Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have knee replacements? piog

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees 16 years ago at age 33. I have been to anyone to check on them since then. They are REALLY bad now. I have an appointment on Thursday and I know my knees are bad enough that replacements will be mentioned. I am all for it, but a bit scared. I don't sleep at night because of the pain, I can't stand in 1 spot for more than 5 minutes, I can only bicycle for 7-10 miles, then the next day, I can't walk at all. It's really bad.

Just wanting to know other's experiences, if you don't mind sharing.

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I never had replacements but my friend did and it wasn't too bad. They do it different these days.

cherylam
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM

ok, honey... been there, had both knees done 4 years ago, then had knee revision surgery in April of this year.  I too suffered for years with severe pain, and being waaay overweight didn't help.  By the time I actually talked to a knee surgeon, I was bone on bone in both knees.  The first knee was the end of October, and all I can tell you, and this applies to both knees, the first two weeks are the roughest.  Keep your walker close, and don't be afraid to use pain meds.  After the first two weeks, you will begin to turn the corner.  Now is the time for physical therapy,  At first I was convinced the therapist I had was an imp of the devil, lol.  Push yourself though, bend, bend, bend.  Within 6 weeks I was walking without anything... no walker, no cane.  Then they did the second knee.  After the first, I knew what to expect and pushed myself even harder.  This last April both knees swelled and the dr thought they were infected, and revised both knees at the same time....I swear no matter what I will never do that again.  Turns out they weren't infected, I have rheumatoid arthritis.  After everything we've (my Dh took such good care of me I can never say thank you enough, he even got me on the pot and off it the first few days at home) been through, I can walk without pain for hours, and because I'm walking the way I should with little to no pain I'm losing weight and my bottom is firming up.  You may doubt at first that it's worth it, but I can testify it is more than worth it...I carry bales of hay & straw, walk my dogs, and feed the farm animals without tears of pain.  Good luck, and if you need a shoulder to cry on or just someone to answer questions, pm me!

KyliesMom5
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM

My mom had one several years ago and did great. She started doing these excersises that actaully helped speed up her recovery.  Before her surgery, she was on crutches all the time and in so much pain. Now she gets around like she did before she needed the crutches.

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Bump

I haven't but my grandpa did. However there's a huge difference from a 33 year old woman and an 80 year old man so...

momof3jam
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I haven't personally, but my grandma has not too long ago and I took care of her. She was severly overweight BECAUSE of her knees and being unable to exercise (barely even walk). The doctor wanted to only do one knee at a time, but she refused and had him do both.

Truth is, it was excrutiating. She couldn't move, therapy was terrible. She's a tough woman and that was one of the few times I've seen her cry. She felt like it would never get better.

That being said, she's recovered now, and wished she had done this many years ago! She said the temporary pain after was sooo worth getting rid of the lifetime of daily pain.

Sorry, but had to be honest  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)