Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Potty training... Update

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM
  • 12 Replies

Our 22 month old dd has been showing an interest in wanting to learn how to use the potty. She lets us know when she uses her diaper and will use the bathroom if we put her on her potty with her diaper on. BUT, if we take off her diaper and try to sit her on it, she freaks out. I mean she screams and cries and tenses up her body with her legs straight out... she wants nothing to do with it... Has anyone else experienced this while trying to potty train your kids??

Update: Tonight after eating her dinner, dd told daddy she needed to go peepee and went to the bathroom. He got her potty chair and took off her clothes and diaper and, sure enough, she sat down with no problems!! I think she may finally be ready. She didn't actually potty until we put a pull up on her and she sat down, but it's a big step in the right direction!!!

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Just leave it out for her to sit on it with her diaper on then. Don't try with the diaper off for a couple months, then try again. You can't force her that will create a whole lot of other issues.

gem_mommie
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Man, our daughter was SO easy to potty train. Our son (26mo) wants nothing to do with it most of the time. He understands, he knows when he has to go and you can see him holding it (when his diaper is off), but put him on the potty - nothing. If he has to REALLY pee and I set him on the potty he gets so upset and starts crying. I know it's a control thing and also probably a nervous thing, but it can be frustrating. I've just decided to really let him lead and be casual about it. I'm big on positive reinforcement and I'm infamous for getting all super gooby and excited about little stuff, but he could care less when it comes to the potty. Lol. I really don't like that he's still in diapers, especially because I know he knows what he's doing...but, it's pretty normal at this stage. Unnecessarily stressing him out (and as a result myself) is not important to me. I'm just being patient and repeatative. Good luck to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I would just get a potty chair and let her do what she wants. My dd was older so I didn't have an issues.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM
My almost 2 year old freaks about the potty the majority of the time too. I have just eased off for awhile. No sense in trying to force it and make things worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM
My dd showed interetc around that time as well but would only sit on a regular toilet. She's 27 months now and completely in underwear. My son was a little over 3 before he potty trained.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I'm about to start potty training with my 16 month old soon!
DixieFlower
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I agree with this. My oldest loved his "frog" potty. My youngest won't have anything to do with it but will use the thomas the train seat that goes on the regular potty.

Quoting goddess99:

I would just get a potty chair and let her do what she wants. My dd was older so I didn't have an issues.

LilyBeansMom
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Is it a potty chair or on the toilet? We had trouble with our daughter until someone told me to put a stool in front of the toilet to put her feet on so she felt more in control. She was older and learning to poop on the potty at the time, but it made a huge difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anl1991
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM

We have tried both, she reacts the same with both..

thismomisold
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:26 PM

when she is ready she will do it , I am working with our 22 month old son .you would really think i would be a pro being this is my 5th child lol . but i can honestly say i never sent any of my kids to kindergarten with diapers. it will happen. i know there is so many people with so many ideas and alot of different ways , my way is working, i let my son run around naked and leave his potty chair in the living room and he is doing very well , we still have a few mis haps but he is getting it , i only use diapers when we go out or when he sleeps at nite .by the way I hate these new potty chairs ,(lol) a big round of applause works well for my son. i hate pull ups all they are diapers he can take off more easily they are just something else to get rid of .try pretty panties , reward her when she does go , dont stress about it .sometimes we as moms are more ready than they are, i always ask if he hasnt gone in 30 min  need to go pee or need to poop , some kids are easier than others  good luck just dont  lose hope or patience ,and no ,duct taping her to the potty wont work either lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN