Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Teacher cuts disabled student's hair

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A 7 year old down syndrome girl named Jessica had several inches of her hair cut off by an assistant teacher. Originally the teacher told her mother she cut off about four inches of hair because she had food in it. When her child got home the mother saw it was more like eight inches. A letter later revealed that her hair was cut because she wouldn't stop taking it down. Turns out Jessica loved her hair and now won't even get in front of a mirror.

1. Do you feel that it is ok if teachers take action on children without a parent's consent first?

2. How would your child(ren) feel if something personal like this was done to them?

3. How would YOU react if something personal was done to your child and you found out after-the-fact?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

And be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
itsblissmas
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Quoting Cafe Beth:

1. Do you feel that it is ok if teachers take action on children without a parent's consent first? Absolutely not.

2. How would your child(ren) feel if something personal like this was done to them? Mine are young so they would feel like they did something really bad. My oldest one is sensitive and I can just see him crying thinking he was in trouble for something.

3. How would YOU react if something personal was done to your child and you found out after-the-fact? I would probably start with the person directly over this person's head. If I wasn't satisfied I'd go above that person's head. I would continue until my child was made aware that this should NOT have happened to them and the person apologized and meant it.

would like us to serve you!! I would like a hot chocolate and a s'mores cupcake please.

justme_onlyme7
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Awwww, thank you Cafe Beth.  Sure brought a smile to my face. :)

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Thanks for sharing with us. I hope this helps you feel better:

Quoting justme_onlyme7:

1. Do you feel that it is ok if teachers take action on children without a parent's consent first?

No, it's not ok!

2. How would your child(ren) feel if something personal like this was done to them?

Embarrassed and possibly have low self esteem of themselves.  I'm saying this out of experience with a teacher.

3. How would YOU react if something personal was done to your child and you found out after-the-fact?

Most definitely would go talk with the teacher as well as the principal and if needs be then the Superintendeant as  well.

Not feeling good today so not saying much.  Hope your having a good day Cafe Beth.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Today is picture day at our school too.

Quoting goddess99:

OMG

today is picture day at my dd's school and I spent 45 minutes curling, fluffing, and primping my dd's hair. If anyone touches it I will break their fingers. If a teacher would have balls that big to actually cut my dd's hair, she better be stronger than me cause I'm going after her.

Cafe Beth
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!! I hope you enjoy this drink. :)

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

I would be very upset, I do not feel that the child did anything wrong by taking her hair down and therefore it was not the teachers job to decide that it needed to be cut, even had she stuck with her original story that the child had gotten food in the hair it is not her place to cut it. This incident makes it very clear the kind of person and teacher this is. She is a teacher that is willing to lie, and disregard my childs feelings and my right as the parent of the child. If she was willing to lie about this what else is she does she lie about, what else does she do to make things convenient for her with little disregard for the children she is supposed to be teaching and supporting. I would be absolutely livid, I would also not be okay with just talking to the teacher or the teacher just being reprimanded. This teacher blatantly lied and the only reason she probably told the truth is because someone probably questioned why she cut the hair instead of washing it out.

Cafe Beth
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I would definitely freak too.

Quoting shauna.robinson:

What?? The TA had NO right to do that! I would be so pissed! You dont cut a childs hair or do anything like that without their parents permission! I get on my husband about asking the parents first before he gives friends kids things like candy or soda cause not all parents are ok with it. I would freak if someone cut my kids hair!! 

Can I get an iced Vente Caramel Macchiato with 5 shots espresso please?

Cafe Beth
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Thank you for sharing with us. Enjoy your treats!

Quoting itsblissmas:

Quoting Cafe Beth:

1. Do you feel that it is ok if teachers take action on children without a parent's consent first? Absolutely not.

2. How would your child(ren) feel if something personal like this was done to them? Mine are young so they would feel like they did something really bad. My oldest one is sensitive and I can just see him crying thinking he was in trouble for something.

3. How would YOU react if something personal was done to your child and you found out after-the-fact? I would probably start with the person directly over this person's head. If I wasn't satisfied I'd go above that person's head. I would continue until my child was made aware that this should NOT have happened to them and the person apologized and meant it.

would like us to serve you!! I would like a hot chocolate and a s'mores cupcake please.

justme_onlyme7
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Just a little add on. My husband was wondering if the child really did have food in the hair then why didn't the teacher just wash it out. 

Quoting justme_onlyme7:

No, it's not ok!

Embarrassed and possibly have low self esteem of themselves.  I'm saying this out of experience with a teacher.

Most definitely would go talk with the teacher as well as the principal and if needs be then the Superintendeant as  well.

Not feeling good today so not saying much.  Hope your having a good day Cafe Beth.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:41 PM

she would be taking my child to the saloon at her own expense and fixing the hair that she messed up. Not only that but she would be jobless after that was done

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I sure could use a steaming hot cup of cocoa with french vanilla cream.  Its been a rough day today. 

Quoting Cafe Beth:

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A 7 year old down syndrome girl named Jessica had several inches of her hair cut off by an assistant teacher. Originally the teacher told her mother she cut off about four inches of hair because she had food in it. When her child got home the mother saw it was more like eight inches. A letter later revealed that her hair was cut because she wouldn't stop taking it down. Turns out Jessica loved her hair and now won't even get in front of a mirror.

1. Do you feel that it is ok if teachers take action on children without a parent's consent first? ~ NO! 

2. How would your child(ren) feel if something personal like this was done to them? ~ Well, if something like this were done, my kids would be in such a rage and a funk at the same time.  

3. How would YOU react if something personal was done to your child and you found out after-the-fact? ~ I would demand retribution immediately! And if that doesn't happen, then that teacher would feel the           same sting as what my child felt. Period. Do not touch my child.                  I would gladly go to jail to gain a little justice for my child. 

undefined

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM

1. Do you feel that it is ok if teachers take action on children without a parent's consent first?

Hell no. 

I would definitely have to have a talk with the teacher, the principal, and a lawyer.

3. How would YOU react if something personal was done to your child and you found out after-the-fact?

See answer 2. I would call the school and set up a meeting. Then call a lawyer and have that person meet me there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)