Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: There's a fee for everything

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

There's a family going to Disney World to celebrate the birthday of the
5 year old daughter. The family paid for their tickets 7 months in advance to
ensure they would be seated together. But American Airlines changed the
flight schedule and separated the child from her family. To "fix" this there is an additonal $60 Premium Seating fee (aka you-get-to-sit-with-your-child fee).

* Click here to read the full story. *

1. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you read this story?

2. Does this change how you feel about commerical flying?

3. Would you pay the fee upfront and move on or would you demand that
they keep your family together and not pay the fee?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Replies (31-40):
jacc2007
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

That's the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard of. How can they charge a family just to be able to sit together? Especially when the family member being separated is a small child? 

Sara717
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

everytime i have been on an airline, people have switched seats anyway, the never cared.

iansusie
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I flew round trip a total of 4 flights. On the way back they assigned us separate rows all over the plane for my 2nd flight) I laughed and told the lady, we will se how that goes when my 5 yr old starts screaming and my 7 yr old annoys the other passanger with his singing. She laughed too and said not to worry, they'd fix it. That is when the lady at the gate said it was "unacceptable" and it was companies policy to never seat an accompanied minor away from his accompanying adult. On the 1st returning flight, they did double book my seat, the lady was pissed I was in "her seat" and she wasn't going to be able to sit with her other 3 friends and she had booked since April (well so did I), so I graciously said, "Well, since I see it is so much more important for a grown woman to sit by her friends, I will move but please refrain from calling me when my children get upset or need you to get up every 5 min to go tell their mommy something or go to the bathroom or if they end up spilling their drink on you." The flight attendant told the lady to chill out (in nicer words off course) and she would find her a different seat, that there was NO way they were going to ask me to move because it was more difficult to move all 3 of us than to move her.  

ashbrydio
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

that is just alittle crazy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

come join this group if you love you husband

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117403

BabyFetus Ticker

Emschick38
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

When we flew from KC MO to San Fransisco they had my 4 year old in a different row and my 11 year old 2 rows ahead of that. I very sternly told the lady at the desk that I was not going to allow them to seperate me from my children by that far. The basically asked all the single flyers if they would be willing to switch until they found us a full row for all of us.  I would have flipped out if they had not done it. On our flight to Korea they had been all messed up but the ticket desk said the flight attendant would handle it, and when we got on we had 2 full rows to the 4 of us (6 seats)

justme_onlyme7
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

1. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you read this story?

Oh no, I don't think so. Your not getting by with this one.

2. Does this change how you feel about commerical flying?

No, but if I still had kids at home I'd push the issue that my kids are able to sit with us or very close to us (across the aisle or in front or behind me/us)

3. Would you pay the fee upfront and move on or would you demand that they keep your family together and not pay the fee?

I would not pay it upfront.  It gets expensive enough as it is and it is their doings not ours.  They need to correct their mistake and keep families together.  Too many things happens to kids as it is. On the other hand, if I just had to pay for it then so be it but would go through a different airline the next time.

As for coffee, tea, hot chocolate... something warm would be nice but don't know what.  ;-)  TY Cafe Beth for what ever you choose.

salviniata23
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM
  1.  1. pissed off!!!                                                                
  2. yes bcuz they need to know we are paying customers!
  3. and i would demand until shit got fixed
vinalex0581
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

this is why i don't fly anywhere.

i'd prefer to drive, if possible.

iansusie
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I just read the full story, so they had 2 seats together and one separate, which just happened to have the child's name. I think they overreacted, all he had to do is ask at the gate or the other passenger. And if not suck it up and let the child use one of the 2 seats that were booked together and the other parent seat in her assigned seat. the whole premium thing sucks but they had options, it is not like they were all in 3 different rows so the kid would have to sit alone. I mean it is just a flight you have 7 days to be together. No I wouldn't pay the fee but I would ask at the gate or the other passenger and if I still don't get the seat I'd suck it up. Not to mention, if the seat was "open" anyway, they could have switched once on the plane without paying for it! Oh and unless they paid had already paid for "premium" seats to sit together, they ONLY paid to have "A" seat on the plane, any seat available.... 

Mousuke
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I don't see this as being a huge deal because I have never seen a stranger refuse a family's request to trade seats in order for the family to sit together.

You can get around the fee, thanks to human kindness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN