Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Potty training... Update

Posted by   + Show Post

Our 22 month old dd has been showing an interest in wanting to learn how to use the potty. She lets us know when she uses her diaper and will use the bathroom if we put her on her potty with her diaper on. BUT, if we take off her diaper and try to sit her on it, she freaks out. I mean she screams and cries and tenses up her body with her legs straight out... she wants nothing to do with it... Has anyone else experienced this while trying to potty train your kids??

Update: Tonight after eating her dinner, dd told daddy she needed to go peepee and went to the bathroom. He got her potty chair and took off her clothes and diaper and, sure enough, she sat down with no problems!! I think she may finally be ready. She didn't actually potty until we put a pull up on her and she sat down, but it's a big step in the right direction!!!

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Replies (11-12):
SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, that's a clear sign that she's not ready.  Once she's ready, you'll have no problem.  Don't rush it.  There's a much larger risk of regression and other problems if you start this young anyway.

DixieFlower
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I agree with it will happen when they are ready. Right now my 22 month old will occassionally tell us potty. When he does he's usually taking his diaper off and heading to the bathroom and he does pee in the potty. I'm not rushing it just like I didn't with my oldest. When he was 2.5 yrs old he just decided that he wasn't going to use diapers anymore. Literally within 24 hrs he wasn't using them anymore. He's 3.5 yrs old now and the only accident he's had is when he's been sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)