Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

would you go primitive?

Posted by   + Show Post
So my in-laws are talking about fixing a building up so Dh, myself and our 2 kids can move in while we clear up some debt. To avoid a whole lot of cost, I may have to go with out a kitchen...instead I would have a microwave and a mini fridge. Instead of a toilet I would get some sort of porta johnny that has to be cleaned weekly plus no running water. I want to scream I'll keep my craps shoot of a trailer rather than be stuck in a place that I can't do anything on my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
How awesome! Well hopefully this too will give my kids stories to share. :)

Quoting maribou:

While we were building our own house, we moved in with 7 kids and only 1 toilet and 1 bathtub.  No kitchen and I washed dishes in the bathtub.  We also only had concrete or plywood on the floors.  We survived and my kids have something to talk about - how they helped fix things up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
salamandersmom
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

You know, the sacrifice of living "primitive" would be worth the sacrifice to clear up your debt and saving money.  IN this day and age, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?  If you could keep the idea that you were camping in a cabin, you could live with the "inconveniences.  And wow, think how grateful you'd be when you go somewhere else and have running water!!  (I remember the big ice storm in 1997, when we were out of running water and electricity for a week.  I would flip that darn light switch, and turn on the taps a hundred times a day.  We had to melt snow to flush the toilet.  I was SOOOO happy when the power came back on, and brought the water with it!)  And, even without a cistern for gravity fed water, you could use a garden hose to fill a 20 gallon tote to use for cleaning, and simple wash ups, rather than going into your in-laws house at all hours.  The privacy issue is smart on their part.  You would definitely want some space of your own...

And as for cooking... if there is electricity, you can cook with an electric griddle, an electric fry pan, a crock pot, and they even have those giant crock pots which can work as a counter top oven.  The more I think of it, the more I think this could be done. 

Quoting jltplk25:

We aren't going to be homeless. Lol. The whole idea is to have as few bills as possible so that way what debt we have can be paid down quicker. We will be living within 5 ft of my in-law's house so that is where some meals will be cooked and showers for everyone etc. I'd have said hell no if I didn't have access to some form of water. ;)

Quoting salamandersmom:

Well, I guess there are two options here...   It would be better to have a roof over your head - any roof - rather than be homeless...  but on the other hand, with no running water it would be hard to clean up and keep the kids clean.  I would ask that they put in a large tank that could be filled with water, and would gravity feed you water for cooking, cleaning and bathing.  I could live with the chemical camping toilet.  Since it's only water with a little soap, it shouldn't have to be put into a sewer system, could just be dumped outside.  Are you talking about a warm climate area in the country? 

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Yes, I know it can be done. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Lol

Quoting salamandersmom:

You know, the sacrifice of living "primitive" would be worth the sacrifice to clear up your debt and saving money.  IN this day and age, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?  If you could keep the idea that you were camping in a cabin, you could live with the "inconveniences.  And wow, think how grateful you'd be when you go somewhere else and have running water!!  (I remember the big ice storm in 1997, when we were out of running water and electricity for a week.  I would flip that darn light switch, and turn on the taps a hundred times a day.  We had to melt snow to flush the toilet.  I was SOOOO happy when the power came back on, and brought the water with it!)  And, even without a cistern for gravity fed water, you could use a garden hose to fill a 20 gallon tote to use for cleaning, and simple wash ups, rather than going into your in-laws house at all hours.  The privacy issue is smart on their part.  You would definitely want some space of your own...

And as for cooking... if there is electricity, you can cook with an electric griddle, an electric fry pan, a crock pot, and they even have those giant crock pots which can work as a counter top oven.  The more I think of it, the more I think this could be done. 

Quoting jltplk25:

We aren't going to be homeless. Lol. The whole idea is to have as few bills as possible so that way what debt we have can be paid down quicker. We will be living within 5 ft of my in-law's house so that is where some meals will be cooked and showers for everyone etc. I'd have said hell no if I didn't have access to some form of water. ;)

Quoting salamandersmom:

Well, I guess there are two options here...   It would be better to have a roof over your head - any roof - rather than be homeless...  but on the other hand, with no running water it would be hard to clean up and keep the kids clean.  I would ask that they put in a large tank that could be filled with water, and would gravity feed you water for cooking, cleaning and bathing.  I could live with the chemical camping toilet.  Since it's only water with a little soap, it shouldn't have to be put into a sewer system, could just be dumped outside.  Are you talking about a warm climate area in the country? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

hope things work out for you...

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Actually it has! Instead of making it into a "house", we are just putting the beds and clothing out there. Woohoo!

Quoting delanna6two:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM

That's good:) glad to hear it worked out for you!

Quoting jltplk25:

Actually it has! Instead of making it into a "house", we are just putting the beds and clothing out there. Woohoo!

Quoting delanna6two:

Pammi86
by Pamela on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Eek! I do not think I could deal with that!

my4loves4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I wouldnt either! I live in a tiny apartment and my SO keeps trying to get me to move our family to his moms, we wouldnt have to pay bills, and shes a live in home care somewhere else so wed pretty much have the place to ourselves and i still wont do it! I've come to far in life to live under someone elses rules and life.

Baybeelove88
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Not unless that was the better option.... It's not...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

No way!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN