Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (41-50):
Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I agree with you 100% regarding the part in red. Anyone can hurt and anyone can feel that "no one cares". Not that I'm implying he felt that way. It's not for me to do that.

Here's your caramel iced coffee. Enjoy!

Quoting MomOf2LilGirls:

I'll take a caramel iced coffee :]

I hadn't heard about this.  But I agree w/ some of the other ladies.  I "feel" safe atm w/ my kids in Elementary school but as I think about them moving onto Middle school and High school it frightens me.  I don't care if you think you live in a safe area or not kids who are neglected or feeling as they are missing something can snap.  It's not just the kids from the low poverty area's that snap and start shooting every one.  It's sad, it really is but this is the day and age that we live in.  There isn't much we can do to prevent it besides all start home schooling and I unfortunately have to work to feed my family. <------  And this scares me the most because I know I can't prevent crazy stuff from happening.  If something did happen to one of my kids at school I think I would feel a little bit to blame because I couldn't prevent it :(

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Thank you for sharing with us.

Here's your coffee. I hope that's enough sugar. :)

Quoting kimscorner:

Coffee, no cream, lots of sugar :)

Our school district has a "lockdown system" too, no one can access the entire building, you can only access the office, and even that door is locked.  There is only a window you speak through.

But the worry isn't a random person coming into the building shooting, it's the student that has severe mental issues that is the worry.  As a pp stated, no school is safe.  Any public place isn't anymore.  Grocery stores, malls, you name it.  Very sad.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I think you have very good points. :)

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

I don't think anyone is safe anywhere. There are crazy people all over the world. 

My daughter is currently homeschooled, so yes I feel she is safe in my livingroom.

And the best way to prevent this, well if teachers were more aware of their students, and parents were speaking more with their kids, they would see a change happen. I am very open with my daughter and she is with us. We let her know she can come to us for anything, even if it's bad. She knows she will be punished but the punishment will be less then if she hid it from us. We are her parents and God put us in this position to help her along the way, till she is old enough to make her own decisions. 

As for protection against other people, Well it's sad that in this day and age we have to have metal detectors in school and police patrolling the school grounds. It almost makes me feel like highschool is a prison. I think parents should step up and be parents to children, from day one. Teach them about respect of others and they won't want to kill another person. 

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I'm glad you shared with us. Although I can't answer your question (which I'm sure  you now!) Enjoy your vanilla latte.

Quoting knittymom4:

A vanilla latte please.

I don't think any school is safe. My daughter is starting her freshmen year tomorrow and it scares me to death. We do have security in our school and we live in a virtually crime free area, but you never know. I don't think the kids and parents in Baltimore were expecting this either.

My question is: Is he on any medication? Sometimes the meds that kids are put on can make them psychotic.  

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That is insane. :( I worry every day whether my son is safe in school or not.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

I always wonder about that, my parents never had guns when i was growing up, and we dont have any in my home now. But me inlaws do and sil and her boys live there, one is 12, one is 4. I know they could never access them. The one gun is in a lock box, the other is high on a shelf in mil and fil's room, and the bullets are locked up also. they're (fil and my husband are the ONLY ones to use them) VERY careful not to leave bullets in them. FIL is very nervous as far as kids and safety, heck, he wont even let them have balloons. lol 

Also, i'm from a rather small area, much much smaller than baltimore, its a shame there arent metal detectors and such in these larger areas. if podunk wv can find the funding for the big walk through metal detectors, surely places like that could find funding for at least some of the wand ones. I don't think it's about funding. A lot of people don't want to feel like they are in a "prison". Parents don't want their kids to feel like they can't be kids. I can't speak for the school of course. At the same time it's not a situation they expected to be in.

gemini2678
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I live in Baltimore County.  This is a good school in a good area.  While I do worry about sending my kids to school when they are old enough, i honestly would be more worried about drugs and sex than about a shooting.  When you take into account the actual number of shootings that have happened over the years and the sheer numbers of actual schools that children attend, plus the actual number of students in each school, statistically the chances of my child being shot are miniscule.  That doesn't mean I don't fear it, but that I don't let that fear control me.  Unfortunately, we can not protect our children every second of every day - how would they ever learn to take care of themselves? 
I have heard some rumors that this was a personal grudge of one student against another.  I have no idea as to the validity of these rumors.
As for his facebook status, that status is so very vague - there is no way to know from his status that he meant to go into school and start shooting.  teenagers are melodramatic - he could have just been venting that his fun summer is over, school has started, so now his life is over.  melodrama - oh how i love teenagers :)

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I am glad all your relatives are safe. That is wonderful news!

Quoting all2gethernow:

This was my home town school. Many of my nephews, nieces, and friends children were under the tables in the caefteria when this happened. This is a GREAT school, and in a GREAT area. I am in shock. I watch it play out live on facebook as it happened yesterday-family could not get to their kids, other schools were affected, and kids were literally txting while it was happening. It was horrible.

I have always homeschooled-13 years now. My oldest 2, had we not moved to another state, would have been sent to that school. I got a TON of messages yesterday stating how "safe" my kids were nbecause they are homeschooled. "WE" are not any safer then anyone else. Homeschooling does NOT protect us from the evils of the world-if anything, we have more time to see it, discuss it and ponder it. This crazy kid could have done this at the mall, at my daughter's place of work, at a movie theater, in my home, or at a football game. "School" was not even a factor here. Last year we had a horrible incident at a little league game-absolutely earth shaking to me-and I realized this, completely.
Hug those that you love, and know that this is NOT a "school" issue. It is a HUMANITY issue. It can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone.
~peace

all2gethernow
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

also, the young man that was shot in this ordeal, was a child with Downs Syndrome....Please pray for Daniel:)

Never thought this could happen at Perry Hall High School:(

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. People like to talk as though they know. I prefer facts. I saw where someone said that he died too but I knew it wasn't true. Although what he posted online WAS said through multiple news outlets what is in my post is a copy straight from his page.

Quoting MamatoKy:

my cousin goes to this school, and a lot of the information out there is a load of crap! I've heard of people saying that the boy shot is now dead (which he isnt) I've heard that he was out to shoot like 30 people, which wasnt true. Nothing official has been said about what was said on any social network (or atl east the last I heard it hasnt been said (i've been at work, and had a sick kid so I have not watched the news recently will check up tho in a few mins)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)