Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Let me count the ways

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this
Oh how i love learnin that i am NOT made to be a teacher. Landon is in kindergarten and some times he gets "homework" (not required for a grade but he earns stickers/money for completing it) sent home. Well one of his assignments is to take a tic tac toe sheet with different tasks and complete 3 in a row. We sailed through writing his name and writing words that started with an M. The counting backwards from 10 and saying his phone number...was a disaster.

I wrote my number down and he said each number as i wrote them. But as soon as i asked what each number was, he totally blanked. He started confusing numbers that just a second ago he was naming. I dont know how to help him with his phone number if he cant remember the first three digits seconds after he hears them. I even tried singing them...didnt work.

HELP!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Girl
I'm in the same boat... I hate helping her I get so frustrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Oh, I could never homeschool my kids...no way.  I could homeschool other kids, just not my own!  To help Aubrey learn my number, we sang it to the tune of some song (I can't remember what song it was right now).  It took a few weeks though.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I hate to say it but im glad im not the only one! Some times its like im speaking to a brick wall! Lol. I noticed he watches my mouth when i talk but ive never really noticed anyone doing that so idk if thats typical.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

No, that doesn't mean you are a bad teacher.  It just goes to show that our "teachers" are going about things the wrong way.  He should have never had this assignment in the first place.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM

No he shouldn't have had it until he knows his numbers.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM

My DGS has 7 book reports he has to do for third grade. You should see how hard they are. It is unbelievable! It's ridiculous for third grade. I didn't do these until high school.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM
They started working on personal information in preschool but even then he struggled with it. He can remember bits of our address and his birthday. I just dont know how to teach him his number, counting, etc when he cant count past 14 nor can he recall what you said. I know hes smart but landon doesnt catch on as quick. Does that make sense? Lol

Quoting SlapItHigh:

No, that doesn't mean you are a bad teacher.  It just goes to show that our "teachers" are going about things the wrong way.  He should have never had this assignment in the first place.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM
My daughter has homework every night and she is in kindergarten and it counts as a grade.
Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I just help my group of kids at work! Lord help me when Liv is in school!

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I think society is pushing kids too early. I think it is better to master what a child is capable of learning rather than assuming sooner is better. I watch my husband with his online class and it seriously amazes me how these peoole made it out of high school and into college. I wrote a piece for dh about the Yoruba tribe in Africa....the students totally mistook what I said and thought that the Cubans and Puerto Ricans influenced the African tribe. >.<

Quoting Janet:

My DGS has 7 book reports he has to do for third grade. You should see how hard they are. It is unbelievable! It's ridiculous for third grade. I didn't do these until high school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN