Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What to do with over ripe bananas?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

Go Bananas! | How to freeze over-ripe bananas for future use in baking and smoothies

by KAYLA K on JANUARY 11, 2011

bake-ripe-bananas

Mashed bananas is one of my favorite baking ingredients.  Using ripe bananas in baking is a very time-sensitive issue.  Do you choose a new recipe to try but have no mashed bananas on hand?  Or, do you have a pile of slimy black bananas with no baking supplies on hand?

Freeze bananas to take advantage of their thrifty food qualities. Using ripe bananas for baking or smoothies makes good use of an otherwise undesirable food.  Ripe bananas are often on sale at the grocery store.  You may also purchase a bag of ripe bananas at even more of a discount. Your planned use for the bananas dictates the storage procedures.

Do you plan on using frozen bananas for smoothies? Frozen bananas make a delicious stand-in as ice cubes in smoothies.  Peel ripe bananas, slice into cubes, and place in a zipper-seal plastic bag, canning jar, or other freezer-safe container.  When preparing a smoothie just toss in the frozen banana pieces for an icy treat.

Or, do you plan to use the bananas for baking? Just put the whole banana, peel on, in the freezer.  When you are ready to bake, place the bananas in a bowl and allow to defrost at room temperature.  The bananas may be a little slimy- no need to be squeemish!  Use a kitchen scissors to snip the tip off the banana.  Squeeze the banana “goop” into the bowl and add the rest of your ingredients.

In addition to baking, my family likes ripe bananas on pancakes.  Mom mashes them up and adds a bit of sugar.  An egg in a baking recipe can be substituted with a half mashed banana.

What is your favorite use for overripe bananas?

(I had a bunch of bananas that were getting pretty ripe so I decided to research what I could use them for instead of just tossing them. Curious to see other peoples responses.)

Sarah: Mommy to 2 little monsters. ♥ Mom to Mom Group Mod.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barb10
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Just started using them to make banana bread.I have prob made it 4 times now.Found a recipe on cooks.com using sour cream and its gone in a day! Made it once with choc chips and 3 times plain for my hubby!

TitanicBBL
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Put the peels on my rose bushes.

Put the discarded fruit and/or peels in a plastic container seal the top with plastic wrap and a rubber band. Poke small holes in the plastic wrap. Set it out. Let the fruit flies get in (and they can't seem to get out). Then put in freezer to kill them and set out again. And again, and again... It works.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Banana bread is my favorite.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Oh that sounds good. I will have to search for it.

Quoting Barb10:

Just started using them to make banana bread.I have prob made it 4 times now.Found a recipe on cooks.com using sour cream and its gone in a day! Made it once with choc chips and 3 times plain for my hubby!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM
I use them to make the kids some banana pancakes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:36 PM
I made a crap ton of banana pancake muffins the other day.

Quoting jltplk25:

I use them to make the kids some banana pancakes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyjswish
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I like to make banana smoothies with my over ripe bananas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I freeze mine when I don't have enough to make something with them right then.  My fave to make with them is chocolate chip banana muffins.  YUM!!!

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Thanks for sharing!  I put them in smoothies :).

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I wish we had a blender. I would drink smoothies all the time! 

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Thanks for sharing!  I put them in smoothies :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)