Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Real life drama not a LTM, so frustrating

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

I normally only read the emails I get about other mothers and I enjoy them, but I found myself needing to vent, and seek something, don't know what, lol But to start off I've been having a very hard time with my son school, I say son because I've had him and his sister since they were babies, they are my daughter kids, she's not able to care for them due to her health, I refuse to let them miss out on a mother child bond and become a statistic, I'm a mother of 4 3 are grown and my baby is 13, so imagine the change and starting all over again, they both were in pampers when I first got them. They are now 4 and 5 and are very happy kids now and feel loved and secure it was a hard long battle but we are getting there...But my son is in the 1st I've been having so hard times with the school, fighting for help for him with reading and his social abilities, well with hard work, blood, sweat and tears we made it through kindergarden he was very happy..So we get to 1st I immediately stayed in very close contact with the teacher to make sure he's getting the help he needs, i.e. speech therapy, and any classes they should offer to help a child that in need of extra help, they should I am a tax payer. So, after finally meeting with school officials the only help they offered was to put him back in the kindergarden. To make a long story short, I refused because he has been through a lot and he is a very smart kid and very eager to learn they admitted themselves but didn't offer help for him. So now I'm homeschooling, it is very difficult but he make it easy because he is growing by leaps and doing very well, reading is still our struggle but that is due to he is showing signs or adhd and Dyslexia, I've made appts with his doctor to evaluate for both, but several family members have let me know that putting him on meds will be a mistake, I'm at a lost, I've cried many tears over this, but I have to get him help and assure him he is a very smart kid and can do it...Thanks for reading, sorry for the book, I'm just at a lost....Excuse mistake but writing this was hard and emotional...

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XandersMomma07
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has just recently been diagnosed with ADHD and many people tell me that medicating him isn't the best but th way I see it I know my son and I know what he needs and for me and him it is the best. He has an appt. to get it started in 2 weeks. I think if the child needs the meds and you feel that is whats best do it. Do what is best for the child don't worr what others think.

kellybelly95
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I Dont know If it is the same in the state your in, but my son has ADHD also. He was having a hard time in school because of it. The scool started him on an iep.An educational plan that will specifically help with what he needs. And they cant keep him back a grade. Sometimes medicine is the best option. If it is going to help him then you should give it to him. The are screenings that docs do to make sure they do have it. If you are unsure then do all the screenings and you wll feel better. It is hard but it sounds like your doing a good job.

maribou
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

If he is having problems with reading it doesn't mean he needs to be on medication.  I have 2 sons that are dyslexic.  One also is LD in written expression, add and has asperger's syndrome.

I also found a wonderful online school that my children Loved and grew by leaps and bounds.  It is the K-12 program.

Anyway, good luck - I'm sure he will grow by leaps and bounds with such loving support. 

dirtydianamom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Just finished our work for today, thanks so much for the replies, I will admit I'm scared, scared of failing him, scared of not doing enough to help him, my heart says to do what ever he needs to help him no even if its meds, when I first got them I got a family therapist, and I'm exhausted but I'm not going to stop I will contiue to fight for him and to find any resource I need to help him. Thanks very very much for taking the time to post a reply.

jdmom2002
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Just wanted to say that we are thinking of you....your children are very lucky to have such a loving mother....(wether you gave birth to them or not, they are yours), maybe the doctor will have some other ideas to try before you have to use medicine.  I know these decisions are hard, just follow your instincts. hugs

dirtydianamom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I want to add my baby just started kindergarden and she is a little more out going but I'm not taking nothing to chance, I've developed a great relationship with her teacher already and we are working together to make sure she is learning and doing well, so far we are doing better with her reading and growing socially, she love to sing and dance, so when she get home its her turn for me to teach......Did I say I'm tired? lol But the love I have for them make it all worth it. I have to be careful to not let my tween fall through the crack and feel left out so I have to give her my attention and time as well.

dirtydianamom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Thanks very much for the hug, and very nice support.

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I will say that with ADHD medication just really depends. However, I wouldn't just go to your child's regular peditrician for an ADHD evaluation. I would try to get a referal to a behavioral pediatrician. My nephew has ADHD and was put on medications. We found that when he was younger if we eliminated certain things from his diet (preservatives, sugar, dyes, etc) that he was able to focus better. Not 100% but better. However, as he got older it became harder to get him to stay with his elimination diet. So he was put back on the medications. He is 15 yrs old and even he notices the difference between his focusing with and without his medications. If he is ADHD I reccomend the book "Teaching the Tiger" it as about teaching the child who has ADHD. It's a wonderful book.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I hope homeschooling works out for you and your son.

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
im ADD and was homeschooled. meds worked wonders for me. i say if his dr says do it try it out and if theres no change ask how to wean him off of it. just make sure its long enough after he first starts it for it to get in his system. and i hope u can get him help w the dyslexia too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)