Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (31-40):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Very true....emotional hurts run deep...

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Along with the physical wound there is a whole lot of emotional healing that will need to happen in a lot of people.

Here is your hot cocoa. I hope you enjoy it!

Quoting delanna6two:

Hot Cocoa please...

So very sorry to hear this....I think any of these type situations are very sad....hope those hurt will be ok....

isaiahsmomma86
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I always wonder about that, my parents never had guns when i was growing up, and we dont have any in my home now. But me inlaws do and sil and her boys live there, one is 12, one is 4. I know they could never access them. The one gun is in a lock box, the other is high on a shelf in mil and fil's room, and the bullets are locked up also. they're (fil and my husband are the ONLY ones to use them) VERY careful not to leave bullets in them. FIL is very nervous as far as kids and safety, heck, he wont even let them have balloons. lol 

Also, i'm from a rather small area, much much smaller than baltimore, its a shame there arent metal detectors and such in these larger areas. if podunk wv can find the funding for the big walk through metal detectors, surely places like that could find funding for at least some of the wand ones. 

Quoting Cafe Beth:

It's interesting because so far not one (official) word has been said about the shooter's or the victim's parents. It will also be interesting what happens next in regards to security and precautions at this school.

Here is your coffee, cream and splenda. Have a good day!

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

Coffee with two cream one splenda please. 

And I hadnt heard  about this. Where are the parents when the kids are getting guns?! There are metal detectors and at least at my old high school there were police every morning in the cafeteria. There had never been an issue before, just precautions i think, but I feel like my kids will be safe at school. 

CafeMom Tickers
all2gethernow
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM
2 moms liked this

This was my home town school. Many of my nephews, nieces, and friends children were under the tables in the caefteria when this happened. This is a GREAT school, and in a GREAT area. I am in shock. I watch it play out live on facebook as it happened yesterday-family could not get to their kids, other schools were affected, and kids were literally txting while it was happening. It was horrible.

I have always homeschooled-13 years now. My oldest 2, had we not moved to another state, would have been sent to that school. I got a TON of messages yesterday stating how "safe" my kids were nbecause they are homeschooled. "WE" are not any safer then anyone else. Homeschooling does NOT protect us from the evils of the world-if anything, we have more time to see it, discuss it and ponder it. This crazy kid could have done this at the mall, at my daughter's place of work, at a movie theater, in my home, or at a football game. "School" was not even a factor here. Last year we had a horrible incident at a little league game-absolutely earth shaking to me-and I realized this, completely.
Hug those that you love, and know that this is NOT a "school" issue. It is a HUMANITY issue. It can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone.
~peace

catchup29
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Can we stop focus on the statistically insignificant events? This is very sad, but this is not something that occurs very often. It only seems like that because the news focuses on negativity.

This school is the school my children graduated from.  It is in my neighborhood...and I actually said the same thing.  Kids are crying they don't want to go back to school, parents don't want to send them.  I know, 100% I would tell my kids this could happen to you just walking down the street or standing in line at McDonalds...go to school!

My children were two of only a handful of kids that went to school the day after September 11th's attacks..Can't stop living.

As far as signs, my children, knowing the shooter, said there was no way the parents couldn't have known unlelss they are completely blind, deaf and dumb.  Which obviously there were.

MamatoKy
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

my cousin goes to this school, and a lot of the information out there is a load of crap! I've heard of people saying that the boy shot is now dead (which he isnt) I've heard that he was out to shoot like 30 people, which wasnt true. Nothing official has been said about what was said on any social network (or atl east the last I heard it hasnt been said (i've been at work, and had a sick kid so I have not watched the news recently will check up tho in a few mins)

CafeMom Tickers
justahousewife
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM

In a situation like this you better put a shot of "feel good" in my coffee. 

Just wow. First day of school? I can't imagine how horrible the boy must have been feeling to go to school the very first day with this on his mind. It really makes me wonder what was going on at home all summer, did his parents not see any sign of his anguish leading up to the first day of school? 

I can half understand some of these mid-late school year shootings after countless days of being harassed by bullies but the first day of school isn't one I would have felt wary about. 

I don't know how anyone could prevent something like this from happening. How could you? Unless you were the parent who ignored it. I don't know.

My 10yo hasn't even stepped foot in school yet (starts the 4th of Sept) and there is already news like this). Doesn't sit well.

melindabelcher
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

I think its incredibly sad that at a young age children are resorting to violence to solve their problems. Having guns in a place where they can be accessed by children is a HUGE problem.

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

While the shootings are tragic and a cry for help, I don't think it makes schools overall unsafe. 1% of deaths in the schoolage child is from school violence. While vehichle related deaths are #1 cause of death.

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

Unfortunately alot of the fault falls on the parent for missing warning signs that something isn't working out with school. Often times its the parents gun that the child has access to that is used in these crimes.

I'll have a Large Iced Tea with Lemon  :)

jbirdsladie27
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

All the school shootings are sad, sad for the victims, ALL the families involved, the community, the world, the human race.
I do feel my son is safe in school
Looks like its time to start using metal detectors in school.. so damn sad

.Diddles.
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM

This is so terrible and sad. What a way to start the school year off :(

I don't feel our kids are safe anymore and that is wrong on so many levels. Schools need better security even if they feel it won't happen in their small town or whatever the case may be. Lock side doors, install cameras everywhere, metal detectors, police on campus at all times, and provide a way for students to vent without the fear of getting in trouble. 

I would like a nice cold mocha frappucino and a chocolate glazed donut, please :) Calorie free of course, lol!

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I agree that it is sad when a student (or any person) feels that taking out their emotions through violence is the only way to deal. I find it even more sad that a person would be in that situation in the first place. It makes my heart break.

I hope you'll enjoy your white chocolate latte!

Quoting RockinPiscesMom:

White chocolate latte please.

It's very sad when a student any age feels that taking out their emotions through violence is the only way to deal. Kids shooting other kids is insane to me!

My son isn't in school yet, but I do think it will be a little nerve racking for me when he does start because geez the age that kids are able to get their hands on guns and other weapons is getting younger and younger!

Besides the obvious ways to prevent events like this, there isn't much else schools can do without making the students feel imprisoned. These kids just don't have the coping strategies to handle their emotions in a non-violent way...it starts with the parents not the schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)