Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Reflecting on 9-11

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

September 11, 2001 was a day America was changed forever.

Click HERE to go to the 9/11 Memorial website.
Click HERE to ask a fellow CafeMom member anything. She lost her father that day.

Take a moment today to reflect on what happened that day and remember those
who were taken and those who were injured and post a 9/11 graphic here that you like. We'd love for you to share with us!

1. How did 9/11 affect you personally?

2. Have you been to any of the memorial sites or do you hope to one day?

3. What do you think was the greatest impact this tragedy had on America?

4. Should they make 9/11 a national holiday?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Replies (41-50):
Rosehawk
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Tea please.

How did 9/11 affect you personally? It didn't. Not really. I was in the Army, stationed in Germany. I was in a secured office with no media. I stepped out to go to the bathroom, and THAT'S when I found out. At least one tower had already fallen, if not both. I saw the smoking ruins on TV, and everyone running around in a panic. I was half-way around the world though, it wasn't as immediate to me. All my family lives on the West Coast too, so I knew they were safe.

Have you been to any of the memorial sites or do you hope to one day? I have not been, nor do I plan to.

What do you think was the greatest impact this tragedy had on America? For a short time it brought a nation together against the enemy. Over time though, the solidarity has faded and the tragedy became just another tool for politicians. It brought more death and destruction to the world in the guise of retribution. It deflated some of the arrogance we Americans have, but not enough. We (generally) think we still have the right to tell the rest of the world how to run their countries. We still think we're invulnerable. Not so much as before, but the feelings are still there.

Should they make 9/11 a national holiday? No. I do not want to spend the rest of my life, or my kids' lives, celebrating this tragedy. It should be a solemn day, especially for those that lost friends and/or family. I think it is a disservice to ALL that lost lives to celebrate their loss. Reflect, remember, be passionate, but NOT a holiday. To make it a national holiday would just give a large percentage of the population another excuse to go out, get drunk, and act like an idiot. Those that lost their lives deserve more respect than that.

Cafe Beth
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Not being able to get ahold of him must have been awful and scary. I remember the sniper ordeal. That was very freaky. Thank you for sharing with us.

Quoting mrswillie:

1. How did 9/11 affect you personally?

Dh was in the Pentagon.  He didn't work their regularly, but was scheduled to go work on a piece of equipment his company had there.  I couldn't get hold of him. I didn't know if he had already been and gone, was there or hadn't been yet. Landline and cell lines were jammed. I couldn't even get a dial tone to try to reach him.  I work 5 minutes outside DC.  I had crews of installers in DC. I had only worked at the company for a couple months. The owner left me there to get to his wife. I started trying to get tech out of DC, but 2 ways weren't working well either. After about 2 hours I left to go get my chidren. My commute that normally took me 25 minutes took about 4 hours. I finally got word my husband had already left the Pentagon by the time the plane hit.

This, and the sniper shootings were major factors in moving out family from the DC Metro area to the mountains of WV.

No. All though I know I didn't loose a loved one that day, it is still one of the worst days of my life. I can't imagine the pain others who lost feel.

3. What do you think was the greatest impact this tragedy had on America?

I think it impacted each peson differently. I also think, we, as a Nation had a gradious, "can't touch us" feeling prior. 

4. Should they make 9/11 a national holiday?

I don't believe it needs to be a National holiday, as other tradegies have happened in our history as well. I do think we should always remember.

Cafe Beth
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I really appreciate you sharing this. I have noticed that some of the younger people out there seem to dismiss this. I don't know if it's not understanding the impact of it and of what actually happened or simply not caring. I don't know; maybe it's nothing like that at all.

Quoting romalove:

I live in NJ.  I grew up visiting the WTC, I worked there briefly in the early 1980's.  My sister was in the building 10 minutes before the first plane hit.  I am friends with people who lost loved ones, and a firefighter who traded places with someone for work that day, and the person he traded with died. 

I have been unable to go so far; I get too upset.

Obviously the ongoing war.  I think it dragged us out of old fashioned "cold war" thinking and into thinking of a newer enemy, one that was more difficult to pinpoint.  I think it made Americans think about Islam in ways it hadn't before, and while it has been difficult on American Muslims, I have noticed they are increasing in numbers in America since 9/11. 

Up till this year I voted "no".  I thought for sure that everyone would remember without a holiday.  There are a number of threads on CM, though, that are making me rethink that stance.  Too many people who were too young to understand when we were attacked what actually happened and are either perplexed by the coverage or are annoyed at the coverage are convincing me that maybe we need a holiday to get everyone on the same page.  America was attacked, and if you didn't live in the NY/NJ area, or in Washington, DC, it doesn't matter, 9/11 was a strike against all of us.  Too many people are not seeing it.

LAXmom21
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Quoting Cafe Beth:

1. How did 9/11 affect you personally? My cousin was killed that day, he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, I also knew others who were in the buildings but got out. A good family friends son was also killed there that day. I still can't make it through the day without crying. It upsets me when people say we should get over it and that it was our government not the terrorists etc....

2. Have you been to any of the memorial sites or do you hope to one day? I was there a few years ago but I haven't been back lately. I would like to go next Spring.

3. What do you think was the greatest impact this tragedy had on America?  I feel like it did bring the nation together for a short period of time. I also think it changed the way people felt about the US being invincible, that no one would dare do this. Our sense of security was shaken but NOT broken!

yes but that's a strictly personal feeling.

romalove
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Quoting Cafe Beth:

I really appreciate you sharing this. I have noticed that some of the younger people out there seem to dismiss this. I don't know if it's not understanding the impact of it and of what actually happened or simply not caring. I don't know; maybe it's nothing like that at all.

