Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (81-90):
Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thank you for sharing. And for giving your source. :)

Quoting AshleyA03:

The student rumored to have been shot, and confirmed by students on Twitter, was a 17 yr old boy with Down Syndrome named Daniel. Yesterday he went through 6 hours of open chest surgery for lung, he has severely damaged lungs. Daniel made it through surgery and is listed in critical condition. PRAY FOR DANIEL! No one deserves this,especially a gentle innocent soul who does not know how to be cruel but has to face it daily.It's so sad... so very sad, and unnecessary! http://twitchy.com/2012/08/27/victim-of-baltimore-county-shooting-identified-by-fellow-students/

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually it was completely abnormal for that area of Baltimore and pretty much not expected in the least bit. This school is one of the best in Maryland. Have you ever been to Baltimore? :)

Quoting Dffrntthanlast:

Sounds normal for baltimore sadly

MamatoKy
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
fairchildmama
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:56 PM

thats horrible... personally I am to scared to even take my kids to day care incase a parent or some crazy person goes nuts and takes their anger or what ever out there. I never used to worry about things like that happening until I became a parent. I feel like every where we go there could be some sort of threat, its awful. I dont understand how a human can just kill another human much less a child commiting murder. only way I would ever take someones life is if it came to my family and their safety. at the moment anything with a double shot of espresso...

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

There have been several "speculations" however there has not been an "official statement" about why he did it. Bullying is suspected but not confirmed by Officials.

Here's your caramel macchiato. Enjoy!

Quoting shauna.robinson:

Vented 5 shot caramel machiato please!

That is horribly sad. Why did he do that? Kids are bullied and deal with so much these days. I dont want to send my kids to public school. I know it can still happen but I want to pit my kids in Christian school, hoping we can afford it by then, otherwise its probably homeschooling.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

shauna.robinson, for a more updated response you can read this article:

Quoting MamatoKy:

http://perryhall.patch.com/articles/police-bullying-not-a-factor-in-perry-hall-high-shooting

Here is recent article about the shooting.

Quoting Cafe Beth:

There have been several "speculations" however there has not been an "official statement" about why he did it. Bullying is suspected but not confirmed by Officials.

Here's your caramel macchiato. Enjoy!

Quoting shauna.robinson:

Vented 5 shot caramel machiato please!

That is horribly sad. Why did he do that? Kids are bullied and deal with so much these days. I dont want to send my kids to public school. I know it can still happen but I want to pit my kids in Christian school, hoping we can afford it by then, otherwise its probably homeschooling.

goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Sad, we don't have cable so I had no idea.

Cafe Beth
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I understand as far as your statement "I never used to worry about things like that happening until I became a parent". Since becoming a parent I am overwhelmed with emotions and tears and then more emotions. But for me it's only when they aren't with me. I guess because I know I can't protect them or even have the chance to protect them if something were to happen. Also, for me, it's everything that bothers me. Like them getting lost or hurt. LOL! I'm really trying to relax on this because I know there isn't much else I can do.

How is this? :)

Quoting fairchildmama:

thats horrible... personally I am to scared to even take my kids to day care incase a parent or some crazy person goes nuts and takes their anger or what ever out there. I never used to worry about things like that happening until I became a parent. I feel like every where we go there could be some sort of threat, its awful. I dont understand how a human can just kill another human much less a child commiting murder. only way I would ever take someones life is if it came to my family and their safety. at the moment anything with a double shot of espresso...

CJsMommy2011
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Chai Tea Please!

No I don't think any child  is completely safe in school.

My question is...Where the heck are the parents!!??????

Why can we not monitor our children's facebook pages and cell phones more instead of letting something like this go unquestioned!?

And where on earth did this child get the gun!? Why do we not teach our children more about things like this and how to express their feelings in a NON VIOLENT way?

This makes me sad that we can't send our children anywhere anymore...schools, malls, the movies....

what is this world coming to?

jocelynred
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM

thanks for pointing this out. i live very close to this area. it is a typical middle class neighborhood with some of the more affluent families in the county. and as you pointed out it is one of the top rated/largest schools in the state. this goes to prove that bad things can happen anywhere. parents need to teach their children that life matters. and that there are ways to handle any situation that do not include violence. on the news last night they showed a pic of the shooter's home. out front was a sign that read "We don't call 911" with a picture of a gun. what kind of message/lesson is that for raising kids!? "guns don't shoot people, people shoot people" is what some people say. but people who don't have access to guns can't shoot people. 

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate it! It's interesting because this particular school is actually rated one of the best in the state.

Here is a coffee for you. I hope you enjoy it!

Quoting illinoismommy83:

No one wants to send their kids to school in a "bad" district that needs metal detectors, even if it makes it safer. No one wants all kids to have mandatory monthly counceling to make sure everyone is happy as that would totally drain the school's budget. No district is going to instantly expel everyone who makes a comment that even vaguely resembles bullying. There is no fix for this.

The best campaign I can come up with is "If you feel the need to shoot someone, shoot yourself first" but that of course makes me come off as cold. 

We are going to end up either having everyone homeschooled or having every school treat the children like criminals and pat them down, inspect their bags, and send them through metal detectors.

I totally can picture a future where parents form groups of 5 families, and they take turns homeschool teaching all of the children from each family on one day per week so they can work the other days to support their families. With programs like K-12, a church could simply set up a computer lab for the children to use and have parent volunteers come in each day to keep the kids on track. But then, the groups would get smaller and smaller as parents became leary of each other and always worried who was going to snap and shoot everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN