Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Cloth diapers

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM
  • 33 Replies
Did anybody do it? What can you tell me?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2Hopefull
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Yes. Anything you want to know. There are several cloth groups on cafemom too.

OliviasMommy611
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Where did you order them?

Quoting 2Hopefull:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2Hopefull
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Most of our GroVia diapers I bought from Amazon. I also have a lot of WAHM made diapers. Check out hyenacart and browse through the Congos. I really like Cuties, Baby Bums, Boytique, and the Faries one (can't remember the first part of their congo, it starts with an F... Fluff maybe?). Then eventually I started making my own. Do you know what kind you want to use or price range you want to try to stay in?

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Where did you order them?

Quoting 2Hopefull:

DixieFlower
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I love cloth. I used them with my first son and am now using them with my second son.  I got most of mine off of ebay from WAHM's. I've also gotten several on FB from WAHM's.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I LOVE cloth. Though I only switched a few months ago so I am no help on the tiny stage. I've bought some diapers from cloth diaper swap groups on FB, cloth diaper groups on CM, diaperswappers.com & a store called Cotton Babies.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I did hours upon hours of research on all the different types of diapers, prices, & just general info. 

I know a lot of people are against buying China diapers. But, I have some Alva Baby diapers & those are my favorite. I find myself using those before I use diapers made by WAHMs or from the US diaper companies.  And at $5 a diaper its easy to build a starter stash for cheap with them.

I use a mixture of pocket diapers & waterproof covers with prefolds. I really like doing both. But, I can imagine there are pros and cons to certain types of diapers based on babys age.

Some helpful links with tons of info:

http://www.cottonbabies.com/clothdiapers.php

http://www.cafemom.com/group/34752/forums/read/10422459/Cloth_Diapering_Basics  (I think you need to join the Cuties with Cloth Booties group on here to see this one.)

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html   Cloth diaper safe detergent chat

http://wazoodle.com/index.php/diapermaking/101-washing-diapers/     Helpful info on washing diapers

PEEK05
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I am cloth diapering my toddler right now and will be cloth diapering the baby that's due in February too.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Cloth Diaper Types

Flat: A large flat single layer of fabric, typically cotton that can be folded many different ways to be used as a diaper. Most people would cover this with a waterproof or water resistant cover. You can improvise and use things such as receiving blankets to make mock flats.
You need a cover to make this type of diaper waterproof.
Prefold: A flat, layered, rectangular diaper with extra layers for absorbency in the center. Commonly used with a fastener and waterproof cover. These are probably the most economical diaper you can buy at only $1-3 each. They can be folded in a variety of ways and held together with pins or a Snappi or they can be tri-folded and used in a cover. These can also be re-purposed as cleaning rags or used as inserts or doublers in another diaper.

Fitted: A shaped diaper that includes elasticized legs like other modern cloth diapers but without a layer of PUL (waterproof fabric). These diapers may have the absorbency sewn in like an all-in-one, they may have a pocket for stuffing, and they may have snap in or sewn on layer(s) of absorbency. Fitted diapers are great for night time use. They allow maximum airflow and when combined with a fleece, wool, or acrylic cover they become very water resistant, usually more then a diaper with PUL.

Pocket: A diaper with either an outer layer of PUL or a hidden layer of PUL with either snaps or an aplix closure. These diapers have a stay-dry inner made of many different types of materials like microchamois, minky, velour, and fleece. These diapers have a pocket opening that allows you to stuff as little or as much absorbency as you feel is needed. It is the most common type of diaper and is very easy to use for caregivers when pre-stuffed.
You do NOT need a cover to make this type of diaper waterproof.

All In One (AIO):
 These are often described as the easiest diapers for caregivers. They are usually sized diapers that have all the layers of absorbency sewn right into one single diaper. They require no stuffing but they often do not clean as well as a diaper with openings and they take much longer to dry.
You do NOT need a cover to make this type of diaper waterproof.

All In Two (AI2): Similar to an AIO, but with a removable absorbent layer for easier washing and faster drying. Absorbent layer is usually snapped in place inside the diaper, sitting directly against baby's skin.
You do NOT need a cover to make this type of diaper waterproof.

Hybrid: A diaper system that consists of a shell that has the option of both cloth and disposable liners. These are often the most expensive diapering route, but the disposable inserts come in handy when camping or on  vacation without access to a washing machine. 

So now that you have chosen to cloth diaper and know which type you are going to use, start stocking your stash! My next post will be how to launder your diapers. I will show you step by step how to do it, and you will see how easy it is. Welcome to the cloth diapering world! I hope I have made it easier on you. I know it can be overwhelming and confusing at first but once you get the hang of it and learn the 'lingo' it is easy and awesome!

I don't think you really "need" the must haves on her list. I started basic. Just pocket diapers with inserts & stored them in an old laundry basket. I make my own wipe solution. And cloth wipes can be made very easily as well. 

Kaylawv2
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM
I like rockingbabybootie. They are reasonably priced and made well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM

p.s. Are you expecting!? Or just asking info for someone else? Sorry for the massive information overload lol. I have a whole bookmark section on my toolbar for cloth diaper stuff. haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)