Quoting romalove:

I live in NJ.  I grew up visiting the WTC, I worked there briefly in the early 1980's.  My sister was in the building 10 minutes before the first plane hit.  I am friends with people who lost loved ones, and a firefighter who traded places with someone for work that day, and the person he traded with died. 

I have been unable to go so far; I get too upset.

Obviously the ongoing war.  I think it dragged us out of old fashioned "cold war" thinking and into thinking of a newer enemy, one that was more difficult to pinpoint.  I think it made Americans think about Islam in ways it hadn't before, and while it has been difficult on American Muslims, I have noticed they are increasing in numbers in America since 9/11. 

Up till this year I voted "no".  I thought for sure that everyone would remember without a holiday.  There are a number of threads on CM, though, that are making me rethink that stance.  Too many people who were too young to understand when we were attacked what actually happened and are either perplexed by the coverage or are annoyed at the coverage are convincing me that maybe we need a holiday to get everyone on the same page.  America was attacked, and if you didn't live in the NY/NJ area, or in Washington, DC, it doesn't matter, 9/11 was a strike against all of us.  Too many people are not seeing it.

I think we forget how quickly time passes.  All of my children were born before 9/11, but so many more have been born since.  So many of them likely haven't been told much if anything about the attacks.  So many others, who didn't live in the close vicinity of NYC or Washington, DC likely have lesser memories and don't have the focus that we have here in this area.  I noticed the last few years that the reading of the names, which is wall to wall on my television across stations, isn't being done in Philadelphia on the same networks that are carrying it in NY.  I think that makes a difference in perspective.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

its something i will never forget.  there are certain songs or videos that make me think back to that specific day.  

i have not been to the memorial sites, but i was in the north tower when i was in 8th grade (4 year before the attack)

I think this tragedy has made ppl scared.

no i don't think it should.  its not the first tragedy to happen.  it is sad and tragic, and we will definately never forget.  but we also cant forget about the others, like the oklahoma bombing, columbine.  if we made every tragedy into a holiday, we would have more holidays than normal days.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Rhiannon1980
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM

This is a day that has had a huge impact on my life.

I was in AIT (job training for the Army) when this happened. I found out that my brother happened to be on the phone with my best friend who was in the towers when it happened. I miss him so much to this day and to think the night before I said to him " just think in a week you will be in basic and in the Army just like you always wanted." But one good thing did come for that day. I got my father back who had not spoken to me in 3 years because of something to do with my mom. He worked in the pentagon. It happened he left 1/2 hour before the plane hit because he didn't feel good. He was working in that area at the time. I had to call my mom to get a hold of my uncle to see if my dad was ok. When I called her back after about 2 hours of talking to her the first time she told me to call my uncle. I did and he had the number to my dad's in laws in PA where he was and that he wanted to talk with me. That was the start of a new beginning for us. Needless to say I now talk with my dad on a weekly basics now. I don't ever hang up a phone with out telling the ones I love I love you.

I have not been to any sites yet

I don't honstly know if it should be a holiday or not. I know its a day near and dear to me.

shauna.robinson
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I remember my parents waking me up to see it on the news. I think it brought America closer together, united us again, at least for a time.

5 shot Vente caramel macchiato please.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Beth
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You did a great job of sharing what you're thinking. I'm glad you shared with us and I definitely agree that it's important to continue remembering and honor those who lost their lives.

Here's your cappuccino. I hope you enjoy it!

Quoting ninastone:

I will have a cappuccino please!

I am married to a firefighter. My brother is a firefighter, and my dad is a firefighter.  I always feel great sorrow and sympathy for the firefighters, first responders and their families on this day.  I know what it is like to see your loved ones go off to work and know there is a chance something could happen to them.  On average 100 firefighters lose their lives in the line of duty every year, in 2001 343 firefighters lost their lives in one day. It is a terrible tragedy on so many levels, but for me personally the tragedy that fell upon the FDNY family has the greatest impact on my life.

I have not been to any of the memorial sites, but I would love to go to Ground Zero in NYC one day.  I think it is important for us to continue to remember and honor those people who gave their lives and those who lost them.

I think, if only for a short while, it really brought Americans together.  As the largest attack on the United States on American soil, we recognized we are not invincible and banded together to support our troops, first responders, families and friends. 

I think it would be appropriate to make 9/11 a national day of remembrance, like Memorial Day.  I think it is important to recognize what happened to this country and to try to keep it in the forefront of our minds.  Of course as a firefighters wife, I think it would be an exceptional day to set aside for us to remember the men and women that give their lives daily as police, fire, EMS and first responders. It wasn't just 9/11 that these men and women gave their lives, they risk them everyday.

acrogodess
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Yeah, we live upstate in Albany, but my mom is still in the same neighborhood.

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Thank you for sharing this. Did you move from there?

Here is a latte for you. I hope you enjoy it!

Quoting acrogodess:

I was living in the Soundview projects in the Bronx, right across the river from La Guardia airport and downtown Manhattan. I saw right outside my window, the towers smoking, the billowing cloud of dust. For months I smelled the smell of burning or rotting flesh. It's a smell like no other. It is seared into my mind. They said it was the trash, but if you've ever burned your hair, you know the smell I am talking about. A plane flying overhead still makes me have a mini panic attack. In fact, my stomach has hurt and so has my chest since I woke up this morning. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)