Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school fundraisers

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
I know schools need money but the fundraisers have to stop!!! With in the first wk of school we had two fundraisers come home. one for food and one a running/money for each lap one. the bad thing is i have three kids in school and cant do every fundraiser. i would be broke!
I dont like that they give out prizes to each student who participates. So if 1/2 or so of my Kindergarteners class particpates and mine doesnt they single them out with prizes. same goes in my sons 1st and 4th grade.
This run-a-thon was like this: the kids were suppose to get a pledge for how many laps they run. like a $ a lap. the paper said the average kid runs 25-35 laps. even if i did a $ that would still be almost $100 for all three kids. and the $/lap was for the cheapeat prize. ugh...
sorry, just venting. i just think if schools do fund raisers they shouldnt do prizes.
anyone agree or disagree?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM

As a previous PTO President for Years, we tried doing a no prize fundraiser at our school and it was a HUGE flob. Kids want that junk and if they don't get it parents go nuts. So that didn't work for our school.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a problem with them because it isn't candy bars any more it's expensive jewelry and high priced food items. With two in school its to expensive. Then if you don't sell anything you don't get to see a animal show. Tell me that's fair?

LadyJag
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I understand. My daughter can home the 4th day of school with Entertainment Books to sell. The following week, she came home with expensive gourmet frozen foods and Yankee Candles fundraisers. We no sooner turned in her sales from that fundraiser, when Girl Scouts gave her magazines and expensive nuts and chocolates to sell!

AND I should mention that one of the junk...I mean "prizes" for selling 10+ items for her school fundraiser is an AIR HORN!! SERIOUSLY?!? You reward prek 3-year-olds through 8th grade students with AIR HORNS????

So this year I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to stop complaining and DO something, so I joined the PTO board and volunteered (okay, I was sort of "volunTOLD") to co-chair the Fundraising committee. After just one meeting, I gained a lot of perspective on the fundraising thing. I learned that just last year, the money from the fundraising brought in enough to buy every teacher in the school (prek3-8th) an iPad for their classroom and lesson plans, and that technology had really brought some good educational resources to the classrooms.

As the new co-chair, I also started looking around at some of the alternatives to junky fundraisers. One is a local restaurant's "Cause and Encheck" program, where they donate 10% of sales for a specific day to the school (it's a Catholic non-profit). The other is an online shopping cart fundraising solution that sells gift cards through an internet ordering system. My friend who volunteers at her son's Catholic school across town gave me this second idea and said that they successfully replaced their high-end cookie dough/wrapping paper/nuts junky fundraiser sales with this program! Better still, there's no product sorting/delivery/pick-up days to schedule! So there would be no more "come pick up your now thawed frozen foods from the gym after school on X date!" Instead, gift cards are FedExed to the school and then sent home!

I am still waiting to hear back from the PTO president and school principal on this idea, but I figure that even if the idea is shot down, at least I made the attempt to change the program, and that in itself is empowering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM

We took over the fundraisers as PTO and changed it for good. 

We did fundraisers where it wasn't about taking stupid catalogs around & selling crap no one wants.

We did what was called a Basket Bash. You would have each class do a theme Basket like Cars or Princesses or Harry Potter Or Magic or whatever the class picks. The kids donate an item in their price range for the basket in the theme. Like for Matchbox, it could be one kid brings 2 cars, one get a 5 pack, etc. The teacher would donate a bit bigger like a track. Other groups like the secretaries etc or the Speech therapists or the Cafeteria workers, etc. Pick a theme & donate the basket. Then you get places to donate things like gift cards, night out at a hotel, sports tickets, gas cards, American Girl donated a doll, Bikes, etc. You name it. Then you get Tupperware people, creative memories, Pampered Chef, etc to donate a basket. Zumba instructor, Karate, etc. People buy tickets & it is a huge chinese auction. Different prices for different levels. Like an American Doll Girl will be more expensive tickets than $10 gas card ( just an example )Then you have a snack bar because you want people to stay, eat, wait for tickets to be drawn & usually will buy even more. You get a DJ to volunteer their time to play music, have fun with the Cha Cha Slide & the Cupid Shuffle.  It can be opened to the entire community, so it isn't just for kids or the school or their families. You announce it in the newspaper, put fliers up all over, etc. We raised $6,000 to $7,000 every year! ( It is a small not well off area )

Then we also did a 5 K. People love this stuff, if you plan it ahead & you get with runners, they will help you do it. You put fliers up, put them at Gyms, take them to other 5 Ks, people LOVE that stuff. You give them a t shirt & some snacks after the race, you got a thousand dollar fundraiser. 

If it has to be something that has to be sold, then something that isn't out of a book. Like, Our local Gas station does made to order food. They sell sub coupons & they go over awesome because you are getting a deal on a sub you would buy anyway. Pizza places, do the same thing. Also, make subs, kids order them, they pick them up on a Friday, people knew they had dinner that night. 

And who cares if the kids & parents want stupid prizes? You let them know what it goes for & if it flops, their activities won't happen. People needs to quit this me me me attitude & people needs to stop giving into it. 

There should always be an "opt out" choice. Sell X or give X. Selling $50 worth of stuff on a GREAT fundraiser, the school gets $25. So say, Sell $50 or give $25 per student. Also, make sure it actually WORKS for a fundraiser than have 5, have 2 that raise the money. Parents would be happier.

