Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Shooting First Day of School

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

As you may know there was a shooting in a Baltimore County school yesterday. As always there are different stories floating around out there.

Here are the main facts:

1. A student posted on his Facebook page just hours before school started "First day of school,
last day of my life. t(~_~t), f*** the world
".

2. That same student took a "big gun" into the school which was said to have been in parts
and put together just before the shooting.

3. One student was shot in the back (currently NOT considered a target).

4. A Guidance Counselor restrains him, other teachers help until an on-school Police Officer arrives.

5. The shooter is in custody and is cooperating with law enforcement.
The victim is in critical condition.

6. School is in session today with enhanced security.

Live streaming was on CBS Baltimore yesterday
Most current information: 8/28/12 11:55 am - here

1. What are your thoughts on this and all school shootings?

2. Do you feel your child(ren) are safe in school?

3. What do you feel is the best way to prevent these kinds of situations?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure
to let us know what you would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (91-100):
MamatoKy
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM
fairchildmama
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Oh I know right? Like when my kids are with their mamaw Im thinking oh no what if one gets hurt what if one gets seperated how can she handle all 3. Its hard to relax on it thought, I have major anxiety. I remember 2 occasions when we were at walmart and my df and grandma had back tracked to get something and left the cart just sitting there with the 2 youngest and I was like "AAAAHHH" dont you know that kids get takin like that every day stay in arms reach!" lol 

Quoting Cafe Beth:

I understand as far as your statement "I never used to worry about things like that happening until I became a parent". Since becoming a parent I am overwhelmed with emotions and tears and then more emotions. But for me it's only when they aren't with me. I guess because I know I can't protect them or even have the chance to protect them if something were to happen. Also, for me, it's everything that bothers me. Like them getting lost or hurt. LOL! I'm really trying to relax on this because I know there isn't much else I can do.

How is this? :)

Quoting fairchildmama:

thats horrible... personally I am to scared to even take my kids to day care incase a parent or some crazy person goes nuts and takes their anger or what ever out there. I never used to worry about things like that happening until I became a parent. I feel like every where we go there could be some sort of threat, its awful. I dont understand how a human can just kill another human much less a child commiting murder. only way I would ever take someones life is if it came to my family and their safety. at the moment anything with a double shot of espresso...

fairchildmama
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM

btw youra doll lol i love my starbucks!

Quoting Cafe Beth:

I understand as far as your statement "I never used to worry about things like that happening until I became a parent". Since becoming a parent I am overwhelmed with emotions and tears and then more emotions. But for me it's only when they aren't with me. I guess because I know I can't protect them or even have the chance to protect them if something were to happen. Also, for me, it's everything that bothers me. Like them getting lost or hurt. LOL! I'm really trying to relax on this because I know there isn't much else I can do.

How is this? :)

Quoting fairchildmama:

thats horrible... personally I am to scared to even take my kids to day care incase a parent or some crazy person goes nuts and takes their anger or what ever out there. I never used to worry about things like that happening until I became a parent. I feel like every where we go there could be some sort of threat, its awful. I dont understand how a human can just kill another human much less a child commiting murder. only way I would ever take someones life is if it came to my family and their safety. at the moment anything with a double shot of espresso...

shauna.robinson
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Mm thank you just what I needed.

They really do need to start doing something about bullying. The really sad thing is they have to get it from somewhere, i.e. parents. A lot of people these days are just mean and judgmental and the kids are growing up around that and do the same thing.

Quoting Cafe Beth:

There have been several "speculations" however there has not been an "official statement" about why he did it. Bullying is suspected but not confirmed by Officials.

Here's your caramel macchiato. Enjoy!

Quoting shauna.robinson:

Vented 5 shot caramel machiato please!

That is horribly sad. Why did he do that? Kids are bullied and deal with so much these days. I dont want to send my kids to public school. I know it can still happen but I want to pit my kids in Christian school, hoping we can afford it by then, otherwise its probably homeschooling.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dffrntthanlast
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Yes

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Actually it was completely abnormal for that area of Baltimore and pretty much not expected in the least bit. This school is one of the best in Maryland. Have you ever been to Baltimore? :)

Quoting Dffrntthanlast:

Sounds normal for baltimore sadly

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cutie3.14Katie
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I cannot even stomach the thought of sending my children to school. 

CafeMom Tickers
TheMommyTaxi
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Quoting Janet:

They should have police at every high school. Metal detectors maybe. Other than that there isn't much they can do.

Chai Latte, please

Metal detectors may not be the best choice.  Think of how many kids would be milling around (or standing in a crowd) outside,  waiting to go thru the detectors.  It would be like shooting fish in a barrell.  Safety is one thing, but  knee jerk reaction of putting metal detectors isn't helpful.  What if the kid pulled a fire alarm and ambushed them as they were coming out of the building?  How would the detectors have helped?

over40bride
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM

This terrifies me to no end. I just enrolled my daughter in public school for the first time this year. Her freshman year. Just yesterday they went on lock down because someone was spotted in the pick up/drop off area with a weapon. The police were called but they never found the person. They called off the lock down just 20 minutes later.

I'm not saying this can only happen in public schools. I know it can happen anytime anywhere but the school she was at before was VERY small and very secure.

K-8th with about 135 students total. Her class/grade had 7 students total and there was no 6th or 7th grades last year due to low enrollment. 

In a school that small you get to know everyone and get a sense of security I guess.

SparklingHope
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I saw this on the news last night before I left for an errand..so sad. No, I don't think our children are safe in school systems anymore. Makes me hesitate to put my son in a regular school when kindergarten comes around (we're homeschooling right now..which this story is not the main reason..but just adds a reason to continue longer). I think they should add more metal detectors like how they have it at the airport for schools now and check everyone from staff on down to the lowest grade level. 

BabyBrooke13
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM

ok this is not a normal occurance in that area . . . Perry Hall is in the county not the city for starters . . . it is also one of the best schools in not only the county, but the state as well . . . don't assume things about an area because you read Baltimore . . .

Regarding the incident itself, we live in Baltimore County, I went to school at Parkville which is right around the corner from Perry Hall and DH is a coach for the county . . . my first thought was could I know either of the families ? ? ? I still haven't been able to comprehend the idea that this happened so close to home, but it does and I will keep my children in a small private school in an attemt to protect them . . .

After a day with three sick kids, I just want a nice irish coffee please

Quoting Dffrntthanlast:

Yes

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Actually it was completely abnormal for that area of Baltimore and pretty much not expected in the least bit. This school is one of the best in Maryland. Have you ever been to Baltimore? :)

Quoting Dffrntthanlast:

Sounds normal for baltimore sadly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN