Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (71-80):
Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Enjoy your tea and thank you for sharing with us. :)

Quoting th43:

Raspberry Iced Tea, please.

By the time a kid is in high school, it isn't uncommon for them to be on a multi-building campus.  So while the lockdown idea sounds good, it won't work in a lot of situations.

Quoting cupomeow:

This is horrible.  Our schools have lockdown so nobody can get into the building without checking at the door wth a buzzer and camera. It does not make me feel safe but it makes me feel safer than I would without it.

Nor will metal detectors work in these instances...students could be shot between buildings while a shooter is outside.  Metal detectors will work if the shooter enters the building, but will not protect students not in buildings (Virginia Tech).

I have to agree with those saying that the gun should have been locked up and the kid should not have had access to it.

.Diddles.
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, yum! Thanks :)

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Thanks for sharing with us!

This is as calorie-free as it gets. LOL!

Quoting .Diddles.:

This is so terrible and sad. What a way to start the school year off :(

I don't feel our kids are safe anymore and that is wrong on so many levels. Schools need better security even if they feel it won't happen in their small town or whatever the case may be. Lock side doors, install cameras everywhere, metal detectors, police on campus at all times, and provide a way for students to vent without the fear of getting in trouble. 

I would like a nice cold mocha frappucino and a chocolate glazed donut, please :) Calorie free of course, lol!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dffrntthanlast
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Sounds normal for baltimore sadly

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I was thinking the other day about when I was a kid. We did drills for tornadoes not shootings. Seems so crazy how things change. I agree about the anti-bullying. If adults would step in and help I don't think this would be much of an issue in the first place.

Quoting momma4vr:

please.... and i hate hearing this stuff... my old hs the police ran drills once a month with swat on the weekend. i actually got to watch it once so i felt safe. i also think schools need to be more anti bully and punish kids who are bullies more.

shauna.robinson
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM
Vented 5 shot caramel machiato please!

That is horribly sad. Why did he do that? Kids are bullied and deal with so much these days. I dont want to send my kids to public school. I know it can still happen but I want to pit my kids in Christian school, hoping we can afford it by then, otherwise its probably homeschooling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Enjoy!

Quoting Lettybug:

carmel frapp please

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Enjoy!

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I live near here : (

So very sad....truly.

Pumpkin spice latte please

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Quoting MamatoKy:

I totally have not looked at it yet =( darn work.

A guy I work with, his cousin is posting all sorts of crazy things, luckily, i can comment on it, even tho I am not her friend, and I informed her that he is in fact still alive, and that she needs to stop posting rumors. lol Good for you! Once rumors start they spread fast and do you know how much worse that can make the victim's family feel? I don't do well with rumors. ;)

Its sad, as soon as I heard it come across my radio, i was like oh my my cousin goes there, so I started texting him and the only thing he wrote was "i'm ok, tell mom, they are taking our phones now"

and that was it until like 2 or 3 pm. That had to be freaky, I imagine. Yet so relieving knowing your cousin was ok. I'm glad he is!

jessi2girls
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM

the best way to prevent these shootings is better parenting to prevent students from WANTING and being ABLE to do such things!

Starts at home!!

And honestly, no I don't think school is the safest place for kids.. I've read a lot of posts on cafemom, and even here you can tell that some of these kids are not getting what they need at home to thrive and be well developed kids!!

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That definitely could be. That theory makes me sad too. It hurts to know a child hurt so bad that they would be willing to go to such "great lengths".

I hope you like your vanilla bean frappe!

Quoting Simply_Janeen:

He probably meant suicide by police since that tends to be the end results of these kinds of situations.

I was a senior when Columbine happened. My mom FREAKED. It didn't help that my younger sister was getting sexually explicit messages in her locker in middle school. Both she and my nephew spent the rest of the year out of school. I think my mom wanted me out the rest of the year as well but since I was a senior, she let me go but she was pretty nervous the rest of the year. There were rumors of a shooting that might happen during an outside event for Memorial Day. My mom didn't want me outside for it. Ugly times.

Not many places people are safe though anymore. There are even shootings in church by church members. Anyone, at anytime can just suddenly go off the deep end and all you can hope is that you're not at the wrong place at the wrong time. We're currently homeschooling our oldest (online charter school program) but at some point, she may be in school.

I'd like a Vanilla Bean Frappecino--YUM!

Quoting Cafe Beth:

You make interesting points and ask good questions. It was really only about 2 hours before school started when he posted that. He only has 12 friends on his page. Being it was the first day of school I think there is a good chance that no one saw his status.

Personally, I've wondered about his status. I wonder if he didn't even mean he was intending to kill himself. Maybe he DID, but maybe he wanted to live and knew life as he knew it would be over because of what his intentions were. Words can be a mystery in my opinion.

The rest is pure speculation at this point so I won't bother to inject my "opinions" there. I have enjoyed your reply.

Here is your cappucino. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)