See if you can go to the meetings & help with fundraisers. Suggest NON catalog or taking order types. No one likes them. I work from home, so, um, I can't take them to my co workers, I have a small family & refuse to make them constantly order, same with friends. Hubby can't take it to work, but even if he could, they are a bunch of guys that rarely have the money to do it or have to ask the wife first. No orders come. 

Michelle, Zumba Addict & Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Navy Submarine Disabled Vet & Vol Firefighters Wife To Jake! 

KLove_Mom
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

The only ones I've ever thought really useful were the magazine drives that my mom's private school does. You can even just "renew" magazines you already get, and the school gets some money from it. 

I hated fundraisers as a kid, cause as one of 4 kids, we couldn't ever raise enough either. And I am looking at not doing fundraisers as a major perk as I consider homeschooling my own kids.

Of course, I say that, and many of the fundraisers I bought from last year were friends' kids' team sports. We got frozen pizzas that taste pretty awful, my kids won't even eat them.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine arent in school yet but i try to support my coworkers kiddos. I do like the yankee candle one, also the mixedbagdesigns.com one, those bags are awesome!, i think diamond candle should have one. I think the more practical items are easier to sell. I dont want to buy junk, i want something i can use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LadyJag:

I understand. My daughter can home the 4th day of school with Entertainment Books to sell. The following week, she came home with expensive gourmet frozen foods and Yankee Candles fundraisers. We no sooner turned in her sales from that fundraiser, when Girl Scouts gave her magazines and expensive nuts and chocolates to sell!

AND I should mention that one of the junk...I mean "prizes" for selling 10+ items for her school fundraiser is an AIR HORN!! SERIOUSLY?!? You reward prek 3-year-olds through 8th grade students with AIR HORNS????

So this year I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to stop complaining and DO something, so I joined the PTO board and volunteered (okay, I was sort of "volunTOLD") to co-chair the Fundraising committee. After just one meeting, I gained a lot of perspective on the fundraising thing. I learned that just last year, the money from the fundraising brought in enough to buy every teacher in the school (prek3-8th) an iPad for their classroom and lesson plans, and that technology had really brought some good educational resources to the classrooms.

As the new co-chair, I also started looking around at some of the alternatives to junky fundraisers. One is a local restaurant's "Cause and Encheck" program, where they donate 10% of sales for a specific day to the school (it's a Catholic non-profit). The other is an online shopping cart fundraising solution that sells gift cards through an internet ordering system. My friend who volunteers at her son's Catholic school across town gave me this second idea and said that they successfully replaced their high-end cookie dough/wrapping paper/nuts junky fundraiser sales with this program! Better still, there's no product sorting/delivery/pick-up days to schedule! So there would be no more "come pick up your now thawed frozen foods from the gym after school on X date!" Instead, gift cards are FedExed to the school and then sent home!

I am still waiting to hear back from the PTO president and school principal on this idea, but I figure that even if the idea is shot down, at least I made the attempt to change the program, and that in itself is empowering.

The dinner out fundraisers where Restaurants do that are great. Some will give 20% which is even better. 

But there is NO REASON that teachers of that young of kids need iPads. Teachers have taught for years without technology but to need an iPad to do lessons plans, that is what is wrong with schools!! TOTALLY wrong! The money doesn't need to go to five hundred dollar I pads per teacher. Educational resources could come without an iPad!

Michelle, Zumba Addict & Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Navy Submarine Disabled Vet & Vol Firefighters Wife To Jake! 

LadyJag
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM
I can understand your skepticism, but the iPads are not just for lesson plans. The teachers also use the iPads for classroom lessons and for instructional purposes, email, tracking grades, etc. They were $400 (not $500) each and tax free, since the school is non-profit.

Yes, teachers have taught without technology for years, but that doesn't mean technology has no place in the classroom. I mean, teachers taught for years with just slates and chalk too, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have dry erase boards and notebook paper.

Some schools in the country already issue iPads or similar tablets to STUDENTS and then download all the textbooks onto the tablet, instead of purchasing multiple copies of expensive paper copies that kill trees, cost a fortune to ship, and get lost or damaged.

But really, my original point was that I found it helpful to actually get involved and try to make changes to the fundraising program. Just by attending the one meeting, I learned a lot about where the funds go, and could voice my concerns directly as well as suggest alternatives.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting LadyJag:

The dinner out fundraisers where Restaurants do that are great. Some will give 20% which is even better. 

But there is NO REASON that teachers of that young of kids need iPads. Teachers have taught for years without technology but to need an iPad to do lessons plans, that is what is wrong with schools!! TOTALLY wrong! The money doesn't need to go to five hundred dollar I pads per teacher. Educational resources could come without an iPad!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aslusher77
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Thanks for your view on it...prob wouldnt work in our school either but it would be nice.

Quoting goddess99:

As a previous PTO President for Years, we tried doing a no prize fundraiser at our school and it was a HUGE flob. Kids want that junk and if they don't get it parents go nuts. So that didn't work for our school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aslusher77
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
It isnt fair! U r correct! It makes the ones who dont sell anything feel bad :(

Quoting Janet:

I have a problem with them because it isn't candy bars any more it's expensive jewelry and high priced food items. With two in school its to expensive. Then if you don't sell anything you don't get to see a animal show. Tell me that's fair?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)