Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

3 more days until the anniversary of 9/11. Where were you when it happened? (OT)

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM
  • 27 Replies

At the time I worked 2 jobs so I didn't have time to watch tv, listen to the news or read the newspaper.

I think it happened on a Tuesday and on Thursday I went to go visit my dad in the hosiptal and he had the tv on and that's when I found out about what happened.

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethy16
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Living on Long Island,close enough to see and smell the smoke it hit us very hard out here. I was watching praying my brother got out alive. It was the longest day of our lives, but hearing his voice at the end of a crackly pay phone was music to our ears. Very long story short he carried his manager down 42 flights of steps (my brother is about 110lbs and his manager was 220 and just had knee surgery) he carried her all the way across town to a k mart to buy new clothes,then to Penn Station to get the hell out of the city. The whole time he had no idea he broke his ankle on some falling debris. He was then and will always be my hero :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in 7th grade health class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I was a sophomore in high school. I was in math class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I had just dropped my son off at school & got to work when it happened. It was horrible. Being a couple miles from the sub base & a little over an hour from NYC, it was very scary. Then to keep hearing a plane went down in "Western Pennsylvania" and that is where I am from & all my family was there, I just kept screaming at the tv to say WHERE in WP. It isn't a small area. 

It wasn't anywhere near where I was from nor close enough family would be there. Work allowed us to leave, I went & got my son out of school. The school, being civilian run but 98% military, understood the impact. They told the kids that there were bees on the playgrounds & no one was allowed out. The school was a mile from the base. The subs had already been given orders to get OUT to sea ASAP. So that was all starting to happen. My husband wasn't home, he was up in Maine. I couldn't hear from him until very very late that night. 

After picking up my son, I went to my friends house who lived down the street. We were only half a mile from the sub base. The kids played upstairs & we watched the news. 

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Sleeping. My sister told me a plane crashed into the world trade center and we were at war. and I came out saw the plane in it said it was horrid accident and went back to bed. when i woke up again three more planes had crashed and it wasnt an accident. who knew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I was at work.

kckmom3
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I was living in California at the time with my grandparents. I woke up and went downstairs at around 10 a.m. west coast time and my grandparents were sitting there glued to the tv. They told me that America was under attack and we spent most of the rest of the day watching the news.

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I was driving to the local military base for physical therapy for leg pain.  I heard Howard Stern describing the 2nd plane hit as hit was happening.  Got to my appt and it wasn't really happening.  We all stood there in the facility and watched the TV.  I tried to get ahold of my family members but the phones were jammed up.  I had my baby sister on a plane (alone) while it happened and my mom was due to fly out that morning to PA so I was very worried about them both.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I was a bartender at the time so I woke up at noon (the good ole days!) and saw it on the news.

katmom76
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I was on my way to work and I was late. I heard about it on the radio in the cab. I didn't believe it first because both of my parents worked in Manhattan at the time. My father worked for MTA and was a train operator so I was very worried when I got to work. All I could do when I spoke to my parents was cry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN