Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

A student brought a gun to my sons school today.

Posted by   + Show Post

It was a BB gun.. but still! He is in elementary school. What the hell is this world coming to that a child that age could even have access to something like that?

Here is a portion of the letter from the school... "A student brought a BB gun to school today. The BB gun was never used in a threatening manner and the students who heard about it immediately reported it."

Great that they handled the problem. But.. I'm sorry that doesn't scare me any less. We all know the possibility of something like this happening. But it never seems like it could happen in your childs school. I may be overreacting since it was in fact a BB gun. And it wasn't used in a "threatening manner". But it just scares me even more for my children. I just thank god that nothing serious happened. And that it wasn't a different type of gun. I guess this was just a reminder of how scary the world really is.

Has anything scary like this happened in your childs school or in your area? My son didn't seem to have any idea about it. I feel like I should still talk to him about the situation I'm just not sure what to even say!

Sarah: Mommy to 2 little monsters. ♥ Mom to Mom Group Mod.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Replies (21-27):
goddess99
by Michelle on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Thankfully we haven't had this happen.

DixieFlower
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Without knowing more I can't really say either way. As to how he had access to it. Maybe it was his BB gun? It should be locked up but who knows? My nephew got a BB gun for Christmas when he was 7 yrs old. Before it was given to him he had several months prior about gun safety and training. After he opened up on Christmas it was put into a gun safe in my mom's room. He didn't have access to it unless an adult was with him. I know in elementary school I accidently took a camping knife to school. I had used the backpack for camping and when I unpacked everything I forgot to take the knife out of one of the smaller pockets. Discovered it when I went to get some pencils out of my back pack. The principal took it from me and gave it back at the end of the year.

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Teachers and the administrator should have talked to that child and unless the child ws very young, they should have done something for discipline.  No child should take any kind of gun to school.  I have heard of children being expelled for bringng BB guns to school.  But where was the parent when that kid left the home with te BB gun?  There is usually a no-guns period and it often leads in expulsion.  here even if it wasn't' used in a threatening manner, why would this child have it at school?  There should be some punshment for having it there and if child isyoung, perhaps not expulsion.   Some elementary kids get real guns at school  from their parent's drawer.  And kids have shot brothersor neighbors.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I haven't had anything like this happen. 

This is how I feel about guns: I hate them. Don't feel that a child of any age should have access to one without parental supervision until they learn completely about the gun, and are taught the proper way to handle one, including shooting it and how to take care of it and understanding when it is and isn't okay to have it and use it and load it. After that. . . then ... well, I couldn't complain. Around where I live I think you have to be at least 12 in order to even shoot one, Unless that is 13. And you have to take a test and everything. Well two tests. One written and one with the gun. And that is supervised by someone who knows about the guns. 

BB gun? still a gun. Still can kill if it's used in the right manner to do so. Can still injure a lot even without the knowledge to kill with it. 

I'm glad nothing serious happened. I'm glad all the kids are alright. I feel that the parents and especially the child that brought it in to school should have a long talk. 

Myruhbel
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Wth?!?! My 10 yr old just told me yesterday that his friend brought a nb gun to school yesterday! I was pretty upset myself! He said it was broken and I said it still is NOT okay to bring a firearm to school regardless if it's a nb gun a plastic toy gun, etc! :(
splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never been comfortable with guns. So, I think maybe that has something to do with why this bothers me. I get that in some households they are "cool", but that has just never been the case with my family. We don't do toy guns or anything like that. I know boys will still be boys. And my son still makes a gun with his fingers, lol. But I will not be providing a toy gun to play with. 

Quoting Myruhbel:

Wth?!?! My 10 yr old just told me yesterday that his friend brought a nb gun to school yesterday! I was pretty upset myself! He said it was broken and I said it still is NOT okay to bring a firearm to school regardless if it's a nb gun a plastic toy gun, etc! :(

splatz
by Sarah on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM

From the note from the school it said the student will be dealt with according to school policy. I'm actually not sure what that is when it comes to something like this though.

Quoting Basherte:

I haven't had anything like this happen. 

This is how I feel about guns: I hate them. Don't feel that a child of any age should have access to one without parental supervision until they learn completely about the gun, and are taught the proper way to handle one, including shooting it and how to take care of it and understanding when it is and isn't okay to have it and use it and load it. After that. . . then ... well, I couldn't complain. Around where I live I think you have to be at least 12 in order to even shoot one, Unless that is 13. And you have to take a test and everything. Well two tests. One written and one with the gun. And that is supervised by someone who knows about the guns. 

BB gun? still a gun. Still can kill if it's used in the right manner to do so. Can still injure a lot even without the knowledge to kill with it. 

I'm glad nothing serious happened. I'm glad all the kids are alright. I feel that the parents and especially the child that brought it in to school should have a long talk. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN