Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

postpartum depression

Posted by   + Show Post
Anyone have / had it? What did it feel like? My daughter is 2 months old and I still feel like I have the "baby blues"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Postpartum depression is a bitch. I had it the first time and foolishly thought I could deal with it on my own. I was horribly wrong and wound up having to stay with my in laws for 2 weeks while I adjusted to the meds and being a mom. The second time I started showing signs of paranoia right before I gave birth so as soon as my daughter was born I was placed on lexapro.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs...hope it gets better...

StarBrightSun
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

You should see a Doctor right away.2. you should write everything you feel,tell your Dr. I heard those medications they give for that, do miracles. Walk with your baby for 30 mins. to an hour you'll feel great.

StarBrightSun
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I heard those medications they give for that, do miracles.

Quote:

I heard the medications they give for those symptoms do miracles once you get used to them.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I had it and it was not fun at all. I didn't want to take care of myself and worried about everything.

angelbab24
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the info / advice- I'm going to call my doctor Monday. I spoke to dh last night he kinda brushed it off- I dont think he knows enough about it to truly understand how I'm feeling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this
Love

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope it gets better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy425906
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had it for almost a yr now .... My symptoms started around 3 mos postpartum. If you join the depression group there is a Postpartum Depression forum.

But regardless, talk to your doc asap. Baby blues for 2 mos is a long time.

Also check out the website: (lots of great info!)

www.postpartumprogress.com

Arwynn
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree woth all of this.
I had PPD with both boys. The first because I was in a new are with new people and didn't know how to ask for help. I didn't know how to be a mom. With my second I was completely overwhelmed. The only way he would sleep was in my arms. I spent most of his first year sleeping in a recliner with him. I thought he was colicky and it turned out to be his ears. I felt I was a horrible mom. I know better now.

It is good to seek help. Take vitamins. Take a daily walk - vitamin D is amazing and the fresh air will help immensely. And accept the help offered. Ask for help when you need it. Those are the two hardest things I had to learn.

People say to let them know how they can help you and they mean it. They don't get specific in their requests to help because they don't know what you need. They won't know what you need unless you vocalize it.

Quoting mom2gr8tgirls:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those stretch marks are there forever.  There is not magical cream or cure that removes them.  You can use Mederma (I've heard it works well) to lessen how prominent they are, but nothing will remove them.  I've seen a photo on FB...I'll see if I can find it for you.

As far as you feeling like a failure, you aren't.  The simple fact that you acknowledge you feel bad and and want to help your DD makes you a good mom.  It's overwhelming raising children.  They can't tell us what they want, what's wrong...they just cry.  Eventually, you learn what to do and what they need.  It comes with time.  Mom's love to help their DD's...my mom has offered to come stay with us every time I have another child.  I decline, but that's because my DH always takes 2 wks off when we have a baby.  

When it come to her napping, cuddle her before her nap.  Make sure she has a clean diaper on and isn't hungry.  Then just cuddle her and let her fall asleep in your arms.  I've done this with 3 kids now and they all can go to sleep on their own now (for those who believe that rocking your child to sleep makes them not able to sleep on their own).  She's only 3 months old, so she probably won't nap long, but she should be napping often.  And right about this age is when they stop sleeping all the time.  She's going to be awake more than asleep now.  It's normal.  Take the help your mom is offering.  There is no shame in needing help.  Talk to you DH about how you feel.  I'm sure he thinks you're doing an amazing job.  Being a new parent is hard work!!  GL mama...and don't forget you can always come on CM and vent!

Quoting angelbab24:

I had an emergency c section on 7/20, still have stretch marks regardless of how much cocoa butter i use and last week I had a lump removed from my breast (found out Tuesday it was benign, thank God) so I feel ugly with these new scars. I cry all the time and have horrible self esteem (worse then before I was pregnant).

My mom comes over almost every day bc she's retired, to spend time with me and dd but I feel like a burden to her when I ask her to watch dd so I can shower or cook. I know I'm not bc she told me but I hate asking for help and it kills me that I have to now. I just feel like I'm a horrible mom, daughter and wife lately. Plus dd doesn't nap well and recently started screaming every time were in the car. i don't know how to help her and I just feel like I'm failing her. i guess I should call my dr next week.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)