Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

The neighbor is creeping me out....he knows I am spoken for.

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM
  • 30 Replies

The neighbors next door are divorcing.  They are a rather quiet family.  Today at lunch, the guy neighbor came over and started talking to me, having a melt down about he has no money, etc.  I am spoken for, am friends with the lady next door.  I dont want to be rude to him, but I have a boyfriend and want to keep him.  What do I do?  What do I say?

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM
Idk...i always get stuck being everyone else's confidante as well. i just nod and make sympathetic noises lol. what else can you do? maybe try gently steering him towards talking with one of his male buddies?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this

so because you have a boyfriend you cant be a friend to another of the opposite sex?  

Ladybug1260
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM
3 moms liked this

That's just my way of thinking.  I dont feel comfortable talking to other guys as friends when spoken for. 

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

so because you have a boyfriend you cant be a friend to another of the opposite sex?  

thecoffeefairy
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Have compassion. His work is collapsing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Knightquester
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this

hmmm.... is he hitting on you, or venting about his situation and just talking because he needs somebody to talk to?  I ask this because I have many male friends and that is all they are, friends.  My husband doesn't mind them and in fact has befriended them through me.  At one point (not anymore) they were all single guys too, but a good man won't be threatened because his wife/girlfriend has a friend of the opposite gender.

If the guy is hitting on you, or acting inappropriate then let him know.  You're an adult so that shouldn't be too hard.  I have had to tell a few men because they couldn't get the subtle hints to back off that I was not only married but happily married to my best friend and wasn't interested, they tend to say "lucky guy" and back off.

If he's just giving you a bad vibe like he's interested in you, but hasn't made a move then let your boyfriend know and stay your distance from him.  Be busy when he's around and busy yourself with other things, smile and say I'm sorry you're going through a hard time, but I have to go... after awhile of the cold shoulder approach he'll get the point or will start to get disinterested.

LivinDeadGurl
Starting a new job next month! So excited!
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
by Maranda on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I can't really offer any advice since I don't see anything wrong with being friends with another man while "spoken for".

blondie0234
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Can't really be of any help when I see nothing wrong....he's not trying to bed you...just needs someone to lean on. 

the3Rs
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I can't really offer any advice since I don't see anything wrong with being friends with another man while "spoken for".

Venae
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM

If you don't want to talk to him, don't answer the door.

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I'd say that you don't think it's appropriate to hang out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)