Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

would you go primitive?

Posted by   + Show Post
So my in-laws are talking about fixing a building up so Dh, myself and our 2 kids can move in while we clear up some debt. To avoid a whole lot of cost, I may have to go with out a kitchen...instead I would have a microwave and a mini fridge. Instead of a toilet I would get some sort of porta johnny that has to be cleaned weekly plus no running water. I want to scream I'll keep my craps shoot of a trailer rather than be stuck in a place that I can't do anything on my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommaFruFru
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Ours is under $400 a mo for rent, utilities, we bought the trailor outright for 6k

Quoting jltplk25:

We are currently living in a mobile home in a trailer park. Lol. The house isn't bad but utilities, house payment, insurance, etc add up fast.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

No. Is move to a cheap apt, or mobile home.

We live in a mobile hone park, rents cheap. So we can save money for our down payment on a house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM
That's cool. We bought ours for 5 or 6k. I don't quite remember. Utilities are anywhere from $230 to 350 a month. Last summer a couple even got over $400. Rent/payment is $321.70 and insurance is around $80 a month.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

Ours is under $400 a mo for rent, utilities, we bought the trailor outright for 6k

Quoting jltplk25:

We are currently living in a mobile home in a trailer park. Lol. The house isn't bad but utilities, house payment, insurance, etc add up fast.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

No. Is move to a cheap apt, or mobile home.

We live in a mobile hone park, rents cheap. So we can save money for our down payment on a house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2gr8tgirls
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I still say you should move to WI.  :)  Hugs love!!

buzymom93
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

i would if i had too... and only since it would be temporary.. it seems like you would have some access to the house right?? so you won't be somewhere way out by yourself.. that will help some...  it will be tough.. hang in there, i am sending hugs your way

Christian Unschooling Mamma to my Adventurous 7yr old, Isaiah and mamma to my oldest, Mario 19yrs old and daughter in law Kristi.... Excited Grandma to my grandson Russel age 17months and my soon to be grandson due Dec. 6th....

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Omg our camp has more amenities. And I wouldn't live there for more than a day. Ick!

salamandersmom
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Well, I guess there are two options here...   It would be better to have a roof over your head - any roof - rather than be homeless...  but on the other hand, with no running water it would be hard to clean up and keep the kids clean.  I would ask that they put in a large tank that could be filled with water, and would gravity feed you water for cooking, cleaning and bathing.  I could live with the chemical camping toilet.  Since it's only water with a little soap, it shouldn't have to be put into a sewer system, could just be dumped outside.  Are you talking about a warm climate area in the country? 

MichelleMc
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I think that anyone can say no way, but when it comes down to it, you do what you have to do. 

I see you can go get showers, etc. So, it isn't as if you don't have access to that. I could do it & if it will get you ahead & get you where you want to be & way better off in the long run, go for it. 

I do like the idea of gravity fed water for cooking & cleaning, you said you had options for bathing, so that is okay. I have a porta potty, and you can get one of those cheaply, you could take it up to the house to dump daily, that would be fine. We use it for a whole camping weekend, no smells etc & 3 of us have used it.

I would just look at it as a "take it back" situation. Take your life back. Get things back on track. Get your finances back on track. Spend time together as a family without all the "extras" that sometimes interfer with us being a family. People lived with less for years, loved & were happy. You can do it, and think of the great outcome!

maribou
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM

While we were building our own house, we moved in with 7 kids and only 1 toilet and 1 bathtub.  No kitchen and I washed dishes in the bathtub.  We also only had concrete or plywood on the floors.  We survived and my kids have something to talk about - how they helped fix things up.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Thank you. :) I was talking to my sil about it when it dawned on me that it would be similar in some ways to camping in a cabin. Lol. Hopefully it'll be much better than what I imagine.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I think that anyone can say no way, but when it comes down to it, you do what you have to do. 

I see you can go get showers, etc. So, it isn't as if you don't have access to that. I could do it & if it will get you ahead & get you where you want to be & way better off in the long run, go for it. 

I do like the idea of gravity fed water for cooking & cleaning, you said you had options for bathing, so that is okay. I have a porta potty, and you can get one of those cheaply, you could take it up to the house to dump daily, that would be fine. We use it for a whole camping weekend, no smells etc & 3 of us have used it.

I would just look at it as a "take it back" situation. Take your life back. Get things back on track. Get your finances back on track. Spend time together as a family without all the "extras" that sometimes interfer with us being a family. People lived with less for years, loved & were happy. You can do it, and think of the great outcome!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM
We aren't going to be homeless. Lol. The whole idea is to have as few bills as possible so that way what debt we have can be paid down quicker. We will be living within 5 ft of my in-law's house so that is where some meals will be cooked and showers for everyone etc. I'd have said hell no if I didn't have access to some form of water. ;)

Quoting salamandersmom:

Well, I guess there are two options here...   It would be better to have a roof over your head - any roof - rather than be homeless...  but on the other hand, with no running water it would be hard to clean up and keep the kids clean.  I would ask that they put in a large tank that could be filled with water, and would gravity feed you water for cooking, cleaning and bathing.  I could live with the chemical camping toilet.  Since it's only water with a little soap, it shouldn't have to be put into a sewer system, could just be dumped outside.  Are you talking about a warm climate area in the country? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN