Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

A student brought a gun to my sons school today.

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:12 AM
  • 27 Replies

It was a BB gun.. but still! He is in elementary school. What the hell is this world coming to that a child that age could even have access to something like that?

Here is a portion of the letter from the school... "A student brought a BB gun to school today. The BB gun was never used in a threatening manner and the students who heard about it immediately reported it."

Great that they handled the problem. But.. I'm sorry that doesn't scare me any less. We all know the possibility of something like this happening. But it never seems like it could happen in your childs school. I may be overreacting since it was in fact a BB gun. And it wasn't used in a "threatening manner". But it just scares me even more for my children. I just thank god that nothing serious happened. And that it wasn't a different type of gun. I guess this was just a reminder of how scary the world really is.

Has anything scary like this happened in your childs school or in your area? My son didn't seem to have any idea about it. I feel like I should still talk to him about the situation I'm just not sure what to even say!

Sarah: Mommy to 2 little monsters. ♥ Mom to Mom Group Mod.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Omgosh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:16 AM
I saw your fb post earlier and about fell over! I'm glad it was just aBB gun. The kid probably brought it innocently enough to like show his friends, but still...with how it is now, you just don't/can't do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:42 AM

The parents shouldn't of even let the child out the door with it. What were the parents thinking.

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Yeah, I am wondering if that is what happened. We weren't told anything except the part I copied here. So really I have no freaking idea. I'm glad that the other students knew to tell someone at least. Even if the kid wasn't meaning harm by it.

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

I saw your fb post earlier and about fell over! I'm glad it was just aBB gun. The kid probably brought it innocently enough to like show his friends, but still...with how it is now, you just don't/can't do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:33 AM
I feel like in elementary school at least parents should still be checking backpacks and that sort of thing. So how did the kid get it out pf the house? More importantly why did the child have access to it at all?

Quoting MistressMinerva:

The parents shouldn't of even let the child out the door with it. What were the parents thinking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Quoting splatz:

I feel like in elementary school at least parents should still be checking backpacks and that sort od thing. So how did the kid get it out pf the house? More importantly why did the child have access to it at all?

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Every  morning you open up every pocket on your kids backpack & check everything? Wow, I couldn't imagine. You must have kids that really don't listen.

It was an opps. It wasn't to hurt anyone, it was to show it. Should he have gotten to it? No, but what age are we talking? Elementary to 12 years old? Or 9? Or how old was he? What grade? 

It was an opps not an omgosh & be terrified. It wasn't a gun, it was a BB Gun. If the admin has used their common sense, it shouldn't have even been discussed like that, just for this reason. Overreaction from parents whose kids weren't involved & the kid didn't bring it to hurt anyone. ( especially with a bb gun, hurt someone I meant ). 

Goodness, people that freak about this, are the same that are causing schools to freak about a deaf child that uses "gun" fingers to say his name & wanting him to change it! 

Michelle, Zumba Addict & Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Navy Submarine Disabled Vet & Vol Firefighters Wife To Jake! 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

That would scar me to death too girl! I don't let my kids play with guns at all. The little boys across the street play with BB guns. I could see something like this happening. Kids are sneaky. You would have to lock them up like a real gun and you should! If that happen at our school that kid would be in serious trouble.

There is so much random shooting going on in my city right now. It just started happening. They have no clue why yet.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Ya know working with elementary kids I would like to say most don't even know better! But then sadly I hear and see the things they do know. I would just mention safety in regards to guns with him. This world is terrible!
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM
His backpack has one giant pocket. I put his lunch box and take home folder in it every morning as he is leaving. How does that mean I have kids who don't listen exactly?

As stated before there was no information given other than what I wrote in my original post. And how would you know it wasn't used to hurt anyone and just to show off? Yes, it wasn't used in a threatening manner. But what if it just wasn't in a threatening manner YET? He could have been planning to do something and got caught first. It could have been to show it off. But unless it was your child how would you know?
Please tell me who is overreacting here?

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting splatz:

I feel like in elementary school at least parents should still be checking backpacks and that sort od thing. So how did the kid get it out pf the house? More importantly why did the child have access to it at all?

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Every  morning you open up every pocket on your kids backpack & check everything? Wow, I couldn't imagine. You must have kids that really don't listen.

It was an opps. It wasn't to hurt anyone, it was to show it. Should he have gotten to it? No, but what age are we talking? Elementary to 12 years old? Or 9? Or how old was he? What grade? 

It was an opps not an omgosh & be terrified. It wasn't a gun, it was a BB Gun. If the admin has used their common sense, it shouldn't have even been discussed like that, just for this reason. Overreaction from parents whose kids weren't involved & the kid didn't bring it to hurt anyone. ( especially with a bb gun, hurt someone I meant ). 

Goodness, people that freak about this, are the same that are causing schools to freak about a deaf child that uses "gun" fingers to say his name & wanting him to change it! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM
I do agree that they should be locked up like a real gun. Yes it wouldn't hurt someone like a real gun. But accidents happen. Especially considering the kid is an elementary student.

Quoting Janet:

That would scar me to death too girl! I don't let my kids play with guns at all. The little boys across the street play with BB guns. I could see something like this happening. Kids are sneaky. You would have to lock them up like a real gun and you should! If that happen at our school that kid would be in serious trouble.

There is so much random shooting going on in my city right now. It just started happening. They have no clue why yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)