Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (211-220):
OJP
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM
School shootings are not new, just more widely covered. I had a relative shot their freshman year of H.S. in 1966 with a rifle at school along with the death of a teacher. (My relative wasn't expected to live but, fortunately did) The shooter was lying in wait outside the school when the buses arrived.
It had nothing to do with a bad area, just a sick mind. Now there are many copycats.
MommyJo_2
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I'm not saying there isn't some parenting issues here...... But come on ladies, you mean to tell me that you never got away with anything as a teenager? My parents were spot on, but there are still things to this day that I did and they don't know.. Why does everyone say the parents had the gun and should have been safer? If the kids can get drugs they can get guns..... I think that the parents should have been more in time to what was occurring in their Childs behavior, but sometimes you just don't know. Kids are becoming better and better Liars and actors. I think the schools..... Ok MOST schools are doing the best that they can to keep our babies safe. We need to be more open to listening to what are kids have to say, whether it be words or body language or behavior. Kids say a lot without ever opening their mouth. Monitor and regulate their online/ social networking privileges. God entrusted us with his children, it's about time we start doing our job as parents. No body is perfect and i'm sure there are things we could all do better, I know there are somethings I can change and work on. I hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers...... My prayers and love go out to Daniel and his family, also to the poor child that chose to use the gun and his family. That boy and his family need love and prayers more than ever at this time. I can't imagine what his parents are going threw. You know the are beating themselves island feel like the worst parents in the world. DEAR GOD PLEASE KEEP THEM NEAR AND SAFE. FOR WE ARE ALL YOUR CHILDREN, AND WE NEED YOUR LOVE!

Oh..... Peppermint hot chocolate with extra whip;-) please!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MTASCP
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM
This is very scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lruesch
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I agree with you, you can buy a gun just about on any street corner I live 1 hour north of the city of Chicago and i know in the city you can probably get a gun just about anywhere as long as you ask the right person!!!! It is soo sad these days. And I know back when we were in school the kids that were bullied just had fights with their fists and it was over and they were like the best of friends the next day!!! My sons school has a bully hotline that the kids can call or they can go online and type in who is bullying them and remain annyonmous(sp) they can remain that was via the hotline too!! so I really like his school district!!!! 

Redwall
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM

My husband is a high school teacher and there are regulations for what happens if someone enters the building with a gun.  Do I think it's good enough? NO!  I think teachers should get concealed carry licenses and be allowed to have a gun handy.

momofkearra
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM

School shootings didn't used to exist when I was growing up. Shortly after Columbine a few kids that I went to school with were arrested for their plot to blow up and shoot people at the school that I had just moved away from. I feel that the press coverage of the Columbine incident directly correlated with children's ability to think up such a sinister plot. I also feel that continuing to teach our children to let emotional abuse slide and "just ignore it" isn't handling the problem. By teaching our children to walk away all of the time we're telling them to simply ignore or cast aside the feelings that are bottling up inside of them. They feel neglected, hurt, angered, unloved, lost, alone, etc. I used to be one of these children, however I was strong enough to realize that what others say doesn't matter, many children simply can't bear those emotions inside any longer. This causes them to lash out against the people who provoked them, the school system for not doing anything to protect them, and sometimes their parents. Innocent people get hurt in the scuffle. What we should do is teach them that, if they have taken all of the proper steps that it is okay to punch someone in the face. The proper steps consist of: telling the person to stop, taking it to the teacher or administration, warning the bully, and then if all of those fail... PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE. Fights and bullying used to be handled on the playground with our fists. I understand that fighting should be a last resort, but it certaintly should be an option before firing a rifle at someone!

eppy86
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM
I live about two, two and a half hours from where this happened and didn't hear about it. Baltimore and many of its burbs are dangerous just to be in. I won't even go there to see my fav football team. The fact that this happened doesn't surprise me at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katkirkpatrick
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM
MY THOUGHTS ON SCHOOL SHOOTINGS IS: WHAT MAKES THESE CHILDREN THINK THAT THEY ARE ALONE AND CANT TURN TO ANYONE BEFORE THEY DECIDE TO ACT SO VOLENTLY CUZ THERE ISN'T ANY WIN WIN SITUATION WHEN IT COMES TO THESE TYPES OF THINGS. ITS JUST SO SAD. MY SON IS 6 YEARS OLD AND TODAY HE TOLD ME THAT SOME BIG KID (AROUND 12 YEARS OLD)CALLED HIM A BITCH. IT BROKE MY HEART TO HEAR HIM TELL ME THAT AND THEN I GOT REALLY PISSED OFF CUZ THE TEACHER HE WAS TRYING TO TELL THEY TOLD HIM THEY DIDNT WANT TO HEAR IT AND THAT PISSED ME OFF EVEN MORE.
Sweet_Carol_126
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM

The best preventative would be to have metal detectors at the school doors.  And kids would have to pass through those detectors to get into school.  These are kids not outsiders coming into the schools.  Another thing would be a no bullying policy as many of the kids who end up shooting in schools and intending to take their lives have been bullied and the administration doesn't do anything about it.  When my daughter reported that someone was bullying her years ago, the assistant principal who knew her (she had babysat his kids) brought the other girl in and told her she would be expelled if it happened again.  end of that.  My advice was to hit the girl back and hit her hard and I'd support my daughter no matter what they chose to do with her and I'd argue for her as this other girl was constantly poking her, pulling her hair, etc. and elbowing her as well as saying things to her that were unpleasant.  She chose not to do as I would have done and she went to the assistant principal and it stopped immediately.  Some teachers and administrators don't try to stop bullying.

greenmachine47
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Just got done with my cappucino..I don't know what is wrong with kids these days. School should be the safest place to send your kids to but these days it's not. Parents need to lock their guns up or just not have any . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN