and camera. It does not make me feel safe but it makes me feel safer than I would without it.

ladysharon72
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't hear about this. Don't think the kids are safe anywhere. U just have 2 pray for their protection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitcreek
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
i really dont know what to think! i just wonder what the world is coming to! i remember when luke woodham shot the kids at pearl high in Mississippi and its just gotten worse! i dont think we aresafe anywhere!!
Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM

You make interesting points and ask good questions. It was really only about 2 hours before school started when he posted that. He only has 12 friends on his page. Being it was the first day of school I think there is a good chance that no one saw his status.

Personally, I've wondered about his status. I wonder if he didn't even mean he was intending to kill himself. Maybe he DID, but maybe he wanted to live and knew life as he knew it would be over because of what his intentions were. Words can be a mystery in my opinion.

The rest is pure speculation at this point so I won't bother to inject my "opinions" there. I have enjoyed your reply.

Here is your cappucino. :)

Quoting sissyboogs:

French Vanilla Cappucino please. 

First, I think we need to stop making these shootings so highly publicized. Clearly, this kid wasn't out to end his own life as he suggested in his facebook post. If that were the case, he could have done so quietly in his own home. Instead, he took a gun to school and shot someone else. That tells me he wanted the "fame" that comes from such an act, and that's what he's getting. 

The status was posted hours before school started--someone had to have seen it. Nobody said anything? Nobody questioned it? 

Did this child have signs of any kind of psychological disturbances prior to this? Was there a history of depression? I'm sure we don't know these details, but I just have to wonder about any child (or really, any person that does something like this without any real provocation) what causes them to decide to take a gun and shoot someone. I mean, if it was the middle of the year, and there was evidence they had been bullied to the point of feeling tortured, I could almost understand their desperation...but this, I just don't understand. 

As far as my own children, they are 2 and 4. My 4 year old is starting preschool this year, and I am not concerned about him and his school. We are hoping to be moved by the time he starts public school next year because we do not like the school district we are currently living in. Really though, this can happen anywhere, and no school is safe. How long ago was it that the amish school was shot up in PA? Movie theaters, malls, it's everywhere. 

Isabelles_mommy
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I don't think anyone is safe anywhere. There are crazy people all over the world. 

My daughter is currently homeschooled, so yes I feel she is safe in my livingroom.

And the best way to prevent this, well if teachers were more aware of their students, and parents were speaking more with their kids, they would see a change happen. I am very open with my daughter and she is with us. We let her know she can come to us for anything, even if it's bad. She knows she will be punished but the punishment will be less then if she hid it from us. We are her parents and God put us in this position to help her along the way, till she is old enough to make her own decisions. 

As for protection against other people, Well it's sad that in this day and age we have to have metal detectors in school and police patrolling the school grounds. It almost makes me feel like highschool is a prison. I think parents should step up and be parents to children, from day one. Teach them about respect of others and they won't want to kill another person. 

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Thank you for your response. Here is a drink for you!

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Can we stop focus on the statistically insignificant events? This is very sad, but this is not something that occurs very often. It only seems like that because the news focuses on negativity.

knittymom4
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

A vanilla latte please.

I don't think any school is safe. My daughter is starting her freshmen year tomorrow and it scares me to death. We do have security in our school and we live in a virtually crime free area, but you never know. I don't think the kids and parents in Baltimore were expecting this either.

My question is: Is he on any medication? Sometimes the meds that kids are put on can make them psychotic.  

MonicaV1982
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

If you follow the actual evidence and statistics schools are actually quite safe. Paranoia at its worst.

Quoting knittymom4:

A vanilla latte please.

I don't think any school is safe. My daughter is starting her freshmen year tomorrow and it scares me to death. We do have security in our school and we live in a virtually crime free area, but you never know. I don't think the kids and parents in Baltimore were expecting this either.

My question is: Is he on any medication? Sometimes the meds that kids are put on can make them psychotic.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)